Info on this Mauser?

MS ST39 50 Mannlicher Schoenauer.jpg

Page 50 of 1939 Stoeger catalog.

Notice how rounded grip is shown on stutzen (full stocked carbine) while flattened grip with horn cap is shown on 'High Velocity' and 'Take Down' models.

The stutzen image was actually outdated by then as the rounded grips are almost always found on earlier MS.

My M1910 Take Down Model has the flattened grip with removable grip cap for storage of spare sight bead as shown here:

MS Stock Grip Storage.jpg

It also has the 'Special folding peep sight' from the options list shown in Stoeger catalog:

MS ST39 51 Mannlicher Schoenauer details 02.jpg

My M1910 Mannlicher Schoenauer (9.5X57 - .375 Nitro Express Rimless) Take Down Model is rather light and 'barks' a bit but recoil has never bothered me when held tight to the shoulder.
By chance Brian have you ever weighed your Mannlicher? Just curios what a long barreled model weighs.

I would advise against buggering that steel buttplate or any of the engraving. If it were mine I would keep it as 'original' as possible, yet consider adapting claw mounts to the already altered scope mounts that are presently installed. Fill screw holes with screws, no welding.

[/QUOTE]

@Brian Rothhammer

I'm not advising buggering anything. Remove the butt plate, store in a safe place and install a pad that looked vintage and would allow it to be shot comfortably. That's just what I would do in order to enjoy shooting it. Of course a slip on is an option but even at the range they look like garbage.

The OP can do what he wants but I'm not man enough for a 6.5 lb 9mm rifle.

My M1910 Mannlicher Schoenauer (9.5X57 - .375 Nitro Express Rimless) Take Down Model is rather light and 'barks' a bit but recoil has never bothered me when held tight to the shoulder.
Ditto

By chance Brian have you ever weighed your Mannlicher? Just curios what a long barreled model weighs.
I just weighed my Stutzen in at 6lb, 11 oz, without scope. Not sure on the take down. Can't be that much more.

Oh, and my steel butt plate has yet to break my shoulder, and provides me rapid access to a handy place to store a cleaning rod and two extra rounds.

I grew up hunting deer with a shotgun and slugs so your 2 choices were don’t hunt deer which I simply couldn’t do, or learn to shot well and take the recoil. I got used to it and when going to rifles they were much gentler on the shoulder. Weapon tight to shoulder squeeze the trigger hit the target. Easy Peezy

Picked up this Mauser in a trade. Interesting piece. 9 MM Mauser. “Sights fitted by George Gibbs Bristol N35 Seville Row London” engraved on top of barrel, although the engraving is fading and worn. Drilled and tapped, of course, as well as an aftermarket Timney type safety. My smith had to add some metal to the cocking piece as well. Have not shot it but I have picked up 3 boxes of ammo. 6.6 pounds all in. Not a Mauser guy, wondering if I should have the engraving recut since it’s already D&T. Any market for this thing?View attachment 459683View attachment 459684View attachment 459685View attachment 459686View attachment 459687
Pity it’s no longer original. Stock has also been rechecked. A nice little gun nonetheless.

Yes very nice and more usable. Steel butt blade is no big deal. Like MS 9x 56 said....hold it tight to your shoulder. I had an 8 bore rifle at one time that had a steel butt plate and my shoulder managed to survive it.

Just weighed her on a cheapie electronic postal scale (accuracy?).

Rifle is Mannlicher Schoenauer M1910 Take Down Model (60 cm barrel) with claw mounts, removable grip cap storage (one spare sight bead inside), 'special folding peep sight' (as described 1939 Stoeger, page 50), original steel trap door buttplate. Weighed with four piece cleaning rod in stock, magazine installed, without cartridges.

Without 'scope: 7 lbs, 0.7 oz. - 3.195 kg.

With 4X scope: 8 lbs, 1.8 oz. - 3.679 kg.

Gerard 'B' scope: 1 lb, 0.9 oz. - .48 kg.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VenusPined

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross