Is the 30-06 adequate for zebra?

as everyone has said - my ex took Zebra with 7x64 - dropped them perfectly - I have used 7mm rem mag on most of the plains game again - never a problem

if you are eating bugs and grass, a little zebra is welcome. the locals sure didn,t turn it down when offered it free.

DSCN1132 (2).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Since I had no interest in shooting striped horse

It was interesting to me that the rancher sold the Zebra carcass to a Butcher in Thabazimbi for processing and sale. Who eats Zebra?
Africans!

Oh we’re you asking Us? No I did not eat it or see it on the game ranch

My outfitter does process and sell all of the meat through their butcher shop. My best black tracker got his job by asking at the shop.he found his dream job. Mike was pretty easy going and happy to work and just do his bit.

Not much goes to waste in Africa, we were lucky the outfitters saved the best cuts for clients

Shooting a striped horse, I can relate to that but all mine were culls . I could also relate to culling/harvesting certain animals for the right reasons.

52090_600x400.jpg

All part of proper management of animals and property.

Last edited by a moderator:
The simple answer is yes , its more than adequate.

We seem to have separated ourselves from some parts of the world by not eating certain things. Zebras eat the same stuff as the other “game” animals yet we regard them differently because of our pets and farm animals. Some people won’t eat pigs for religious reasons while others eat pork chops with a side of bacon. Remember Charlotte and Wilbur? I’ve been places where dog is still a regular meal and my brother was on an island where iguanas were regular meals and chicken was a rare treat. The backyard chicken fad in the USA turned hens into pets that laid eggs but shouldn’t be murdered or eaten!
its all meat if you are hungry enough and I’m glad the .30-06 is enough gun to hunt it with because I plan to take mine on the next African adventure!
As I recall the trackers treasured the fat around the organs above all-try and sell that in a “civilized” country. . .

My zebra went for .50 U.S. a pound, cheapest meat on the truck hauling it out of camp. Wildebeest was for jerky and IIRC, springbok was exported to Europe.

Also-CRS, Mike is one of the great ones, huge happy smile all the time and loves to talk with the hunters. Hard worker too. Can’t wait to get back and see him and elliot and the rest of the gang-the phs were good too:Dead:. Bring on the braai!

the american indians rode their horses to death and then ate them, running from the us army with out any ill effects.

. . . And now the west is over run by “mustangs” that cannot be managed due to public sentiment. They over graze, destroy water holes and aggressively push other animals off home ranges. Management night-mare.
But back to the .30-06 (I have 3 for no particular reason except maybe I like buying scopes for them)-I liked something Craig boddington just wrote in Sports Afield magazine-“It is needlessly powerful for deer sized game, and certainly there are flatter-shooting cartridges for mountain hunting. However, for game larger than deer, the .30-06 is a force to be reckoned with, and I consider it one of the most versatile options for African plains game.”-Amen

I ask this as I plan on going on a plains game safari in Namibia in a few year's time, hopefully soon. Hartmann's zebra is at the top of my list for the trophies I'd like to take. I've been watching many videos on hunting zebra and I'm amazed by how tough they are. Is the 30-06 adequate or would it be better to upgrade to a 375?
@WilhelmM
The good ol 30 ought six is more than enough for zebra. My son took his with a 308 no problems at all.
Bob
received_477369283213994.jpeg

Thank you for all your responses and apologies if my question was silly lol
@WilhelmM
No such thing as silly questions but there is such a thing as silly answers.
The main thing is listen to your PH, they will tell you the best shot placement. Dig in doubt ask. They prefer a person with sensible questions than a supposed know it all.
Bob

I
@WilhelmM
No such thing as silly questions but there is such a thing as silly answers.
The main thing is listen to your PH, they will tell you the best shot placement. Dig in doubt ask. They prefer a person with sensible questions than a supposed know it all.
Bob
I’ll remember that when go on my first safari in Namibia.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThaliaPace

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross