Iron Sights. Yes or no?

I may have expressed myself poorly. I'm absolutely not against iron sights nor rifles with both iron sights and scopes. The overwhelming majority of my rifles fit that description (scope & irons). I'm just choosing not to go that route on this one particular rifle.

I may have expressed myself poorly. I'm absolutely not against iron sights nor rifles with both iron sights and scopes. The overwhelming majority of my rifles fit that description (scope & irons). I'm just choosing not to go that route on this one particular rifle.
No, no, son. It’s absolutely okay. We’re all subject to our whims and fancies. As you mentioned, you have other properly configured rifles for the “What if” scenarios.

Back in the ol`days before the world turned mad I am sure discussions in the Gentlemens club would have been about:" should a sportsman going abroad take a hammerless or his hammergun with him"?. Iron was an "ofcouse" as there weren`t many scopes if there were any.

Likewise RedLeg I too believe a good rifle for traveling ought to have ironsights and a QD scopemount. When this said I am an ironsight shooter. No need to have ironsights on your rifle unless you can actually use them. If not then carry an extra scope make more sence. It would be a mistake during a safari to start learning to become familiar with the ironsights.

Back in the ol`days before the world turned mad I am sure discussions in the Gentlemens club would have been about:" should a sportsman going abroad take a hammerless or his hammergun with him"?. Iron was an "ofcouse" as there weren`t many scopes if there were any.

Likewise RedLeg I too believe a good rifle for traveling ought to have ironsights and a QD scopemount. When this said I am an ironsight shooter. No need to have ironsights on your rifle unless you can actually use them. If not then carry an extra scope make more sence. It would be a mistake during a safari to start learning to become familiar with the ironsights.
True. I would assume anyone taking an iron sighted firearm into the long grass on a follow up has spent some time practicing off-hand shooting with them. As for me, whether using a R8 or a S2, irons are preferable than a scope for a follow up - see my comments above. Whether someone wants to bring along another back-up scope is a separate issue.

Hence my comments above, that irons are really more of an aesthetic than practical consideration on a rifle that will not be used for DG.

Well, go for it!!!
hahaha
Don´t ask if you´re wrong or right in a matter like this... It is more a matter of taste than anything else, although for my part, I consider it essential that my "all-terrain" rifle has metal sights for a matter, precisely, of being "all-terrain" and in case of problems with the sight, being able to remove it and not stay without hunting
But, in the real life, i NEVER take off the scope... so... it´s an hypotetical situation and no more than this

I'm going to have some work done on one of my 9.3x62 rifles. It will used exclusively as a plains game, elk, deer gun. No DG. No big bears. IOW, no close quarters work with stuff that bites or stomps. I have a 375H&H and a 404J for that kind of hunting. I'm leaning towards not having express/iron sights installed.
Why?

Iron sights are there in case of scope failure to due weather conditions, damage, or otherwise. Good insurance to keep the hunt alive.

I want to keep the rifle as clean and light as possible. What do you think?
Ah dude, focus. :rolleyes:

“Clean” is esthetic nonsense concept … But if you think a set of front & rear iron sights “add weight” to what’s already likely a 9- or 10-lb DG rifle, then you need to start hitting the gym, … or at least do 50 push-ups every morning while Mommy is watching. ;)

Question: Isn't a ghost ring rear that attaches to the rear sight base a reasonable alternative? Seems like that would be a better solution for older eyes. Rifle is a CZ550 9.3x62.

Question 2: Who does reliable work and has a quick turnaround time should someone decide to go that route?

Noop.

An aperture sight with a large ghost-ring size peep, with a gold/“twilight” outer circle, is preferred for shots from point-blank to about 150yds.

FAEAD9E4-641C-4675-ABC7-89851CDEBCB6.jpeg

Front sight …

A97DE968-F560-43FE-A182-7E3EDB102E71.jpeg

Side view:

2662A814-863F-469D-B587-9BADD02E046E.jpeg

(y)

I would say ultimate set up is a foresight set up behind a threaded muzzle and a rear peep (Cocking piece sight).

Means moderator / silencer / suppressor is an option and back up irons can be used.

Scrummy

Depends on your eye sight and how good you are with irons. If you can hit what you need to hit at the ranges you need to then…Yes. It’s a convenient and affordable backup sight.
If the answer to the eye sight and marksmanship question was…No. then don’t bother. Spend your cash on a back up scope and QD mounts.

Caliber? I love the look of those 600’s and would love to aquire one in 350 remington.
Yes, this one’s chambered in .350RM. It’s a handy, quick-to-point snot-pounder.

17E9C166-7E2F-4E31-9D20-FED9382B5CBF.jpeg

Deer, hogs, moose, caribou, or bears … or whatever critter happens to need the snot pounded out of it at the moment.

(y) ;)

Hi Bonk,

Yes, put the Iron sights! More in a 9,3x62. To me, agree, "a rifle is naked without iron sights"!
And not only for the look. I like best a front square post and a relatively wide U or V rear one.

Good luck!

CF

I must add, perhaps the best of all the iron sights is a good "ghost" peep sight. The thing is how to combine both irons...so the solution was found by the BRNO ZKK designers....a similar and much more practical to add in a rifle is a GREAT, little, solid an cheap Redfield ghost peep sight that firm used to offer ready attached in the rear scope mount base. I bought one in Ebay...
So, to ME, a hunting rifle should have at least the front sight to be no "naked" and a rear open U/V or that Redfield type peep one.

I prefer iron ights on rifles I hunt with. I have twice in my 62 years hunting had scopes broken in the field. Both times I slipped andsomehow broke the glass on a rainy day. The one rifle had no backup sights. I had a buck walk by at about 30 yards, scope was completely fogged, I aimed along the side of the scope and knocked the bark off a tree. Second one, I removed the scope with my Swiss army knife and kept hunting. When i could walk without a cane, i hunted pretty far from my truck. I have a spare tire for my truck and sighted in open sights on my rifles. Very few of my hunting buddies have open sights, except one who only uses open sights. He kills more game that the rest of us put together.
Go with what makes your socks go up and down.
Bfly

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MorrisFloc

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg