Is retiring to Africa a wise decision?

My parents built their retirement home in Nicaragua, in the same town my brothers, sister and I were born. They go and spend 2-3 months at a time, and come back to the US for medical checkups. Med treatment there is mediocre at best.

My parents do not hunt, or fish. Hunting is so, so for big game, but great for ducks and birds, unless you go to the Atlantic coast, and that brings a boatload of other issues. Fishing is fantastic, especially on the South Pacific coast, great for rooster fish, tuna, marlin and sails.

The political climate there is so, so. Don’t get involved in politics, and you’ll be fine.

They have a modest size home, of prob 2000 sq ft, with about an acre of land. The house is paid off, and for roughly $1000 a month, they have two maids, a gardener, security, food, and utilities.

Unfortunately it’s not Africa.
Can you hunt there for ducks and dove as a non citizen retiree?

I have given this some thought as well…

Here is what I am thinking….
For the months of May- Sept living, working, helping at a hunting lodge lodge in Africa, be it Namibia, SA, Zambia… Still undecided

For the months of Oct- April have a place in the warmer part of the states. Be it Florida, Arizona, Texas, who knows….

Regardless, we would still be spending enough time in the States for family through the holidays, maintaining citizenship, medical care, and the US hunting seasons…
And spending Africa hunting season in…Africa.

Can you hunt there for ducks and dove as a non citizen retiree?

Yes, you can, and fish as well. I do not know the legalities on becoming a resident, but I know that the area of San Juan on the southern part of the country is heavily populated by foreigners. I've seen several shows on HG TV where US citizens are looking for a place to live in that region. Beautiful area.

I'll be following this thread with interest as well.

For what it is worth, I know a few people who have bought in to various hunting enterprises, mainly in UK or Europe. Some have just been basic timeshare type fishing syndicates, some have been shares in a company owning and operating hunting areas or forestry managed for stalking and hunting.

Some work well but many don’t, particularly when additional capital is required. Personally, I really like the idea of having some ownership and more of a connection but I would be very careful about getting involved in a business where you do not know the other parties very well.

I have been involved in some major disagreements in my professional career and it seems to me that unless you have a very well written up agreement at the start then even the best friendships can breakdown when money is involved, particularly if you are not on site for most of the time.

Sadly, the majority of non-family shared enterprises I have seen ended in disagreement, other than well managed timeshare agreements.

For what it is worth, I know a few people who have bought in to various hunting enterprises, mainly in UK or Europe. Some have just been basic timeshare type fishing syndicates, some have been shares in a company owning and operating hunting areas or forestry managed for stalking and hunting.

Some work well but many don’t, particularly when additional capital is required. Personally, I really like the idea of having some ownership and more of a connection but I would be very careful about getting involved in a business where you do not know the other parties very well.

I have been involved in some major disagreements in my professional career and it seems to me that unless you have a very well written up agreement at the start then even the best friendships can breakdown when money is involved, particularly if you are not on site for most of the time.

Sadly, the majority of non-family shared enterprises I have seen ended in disagreement, other than well managed timeshare agreements.
I would agree, rather own something fair and square, then having a "time-share" or something.

Just thinking about this further, I suppose it could be approached as private equity, particularly if the hunting business is registered in a politically stable country and have a written agreement as to what you are investing, how you will get the capital returned to you and what benefit you receive in terms of dividends, time spent hunting, accommodation etc and also a clause setting out how you can leave or how you can be bought out in the event of a disagreement. In that way, everyone knows where they stand from the outset and there is less room for misinterpretation.

I might seem negative, but in truth, it would be hugely rewarding to be involved in a hunting or conservation operation as more than a client, just risky!

Good afternoon from Apia Risaralda Colombia. We live in Colombia for 6-8 months a year. We typically come back for hunting season. However, this will be the first time in three years that we will also spend the holidays in the US and plan to attend DSC this January. We have an apartment in a very small town in the heart of Colombia's coffee farming zone. Security is very good here. There is no history of past or recent guerrilla activity, and everyone knows everybody. Last year a couple found the wallet of a tourist from Colorado on one of the small mountain roads leading up to the Paragliding area. It had his CC's, bank card and cash. They brought it to me and asked me to help find the owner. It's a good place to live, but it is Colombia. A lot of the country is not so safe.

