Iron Sights. Yes or no?

A barrel without a ramp and foresight looks ofd. And an express rear with a folding leaf is so 'correct'.
It depends on the caliber I think. Open sights on a .270, .30-06, 7 mm mag, .300 mag, or any caliber that frankly will never be used without a scope look "clunky." I also find the front sight in the scope to be distracting. My 7 Rem Mag had irons on it, but after a couple of seasons of hanging the irons up while trying to get around in the incredibly dense California chaparrel, I took them off. My .30-06, 7-08 and .300 Win Mag all look cleaner without them.
Now my .458 does have iron express sights with a folding leaf, and a quick detachable low power scope. On my first safari it had a 1-4 but that have up the ghost before my next buffalo hunt now it wears a 1.5-5. Quite satisfactory, and it looks right. I think the 9.3 or anything larger that could be used on dangerous game should be outfitted this way.

Last update. I just got my rife back from the gunsmith and I'm very happy with the results. I buckled like a cheap card table and had the iron sights added at the last minute. No regrets. I'll post a pic in a new thread I'm going to start describing my experience with the gunsmith. Stay tuned.

Very interested in all the gory details... :)

It depends, for my M1A and wood stock rifle, I love iron sights on them.

Question: Isn't a ghost ring rear that attaches to the rear sight base a reasonable alternative? Seems like that would be a better solution for older eyes. Rifle is a CZ550 9.3x62.

Question 2: Who does reliable work and has a quick turnaround time should someone decide to go that route?
I have one of those ghost ring mounts for my CZ 9.3x 62 FS. I believe I got it from NECG.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaeMorris

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross