Is there an African animal you wouldn't shoot?

Rob404

Bronze supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, Member Minnesota Horse and Hunt,,Caribou Hunt Club
Hunted
Illinois,Wisconsin,Michigan Limpopo Province South Africa
For me No Cheetahs or Leopards, also the Little Five

Hearties

AH veteran
Reaction score
Member of
SAHGCA, SA WIngshooters, CPS, FBSSC
Hunted
RSA, Botswana
Any of the cats, with the exception of caracal.
Elephant, rhino and hippo, with the exception of identified “problem” animals.
The tiny 10.
Apes (not monkeys or baboons).

Rule 303

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Australia, New Zealand, Zimbabwe & Namibia
Any of the big five that are breeding age and enormous. Like say a 100lb a side bull Elephant. I much prefer the genetic misfires and the very old, after all they don't become old by being stupid.:D

Odinsraven

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life Membe,Icelandic Hunting Club SKOTVIS , BASC (UK) Countryside Alliance (UK)r
Hunted
UK ,Ireland, Bulgaria,Iceland,Czech Republic
Poachers ......... as have not been able to get a licence ..... would be unethical to hunt without

IdaRam

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member, NAHC Life Member, SCI, DSC, Wild Sheep Foundation, NSSF
Hunted
Idaho, Montana, Utah, Wyoming, California, Alberta Canada, South Africa, Zimbabwe
Poachers ......... as have not been able to get a licence ..... would be unethical to hunt without
S. S. S.
Did you not get the memo? There is an ethical deferment on these. You just can’t post pics or a hunt report :)

BWH

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Ducks Unlimited, Texas Trophy Hunters, Trout Unlimited, SCI, DSC & NRA
Hunted
USA & RSA
Shoot or hunt????? If it was a culling operation then I'd shoot whatever was called for or that I signed up for. Hunting.... somethings don't interest me as much as other. Example I passed on a an African Wildcat that @Limpopo Big Game Safaris called in at night within yards. That was a cool experience, but passed on shot. Not interested in Rhino, but would dart. No on Giraffe..... I don't have a problem taken things indiscriminately (i.e. Feral or predators), that need to go.

Mort Hill

Gold supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Life Member SCI, Director-Music City SCI Chapter, NWTF, NRA
Hunted
SA, Zambia, Tanzania
BTW - all venomous snakes plus any snakes that might possibly be venomous or are friends with a venomous one go on another list - the Must-Kill list.
Not only Must Kill, must behead, mutilate beyond identification, burn and then feed to wild pigs! Sorry. Don’t like snakes....

Mark Biggerstaff

Silver supporter
Bronze supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
The only animal I can say positively I wouldn’t shoot is Rhino. There are others I am not really interested in but would shoot at some point

kevin masters

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
us mexico alaska south africa
I think Giraffe is off the table for me and the main reason is a divorce would seriously hurt my finances thus making it harder to go to Africa, lmao!
Lots of things I'm not interested in but wouldn't say never. And of course anything that does not have a healthy population.

ufg8r93

Bronze supporter
AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI, DSC
Hunted
USA: GA, FL, SD, WI, WY, Limpopo SA, North West SA, England, Saskatchewan
Only rhino and elephant for me, and elephant is only on the list because of the missus. Rhino only due to scarcity.

It's funny how different we all are - I love hunting the tiny 10 and some of you have no interest. No one seems interested in giraffe and it's on my younger son's top 5 list. Just an observation.

Bushpig4Ever

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Germany, Slovenia, Sardinia, England, Namibia, Zimbabwe, South Africa
After 40 years of living and hunting in Southern Africa I’m only interested in hunting buffalo and bushpig. All the other animals I like to watch but won’t shoot, except some antelopes for the pot.

Aaron Nietfeld

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Canada, South Africa
Giraffe- I could sit and watch them all day in the bush

Rhino- I’ve never see one, but in my mind it wouldn’t be much of a hunt, but I could be wrong. Also it will be forever above my pay grade!

cmk

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Sweden, Mauritius
I don't think I would be very interested in shooting rhino, elephant, hippo, leopard, chimp, gorilla, giraffe (all for the reasons mentioned previously) - unless it was a certified problem animal, or if a finishing shot is called for (wounded, sick or really old/starving animal encountered) - but that would be an act of mercy, not really be a hunting situation.

Okapi - super cool hide, but VERY scarce. Don't think I could pull the trigger there.

TravisfromNC

AH member
Reaction score
As long as it is ethical, fair chase and legal I would consider any animal on lisence.

In my opinion not hunting an animal for fear of public backlash is counted as a win by the antis. Doubly no money is exchanged for trophy fee so the species loses as well... the main focus should be on explaining to friend/acquaintances that the trigger pull on that animal is only 1 percentage of the experience and not necessarily a hunters favorite part of the hunt. That it’s the chase, the tracking, the pursuit, the adventure, the travel, the research the Conservation before and after the hunt that brings us together as hunters and conservationists.

Latest profile posts

20 day hunt in May 2022 with Zana Botes hard part now starting the wait
Better a fool on his own than a wise man at someone else's discretion
... F. Nietzsche
perry madl wrote on Ignatius of Antioch's profile.
Is your double still available?
I am interested in Safari Animal Paintings