Is the 9.3 x 62 enough gun?

Quaticman

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Namibia
Would you consider a bolt action 9.3 x 62 an adequate cartridge to hunt the big coastal grizzly bears of BC/Alaska?
Other potential candidates in my gun safe are a .338 RUM, .458 Win Mag both bolt actions and a double rifle chambered in .500 Nitro Express.
Of these four firearms, which do you think is the best choice?

What are the scopes on the 4 choices? That should be the deciding factor. What are expected shooting ranges and light conditions? Your 9.62 or 338 would seem to be best choice.
The 9.3 x 62 has a peep sight, the .338 RUM has a Nikon 6-24x, the .458 Win Mag has a 1-4x Trijicon and the .500 Nitro Express double has iron sights regulated at 50, 75 and 100 yards.

I shot Noth my grizzlies with a short barrel 375 Ruger and 260 grain. Nosler Partitions going about 2520 fps at the muzzle. Not a lot more than a 9.3x62 if I recall.

First bear took a hit through the lungs, spun a couple times and dropped. The second was hit through the lungs. He rolled over and turned towards me and I took a brain shot. I have no idea how far he would have made it without the second but probably not far. We've shot lots of black bears with a 308 and they don't go far with a lung hit.

So your 9.3x62 will work, just take a good lung shot.

Now here is what is more important.
1. Alaska can be wet. I'd take whichever rifle is most weather proof. Not a place for a classic double!

2. I would want a lowered powered scope. You could shoot a bear a 200 yards (if the guide trusts you) or it might be close.

Also, a lot of guys talk about breaking a bears shoulder. I've seen bears traveling very fast with a broken shoulder. I think a big hole in the heart/lung area is more important. Learn bear anatomy. There lungs are a bit farther back than in a whitetail.

The 9.3 x 62 has a peep sight, the .338 RUM has a Nikon 6-24x, the .458 Win Mag has a 1-4x Trijicon and the .500 Nitro Express double has iron sights regulated at 50, 75 and 100 yards.
I went on one unsuccessful spring hunt in Southeast Alaska. We didn’t find the bear we were looking for but I was anticipating a 100-200 yard shot in tide flats in spring. In fall walking salmon streams I understand the shot can be in very dark conditions. I’d ask other’s opinions but I would invest in a low power illuminated reticle for your 9.3x62 if that’s what you’d like to use.

i would put a 1-6x quality scope o the 9.3 and take it hunting.

the 338 rum is over scoped for brown bear hunting

the 458 win mag would do a fine job as well and is well scoped

the 500 nitro will limit some of your opportunities due to no scope and the rifle will take a beating in the harsh alaska environment. but, if you get a closer range shot on a brown bear will of course smash it with extreme prejudice!

I'd opt for the 9.3x62 or the .458 WM. WAY too much scope on the 338 if the bear happens to get danger close before you can pull the trigger. And I'm pretty certain I wouldn't want to hump around a heavy double in the kind of terrain where bears are ordinarily found.

You didn't say when you were going, so I assume either June or August/September next year. That's enough time to buy some glass for the 9.3 and get it dialed in. I have a 1-5x24 VX5 on mine, and have no trouble shooting 200 yards with that setup.

If you don't want to take that route, then the 458 sounds like your best option, maybe 350 gr Barnes at around 2400 fps will have plenty of energy and still be flat enough to take a 200 yard shot without having to muck around with holdover.

No bear walks the earth that can’t be handled with the 9.3. As others have suggested, I’d fit it with a low power scope. For a bullet, I find the swift A-Frame is excellent bear medicine.

Plenty of gun. Bring a gun you wont mind getting beaten up. the alaska bush can be brutal on gear. i put synthetic stocks on all the guns i use in alaska, for jumerous reasons. u will more likely than not hunt in rain, cross rivers, etc. i have a couple doubles but wouldnt take to the alaska bush.

a 1-4 or 1-6 (sturdy!!!) scope with quick detach capability is my go-to for a “bear specific” hunt. i have leupolds or zeiss on my alaska guns. dad too. he lost his footage traversing a river and completely submerged with his gun and was in the river for a minute or so before being able to get to the rivers edge. his gun had a leupold. he changed clothes, dried off his gun and test fired it. hie leuplod held zero with no moisture in the scope.

he got his griz too.

my 2 cents gentlemen

I would use the 9.3x62 and stick with the peep sight just take the insert out you want the largest orifice you can get. Now you are ready from 5-200 yards. I would use either partitions or A-frames.

As others have said the 9.3 x 62 with a premium 286 grain projectile is an excellent bear cartridge. Alaska is hard on rifles, I’d prefer a synthetic stocked rifle. Fit a good quality low power variable scope in QD mounts and make sure your iron sights are zeroed too.

Yes, the 9.3x62 is enough gun...however.

Have all the previous posts missed the obvious CORRECT answer? A trip to Alaska for Costal Brown Bear is the perfect reason for a new rifle. Maybe go stainless and synthetic for weather considerations. Fill that gap between 9.3mm and .458 caliber with a 416RM or maybe even a 404J! I'm sure there is something in the classifieds that will look pretty good under the Christmas tree. ;)

Yes, the 9.3x62 is enough gun...however.

Have all the previous posts missed the obvious CORRECT answer? A trip to Alaska for Costal Brown Bear is the perfect reason for a new rifle. Maybe go stainless and synthetic for weather considerations. Fill that gap between 9.3mm and .458 caliber with a 416RM or maybe even a 404J! I'm sure there is something in the classifieds that will look pretty good under the Christmas tree. ;)
i like your gap filler. my 416rm is for my “bear only” hunts.

Would you consider a bolt action 9.3 x 62 an adequate cartridge to hunt the big coastal grizzly bears of BC/Alaska?
Other potential candidates in my gun safe are a .338 RUM, .458 Win Mag both bolt actions and a double rifle chambered in .500 Nitro Express.
Of these four firearms, which do you think is the best choice?
I shot this black bear with a 9.3 x 62 - obviously not a coastal brown, but he did come in at over 500 lbs. I used Nosler accubonds, and it left an almost softball sized hole in the bear. Would think it should be more than enough for a coastal brown.

Bear.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SheritaFow

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you