Is the 30-06 adequate for zebra?

While I get your point on a .375 you're also making broad assumptions that may not be relevant:
  1. No rifle will do the job if you're not a good enough shot - a .375 isnt a substitute for marksmanship
  2. The 06 is rather versatile as well, especially for PG - most hunters don't go to Africa then decide to hunt buffalo on a whim
  3. An 06 isn't being under gunned for Zebra (and the question wasn't about larger heavier game)
If the question had been what one rifle would you choose to hunt every animal in Africa then the .375 would be the logical choice IMO but since it was asking if the 06 was enough for Zebra.....
Marksmanship is everything... If you can't consistent take Game with a Single Shot(Stationary... A Moving Target is a different matter), then you should spend more time on the Shooting Range... I love .30-06... Don't get me wrong, it's a favourite for North American Game, for good reason... One reason I give .375 H&H the edge, is that there are circumstances, where whilst one is in pursuit o' one species, one could be attacked by another more dangerous species... I've always preferred to carry a Caliber that will drop larger or more dangerous game than I'm after, for peace o' mind... One other thing to consider, if one's shot strays slightly off target, with the more powerful round, you can still get a clean kill... Changing to a larger Caliber, certainly won't make you a better shot, but it can increase your chances o' still killing the animal, if for whatever reason your shot strays a wee bit from the spot you intended to hit(I.E. If the animal moves)... Once again, my personal opinion, not necessarily that o' anyone else...

One reason I give .375 H&H the edge, is that there are circumstances, where whilst one is in pursuit o' one species, one could be attacked by another more dangerous species..

Still a very broad assumption. Africa is a big place and DG isnt everywhere. Curious, do you carry a .375 anyplace a bear may be in NA for peace of mind while deer hunting ? You could be attacked you know, and you're much more likely to be alone.

One other thing to consider, if one's shot strays slightly off target, with the more powerful round, you can still get a clean kill... Changing to a larger Caliber, certainly won't make you a better shot, but it can increase your chances o' still killing the animal, if for whatever reason your shot strays a wee bit from the spot you intended to hit(I.E. If the animal moves

Another thing to consider is that many often don't shoot the larger caliber as accurately. So if the smaller caliber does make you a better shot that wee bit of difference may actually favor the smaller caliber.

Point still being, the 06 is definitely enough for Zebra, even if we may personally choose other calibers.

Sure the .30-06 will be adequate . I’ve shot a Zebra with a .30-06 and Norma Oryx 165 grain. Sure it’s anecdotal, but I'm sure many many others can attest to the adequacy as well.
Enjoy the hunt!

I ask this as I plan on going on a plains game safari in Namibia in a few year's time, hopefully soon. Hartmann's zebra is at the top of my list for the trophies I'd like to take. I've been watching many videos on hunting zebra and I'm amazed by how tough they are. Is the 30-06 adequate or would it be better to upgrade to a 375?
Of course not, that's the reason you need to buy a new gun in 375 H&H.

Still a very broad assumption. Africa is a big place and DG isnt everywhere. Curious, do you carry a .375 anyplace a bear may be in NA for peace of mind while deer hunting ? You could be attacked you know, and you're much more likely to be alone.

Another thing to consider is that many often don't shoot the larger caliber as accurately. So if the smaller caliber does make you a better shot that wee bit of difference may actually favor the smaller caliber.

Point still being, the 06 is definitely enough for Zebra, even if we may personally choose other calibers.
I like .444 Marlin for Hunting Deer or larger Game in North America... It'll drop any animal we have, but it will also drop a Deer, without overly damaging the Meat... I rather like Big Bores, but, then again, I'm not a small Lad... One thing I really like about .444, is that it'll stop the animal dead in its tracks... I've got a bad leg, I don't care to hobble around in pursuit o' wounded Game... I don't hunt for Trophies (Although I don't judge those that do), I hunt for Meat... I prefer a clean one shot kill... The last thing I'd want is for the animal to suffer...

Not to highjack the thread, but if the question had been about hunting PG in a DG area then I'd say that a .375 might have a small amount of value....

Right @WAB and @cbvanb ?

In a word, yes. And rather easily. A Zebra was my first shot and first kill with my 30-06 "deer" rifle using Federal 180gr Nosler Partition factory loads. For decades the biggest thing I hunted with it was whitetail deer however I found that the 30-06 is a very capable round. Much more capable than I would have imagined.
IMG_3376.jpg

I would say absolutely yes. I have taken Zebra in Namibia and Botswana with .308 and 150gr tsx. One shot placed in right spot on shoulder or frontal chest is all it takes. Good luck and safe travels!

Of course not, that's the reason you need to buy a new gun in 375 H&H.
Erm, not sure if this is a subtle insult or not. Probably just my imagination...

Erm, not sure if this is a subtle insult or not. Probably just my imagination...
No, it's not an insult. He is enabling any desire you may be harboring to purchase a new rifle. :)

Yes - 30-06 / 180 grain will be fine.

I can almost guarantee it wouldn't have been an insult. Many on here do whatever possible to justify others to purchase a new firearm! I would say it was in fun.

@WilhelmM
The zebra minimum caliber topic has been covered.
Or using the 30-06 vs whatever else there is.
It's been hashed out.

Looking at old threads for information is pretty cool.
Possibly outdated, but not likely on this particular topic.
It gives you a chance to see what others have been using.
And maybe what will work for you.
Then if you still have questions...add on to that thread.

Take a look at this.
I'd be surprised if nearly all your questions were not answered here.
@BRICKBURN has some cool pics on post #39.
https://www.africahunting.com/threads/minimum-caliber-for-zebra.25988/

I have only shot 4, 2 with 300 gr 375 and 2 with 308, 165 gr. Could not tell the difference, all died after a short run. Use a good bullet, (mine were all accubonds) and most important. HIT in proper place, yes a 3006 is plenty enough gun with a good bullet shot in the right spot.

MB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErvinSew56

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double