IN PURSUIT OF A 60 INCH KUDU

Maui: I wish you success on your quest and have had similar goals on trophy animals — would like to take a whitetail that qualify’s for B&C or a 180” Mule deer.
On Safari in TZ I passed up many good Buffalo (close easy shots) because they were under 40” and that was my goal —— really regret that now.
However, Now I think this is a ridiculous “tape measure Goal” and I’ve found that it can detract from many fine & exciting hunts. If I need a “tape measure” to determine if I’m thrilled with a Trophy - then I’m eliminating all of the really important factors that are part of hunting: the Hunt itself and the effort put forward, the stalk, the shot, the area that I had to reach to find the animal etc,,,, I don’t want all of that to be over shadowed because of some “inch” or round number (60 vs 59). I can drive to Texas and shoot many impressive racks & horns — just pay the $$$….but they would Not have meaning to me. Sticking too hard to a “measurement” you risk seeing a fine Bull, making a great stalk & shot then being disappointed when the tape measure reads 59”. This is just my opinion and I will admire and maybe envy your 60” Bull Kudu and “Yes” I’d certainly like to take one too… I try not to get too hung up on “measurements” because for me there is much more that goes into a trophy. Have a Great Hunt
He has been to Africa a few times hunted and got kudu on more than one occasion......

He wants to "hunt" a majestic 60" kudu....

I am 100% sure if he does hunt a huge kudu and it ends up being 58" or 59" it would not bother him in the least.....

There is a differance between "demanding" a 60 inch kudu and upping the stakes after been there done that more than once and wanting ti step up the challenge my2c

He has been to Africa a few times hunted and got kudu on more than one occasion......

He wants to "hunt" a majestic 60" kudu....

I am 100% sure if he does hunt a huge kudu and it ends up being 58" or 59" it would not bother him in the least.....

There is a differance between "demanding" a 60 inch kudu and upping the stakes after been there done that more than once and wanting ti step up the challenge my2c

Exactly the mind set I can appreciate: "Step up the challenge"

Trophy hunting is not a dirty word. It is an aspect of the hunt.

I have an deep appreciation for monster Kudu. If they have lived that long to get that big they are hard to find and smart.

A distraction? Not in the least.
Looking for inches does not eliminate the stalk, shot, or anything else.

Hunting an area and knowing the genetics are there and choosing to hunt for an incredible trophy specimen while looking over many great bulls in your quest adds to the experience. I'll get more stalking in than someone who is shooting the first Kudu bull they encounter.

If someone gets twisted about some ground shrinkage then they have missed the plot. Get better at trophy judging and improve your stalking so you have more time to review, examine and estimate before your shoot.

If the goal is to "buy" a 60 inch Kudu, attend a Game Auction. It's easy.

I hunted Eland in Namibia in the same area the World record was taken. I was thrilled to hunt Eland on that ground. In fact, my very first African trophy was an Eland bull that I took in that area while I was on a walk and stalk hunt in that thick bush. The memory of that bull appearing in the small opening in the cover is still with me. He's a trophy that I will always admire. It does not take anything away that I will always be after a bigger one.
Eland.jpg

Marius, @KMG Hunting Safaris has a 51 inch East Cape Kudu in the lodge. That trophy had my attention in the same way a 60 inch Greater Kudu does. Impressive trophy and something to value and look forward to hunting. Marius asked me to guess its length. I was within 1/4 inch. It's a challenge to get it right. I have lasting respect for PH's that do this well day in and day out.

As an aside:
During a horn estimating session at PH school the director selected a set of Kudu horns from a pile. I remember looking at them and refusing to write down a score at or above 60 inches. I could not imagine anyone throwing a 60 inch Kudu into a junk pile. What kind of twit would do that?
After the class was done our estimating it was revealed that the horns were 61 inches. I told the director that those horns deserved a place of respect, not a junk pile. On reflection, he agreed.

I'm still looking for that 60+ on the hoof. I have incredible Kudu trophies, that won't stop me chasing bigger bulls. I am not headed to an auction any time soon either.

Hunt how you want to.

There is nothing better than going after one of these great animals and putting your skills to the test. Take up bow hunting Vaal Rhebuck. That is a challenge.

Vaalie Stalk.JPEG

A 60" is definitely the holy grail of Kudu Hunting.

