Is there an African animal you wouldn't shoot?

Rule 303

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Australia, New Zealand, Zimbabwe & Namibia
Interesting that so many mention no interest in hunting Rhino "as there are so few"...

Irrespective of how many there are they will always be a hunt able population...

Best thing that could happen for Black Rhino conservation would be to make them more accessible to hunt..

I think one of the best things for Black Rhino conservation would be to take the tracking collars off them. Make it harder for the poachers and the poachers handlers to find them.

Cam Moon

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I too don't understand the "No Rhino" mentality. Even the black ones. If they are past maturity and cannot breed anymore then they aren't contributing anything to the others. If they are hunted (especially at the price they fetch) then people and animals benefit. And I think a bullet is a more humane way to die than starvation and disease. (My 2¢)

Mike Van Horn

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
For me Africa is all about a Cape Buffalo. Maybe that will change after being there for the first time. Hopefully in 2021

BigSteve57

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, NRA, Local gun clubs & shooting range.
Hunted
USA(GA,MD,MT,PA,TN), Namibia
Quite a few posts say no to this or that type of game animal...I'm NOT for a second questioning anyone's moral or ethical choices. However (you knew this was coming :cool:) would an animal being obviously sick or seriously wounded change your calculus? For example, I wouldn't shoot a primate or elephant. Ever. However if it were suffering and near death I probably would assuming it were otherwise legal for me to do so. I'd also try and have plenty of CYA documentation. But perhaps that's just being humane and not really the essence of the OP.

Philip Glass

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.dorper.net
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Cameroon, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, TX, NM
Giraffe: I still love my wife, she tolerates my hunting BUT SIMPLY WOULD NOT SEE HER WAY AROUND ME SHOOTING A GIRAFFE!!!
Rhino: I have darted a rhino ( green hunt) but would not kill one.. to rare and being poached to extinction.

Males don’t have babies! Hunting older bulls does nothing to the future population. But that obvious especially on this forum.
Like I said I’d hunt anything that was legal and ethical and I could afford it.
Philip

Philip Glass

AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.dorper.net
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Cameroon, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, TX, NM
Elephant, rhino, hippo, giraffe for sure. Nothing against anyone who does. Aside from not wanting to, not worth the backlash for me

You should not let others dictate what you hunt. Just my 2 cents.

Trail Rated

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
I have no interest in primates, including baboons. Or those cute little dik-diks. I’d like to have a leopard but don’t want to sit in a blind for several days.

I think I’d be OK with everything else, though.

Scott CWO

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
SCI, WSF, RMEF, GSCO, and NRA
Hunted
Zimbabwe, Mozambique x3, Tanzania and CAR. Tajikistan, Canada, Mexico, AK, WY, NM, SD, CO, UT, AZ, NV
I have no interest in primates, including baboons. Or those cute little dik-diks. I’d like to have a leopard but don’t want to sit in a blind for several days.

I think I’d be OK with everything else, though.
There are remote areas where a daylight leopard can be taken in the afternoon. I got mine at 4:50pm in the afternoon on my first day in the blind. I hunted plains game and buffalo for a few days while at the same time hanging baits. The operator shoots a lot of daylight leopards. I booked a cancellation hunt from a hunter who had killed four with his bow in daylight. With very few people in the area, the leopards are not as skittish and will visit baits in the afternoons.

Charles de Ribeau

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life
Hunted
Namibia, RSA
I think Giraffe is off the table for me and the main reason is a divorce would seriously hurt my finances thus making it harder to go to Africa, lmao!
That's my story for elephant. My wife tolerates everything else and doesn't complain about the cost of my addiction. Putting an addition on our house for my trophy room was her idea. If there is only one animal that she would object to me killing, then I guess I can pass on that. Of course, if I had to shoot on in "self defense"...

Ridge Top Ranch

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, NRA
Hunted
U.S. Zimbabwe, South Africa, Northwest & Limpopo
There are animals in various parts of the world I would not shoot. Not because of moral/ethical issues. Some critters don't do anything for me. Sheep, tiny ten are ones that come to mind. Once had a PH tell me to shoot a Klipspringer he thought would go top 10 SCI. I passed and he asked to borrow my rifle to shoot. Unfortunately it got away before he could shoot.

Desert Dog

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Cheetah is at the top of my no-shoot list. I also have no desire to kill critters like bat-eared foxes or porcupine that are not really pests or food. I find no personal honor in wasteful/useless/indiscriminate killing.

wildfowler.250

AH member
Reaction score
You should not let others dictate what you hunt. Just my 2 cents.

Appreciate that. But it can knock on to your work and life it it blows up online - remember Cecil the lion? Or Kendall Jones receiving lots of abuse. There’s a lot of hunting out there that doesn’t cause as much grief. Maybe when I get older I’ll care less!

Ridgewalker

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa: Limpopo, Northwest; USA: Ak, Mt, Wy, Co, Ne, Ks, Nv, NM, Tx
“If it flies, it dies; if it hops it flops; if it crawls it falls.” an old man once told me (back when I wasn’t one). As long as it’s a hunt and not a shoot, I pay my way and firmly believe I help conserve wildlife and mankind. JMO
If I could afford a 30 day big 5 hunt (if you still could) I would spend my last 30 days of life attempting it.
I believe everyone knows what is right for themselves, but not necessarily for others. We are all different individuals.
I have mentioned on other posts that I grew up varmint hunting and called my first gray fox at 6 years old. I still love hunting predators to the max. If that was all I got to hunt the rest of my life, I’d be perfectly happy.
Just enjoy the hunt what ever you are chasing!

Michael Dean

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
The only animal that comes to mind is the Hippo. There's absolutely no challenge in shooting a 3000 pound pig floating in the water. The animal is a floating target, no challenge whatsoever. Same thing with a Crocodile., the animal just lays there. Granted the brain for these two animals make for a small target but aside from that there's no incentive. On top of that there's no trophy, who'd want to mount a Hippo head. At best you'd boil the head down for the skull.

Ridgewalker

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa: Limpopo, Northwest; USA: Ak, Mt, Wy, Co, Ne, Ks, Nv, NM, Tx
There is a huge danger difference hunting hippo on dry land vs in the water.
Also hunting croc is just not done when they are in the water. They are not the same as hunting our American alligators. Personally I liked my croc hunt enough that I plan to do it again.
The nice thing is if no one else has any desire to hunt the game I like to, there’s just that many more for me!;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Urocchhgf

Latest profile posts

Pondoro wrote on Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS's profile.
Hello...could you please pm me regarding what species available on this fly-camp offer....can cape buffalo be taken for instance..? Trophy prices..?
matt vejar wrote on kevin masters's profile.
Kevin,
Played rookie league for the Yankees in Paintsville after winning the College World Series at Fullerton State, in1979. All I could think about was the movie “Deliverance”- lived up in a hollow with some other players. Refused to go on a moonshine run because it was a dry county-no way. Met some of the nicest people on the planet there! Van Lear the home of Loretta Lynn was highlight of summer LOL.
Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.