Info on this Mauser?

Flipper Dude

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Picked up this Mauser in a trade. Interesting piece. 9 MM Mauser. “Sights fitted by George Gibbs Bristol N35 Seville Row London” engraved on top of barrel, although the engraving is fading and worn. Drilled and tapped, of course, as well as an aftermarket Timney type safety. My smith had to add some metal to the cocking piece as well. Have not shot it but I have picked up 3 boxes of ammo. 6.6 pounds all in. Not a Mauser guy, wondering if I should have the engraving recut since it’s already D&T. Any market for this thing?
A89A80B7-855B-43EA-B9FF-7D8D9A0B2966.jpeg
6AE28D0C-264C-49ED-A931-3C6A50E72B63.jpeg
15C3F0D9-E6F7-487A-B137-8ED0D567C5C0.jpeg
54E17A64-9A48-457E-BD3F-8067E7992A62.jpeg
8CD80054-D4CE-4E29-B5D5-68F589D38513.jpeg

I have a Mannlicher Schoenauer model 1905 in 9x56 ms which is a near clone of the Mauser 9x57 and it is a great cartridge. Step above 358 winchester step below 35 Whelen. Nice Mauser spotter that has some modern updates with the scope mounts. How many folding leaves on the iron rear sight?

I have a Mannlicher Schoenauer model 1905 in 9x56 ms which is a near clone of the Mauser 9x57 and it is a great cartridge. Step above 358 winchester step below 35 Whelen. Nice Mauser spotter that has some modern updates with the scope mounts. How many folding leaves on the iron rear sight?
3 leaves total on the rear sight.

Just the fact that is was associated with Gibbs bumps it up a notch. And since it has already been messed with it wont hurt to have the engraving refreshed.

Lovely rifle. Its a pitty that it was butchered

I was thinking of having the D and T holes plugged and welded. Reblued. Anyone done that? Cost prohibitive? Maybe just put a correct period piece scope on it and go to the woods. I don’t know. So many cool rifles, so little time. And me a bow hunter.

Don't ever weld a front action ring--not a safe idea as temper is lost...lovely rifle and provenance

Picked up this Mauser in a trade. Interesting piece. 9 MM Mauser. “Sights fitted by George Gibbs Bristol N35 Seville Row London” engraved on top of barrel, although the engraving is fading and worn. Drilled and tapped, of course, as well as an aftermarket Timney type safety. My smith had to add some metal to the cocking piece as well. Have not shot it but I have picked up 3 boxes of ammo. 6.6 pounds all in. Not a Mauser guy, wondering if I should have the engraving recut since it’s already D&T. Any market for this thing?View attachment 459683View attachment 459684View attachment 459685View attachment 459686View attachment 459687
At 6.6 lbs hang on tight when you squeeze that baby off. It will get your attention. Cases are easily made for it by simply necking up 8x 57 brass.

At 6.6 lbs hang on tight when you squeeze that baby off. It will get your attention.

Beautiful rifle but that was my first thought as well. I think a leather wrapped limbsaver recoil pad would be a good replacement for that steel buttplate.

You can always download it to practice and plink with. I use a combination of 5744 and 158 gr revolver bullets in my 9x57. It shoots to the sights at least to 50 yards. I haven't tried them past that distance.

What is a “bag grip”? Are you referring to the Prince of Wales grip?

Actually, the 'Prince of Wales grip', a term generally used on British shotguns, refers to the degree of curve rather than the shape of the grip itself.

From ShootingUK:

What's the difference between the classy-sounding Prince of Wales grip and a standard pistol grip on a shotgun?

It’s all to do with the radius of the curve.

Most pistol grips having a curve of relatively tight radius, while the Prince of Wales grip has a very much more open curve.

The classic English double-trigger side-by side shoots and handles best for most people with a traditional straight-hand stock. That’s because the shooter is easily able to slide his trigger hand very slightly backwards, without materially altering his grip, when he pulls the back trigger.

With a single-trigger gun, which most modern over-and-unders are, this is not a necessary requirement. The trigger hand stays in exactly the same place while both barrels are fired, so the grip can be at the most comfortable angle possible.

However, in the case of the double-trigger gun, some compromise is possible, and some shooters find the slightly curved Prince of Wales handgrip more comfortable than the straight-hand stock, and still allowing for a slight change of grip between trigger pulls.

The Prince of Wales (the one who became King Edward VII) had his guns stocked in this manner, hence the name. One contemporary report records that, on a double-gun day, he had four pheasants dead in the air at the same time. That not only shows his shooting skills but the first class teamwork between the Prince and his loader.

One of the illustrations (and caption) from above article (there were two with 'rounded' grips and this):

Zoli-Pernice--630x420.jpg

The Prince of Wales-style semi-pistol grip is very comfortable in the hand. As featured on a Zoli Pernice.

Beautiful rifle but that was my first thought as well. I think a leather wrapped limbsaver recoil pad would be a good replacement for that steel buttplate.

I would advise against buggering that steel buttplate or any of the engraving. If it were mine I would keep it as 'original' as possible, yet consider adapting claw mounts to the already altered scope mounts that are presently installed. Fill screw holes with screws, no welding.

It is, indeed, a fine old Mauser sporting rifle.

Last edited by a moderator:
At 6.6 lbs hang on tight when you squeeze that baby off. It will get your attention. Cases are easily made for it by simply necking up 8x 57 brass.

My M1910 Mannlicher Schoenauer (9.5X57 - .375 Nitro Express Rimless) Take Down Model is rather light and 'barks' a bit but recoil has never bothered me when held tight to the shoulder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HalinaKers

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you