A kudu bull is my top animal too. I actually dream about it. While the Big Five are always desirable, it is telling just how many of us have been hooked on this magnificent creature.

I was pretty set on Namibia, but now it looks like I will have to give another look at Botswana.

Exactly the mind set I can appreciate: "Step up the challenge"

Trophy hunting is not a dirty word. It is an aspect of the hunt.

I have an deep appreciation for monster Kudu. If they have lived that long to get that big they are hard to find and smart.

A distraction? Not in the least.
Looking for inches does not eliminate the stalk, shot, or anything else.

Hunting an area and knowing the genetics are there and choosing to hunt for an incredible trophy specimen while looking over many great bulls in your quest adds to the experience. I'll get more stalking in than someone who is shooting the first Kudu bull they encounter.

If someone gets twisted about some ground shrinkage then they have missed the plot. Get better at trophy judging and improve your stalking so you have more time to review, examine and estimate before your shoot.

If the goal is to "buy" a 60 inch Kudu, attend a Game Auction. It's easy.

I hunted Eland in Namibia in the same area the World record was taken. I was thrilled to hunt Eland on that ground. In fact, my very first African trophy was an Eland bull that I took in that area while I was on a walk and stalk hunt in that thick bush. The memory of that bull appearing in the small opening in the cover is still with me. He's a trophy that I will always admire. It does not take anything away that I will always be after a bigger one.
View attachment 599252

Marius, @KMG Hunting Safaris has a 51 inch East Cape Kudu in the lodge. That trophy had my attention in the same way a 60 inch Greater Kudu does. Impressive trophy and something to value and look forward to hunting. Marius asked me to guess its length. I was within 1/4 inch. It's a challenge to get it right. I have lasting respect for PH's that do this well day in and day out.

As an aside:
During a horn estimating session at PH school the director selected a set of Kudu horns from a pile. I remember looking at them and refusing to write down a score at or above 60 inches. I could not imagine anyone throwing a 60 inch Kudu into a junk pile. What kind of twit would do that?
After the class was done our estimating it was revealed that the horns were 61 inches. I told the director that those horns deserved a place of respect, not a junk pile. On reflection, he agreed.

I'm still looking for that 60+ on the hoof. I have incredible Kudu trophies, that won't stop me chasing bigger bulls. I am not headed to an auction any time soon either.

Hunt how you want to.

There is nothing better than going after one of these great animals and putting your skills to the test. Take up bow hunting Vaal Rhebuck. That is a challenge.

View attachment 599251
Not many better experiences than hunting Vaalies in those mountains.

Returned two days back from RSA. I hunted free range bulls in the Limpopo province for 10 days with the sole goal of getting a 60 plus inch kudu. The hunt took place in the mountains with excellent genetics. 69 inch horns were found a few years back in the same mountains. My kudu is 61 3/8 and 60. The longer horn is the screw horn. My outfitter was Jason Stone.
IMG_3138.jpeg
IMG_3106.jpeg

So if you had to pick a top 5 outfitters for this kind of kudu who would they be?

So if you had to pick a top 5 outfitters for this kind of kudu who would they be?
Here is my short list after countless hours of research for outfitters that produce 55" - 60"+ Free Range Kudu on a consistent bases. I am sure there are others.

NKWE - Botswana
Tholo - Botswana
Alex McDonald - Mozambique
Mokore - Mozambique (Coutada 9)
Crusader - South Africa

@Maui Kolohe Boy, No two ways about it, it'll be tough to find a 60" kudu. If you do it will seem unexpected and accidental upon reflection. A very experienced PH and outfitter once told me he thinks the odds may be 1 in 1500-2000 in areas that are known to have them. Huge luck will always be part of the equation. Also, kudu with good length will many times look like @Al Gamecock 's kudu as pictured above. That compressed, sweeping, first curl coil spring look means length. Impressive width and/or multi curls that are tightly wound usually don't translate into impressive length. It will pay to carefully study what big kudu look like. If they were common, easily "custom" raised and purposefully bred on game/hunting reserves in RSA, or anywhere else, they would be seen all over the internet including on this site.... with headings like: "Big Bull Down!" or some such. There are many hunters with enough money who desperately want one and who are perfectly willing to spend the time in pursuit and spend any money to purchase the "inches"..... but alas...... not so many posted anywhere, huh :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AundreaHal

Latest profile posts

Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.