I have several invites to go fishing so I will update on how that goes at a later date. Hunting was banned here a couple of years ago. They claim it will return after a conservation program and laws are established. On Colombia time, that could happen anywhere between tomorrow and never. Colombia has a large hippo population thanks to Pablo Escobar. They a reining havoc in the Antioquia region.

Healthcare is some of the best in the world but other than "owies and sniffles", we have not needed it. For small stuff, one of the town Doctors that I drink coffee with daily takes care of us.

My wife and I married in this town (her hometown) 28 years ago this September and I have a long work history in Colombia as well as most of Latin America. We live here to get away from it all and I call it my "Fortress of Solitude". I have a resident visa so I can come and go as I wish. Living outside the US, not visiting, living, is very challenging and requires a lot of patience and ability to assimilate.

Interesting thread. I hope others that live outside the US will share their experiences.

view from fortress of solitude.jpg

I read articles and watch a lot of YouTube videos on retiring. There is a lot of information about retiring to Central America, Spain, and other places where a couple could live very well on their savings.
Why not sub-Saharan Africa?

Medical care is a big one. Hmmm, a couple months ago my wife's mother had to go to the ER in Lusaka. The "public" hospital option was a non-starter. We sent her to a private hospital where she was put in intensive care for a few days, had a CAT scan, and other tests. Mother in law is doing pretty good now. The total hospital bill was around $1000.

Medical evacuation insurance is probably a good idea in case needed medical care isn't available. If one is 80 years old, will a company still offer evac insurance?
You can always buy insurance....the question is at what cost.
As you age and acquire existing conditions the cost goes way up
I would expect that Emergency Evac Insurance takes age into account as all insurance policies are a calculation of the odds as to whether you will actually need to use it or not. The more likely you are to use it the more insurance cost

Could not agree more. As a retired CFO of a Fortune 100 sized entity, if you’re not the managing partner or present full- time - you’re asking for troubles. Sorry to be so cynical.

@Mark A Ouellette add south texas to your brainstorming page. Stable, medical, similar to Africa and plenty to hunt.......
All true except the cost to live a similar lifestyle is five fold and let's not even start talking about Texas hunting prices..
I've recently saw a private ranch Axis hunt advertised for $5000.00! LOL

@Mark A Ouellette add south texas to your brainstorming page. Stable, medical, similar to Africa and plenty to hunt.......

Unfortunately, not currently very stable but certainly more stable then anywhere in Africa. At least, currently, you don’t have to worry about the government taking it away and giving to it others. Excellent Medical in San Antonio, very good Medical in Corpus and Laredo.

The owner of Kalahari Rangers in RSA has been trying to sell for several years. If you want the risk of land ownership.

Last edited:
Mark. Have you thought about Australia or New Zealand politically stable world class health care forigners can buy land, great climate in the right area good hunting especialy in NZ both countries run by Left wing wankers at the moment but not as bad as your Joe B and this can change at the next election culture very similar to the US. Lots of wide open spaces. you are not going to be kidnapped
or robbed on the streets.

Mark. Have you thought about Australia or New Zealand politically stable world class health care forigners can buy land, great climate in the right area good hunting especialy in NZ both countries run by Left wing wankers at the moment but not as bad as your Joe B and this can change at the next election culture very similar to the US. Lots of wide open spaces. you are not going to be kidnapped
or robbed on the streets.
Sadly, the "not robbed/carjacked in the streets" is declining, fast. Living in Crimesville, er Townsville, Queensland is becoming like a warzone; juvenile crims running amok. Another stolen car dumped outside my home last Saturday morning; the blue-heeler cross is a great deterrent, along with the neighbour's Lab/Rhodesian Ridgeback. My philosophy is that if they cross the fence and get past the dogs then their asses are mine. Police on the beat endorse my attitude. I'm praying and working for a change of (state) government next year. This grumpy old bloke has had enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
divydestination1

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?