IMR v H4350

Wyatt Smith

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
IMR 4350 is my favorite powder for my 30-06 and 375 H&H. But it’s not always available, and sometimes H4350 is. Also some reloading manuals don’t have data for both, but usually one or the other.
So my question is, can I use Hodgon data for IMR powder and vise versa, or is there to much difference.
Of course I will always start with a minimum load and work up by .5 grain increments.
Also is one of the powders better than the other?
Thanks

Not the same but similar-definitely not interchangeable! Go to “hogdon reloading data” and type in your info and you will get several options in addition to the ones in your reloading book but you will also see the differences in the two powders depending on the load you are requesting. Search .30-06 165 gr bullets For example and you will see both loads listed but different powder weights for imr and h.
My .30o and .30-06 rifles love imr4350 while my 7mm-08 shoots everything well over h4350.

H4350 is more temperature stable than IMR. In some of my cartridges the loading is identical, while in others H4350 is a couple of grains more. Just follow the usual safety protocol and you’ll be fine.
Both are good powders to use IMO. And your smart to have a backup plan.
Another similar powder, IME, that drops better than these is H414, but it is almost always lower grains making it a bit more economical.
Since the 6.5 Creedmoor arrived, the 4350s have been difficult to find on and off.

IMR 4451 is also a viable substitute. It is temperature stable, has a copper fouling reducer and is very close in burning rate to the 4350s. Once again, check Hodgdon for data. Reloder 16 is also very close in burning rate but is less dense so you might not be able to squish enough into a case to get top velocity.

A complicating factor is that Hodgdon is primarily a distributor of powder made by others. Until recently the powder sold as "H4350" was actually AR2209 manufactured by ADI in Australia and relabeled by Hodgdon for the US market. I don't know if this is still he case. Recently Hodgdon has started sourcing a lot of their powders from the General Dynamics plant in Canada. If the "H4350" label is now being applied to powder from a different manufacturer then it will have different burn characteristics, similar but different. Check the package for details of where it was made and if different to your last batch then start your load development all over again.

They are definitely not interchangeable powder charge wise. H4350 usually 2 to 4 grains greater max than IMR 4350 max. IMR 4350 is the go to powder for the 30 06
@Areaonereal
In Australia it's the other way round.
This is because Australia exports ADI 2209 to the USA where it's rebranded Hogdon 4350. The usual load for this in the ought six is 60 grains behind a 150grain bullet. WORK UP TO THIS LOAD AS IT US NEAR MAXIMUM. The gives about 3,000 fps.
IMR 4350 is quicker and can't be interchanged.
Bob

Very close to each other and depends on the equipment, components and the lot of powder used for any set of data. The various data seem to trend toward IMR 4350 being a tad faster than H 4350. I used IMR 4350 for years because of availability and it worked well for many applications and the best in a couple. However in the last year or so I have converted all my supply over to H 4350. Literally trading (selling at cost) to another shooter all the IMR I had. I have not been able to tell the difference in overall performance between the two and independent tests indicate the H (ADI) version is less temperature sensitive. I don't push any load with any powder to max so it really doesn't matter to me between the two other than I like the added insurance of the reduced temp sensitivity of the H.

Here is the latest powder burn rate chart and has several newer powders on it
7225FF16-99F5-4E2C-A8B7-4BB01E4BD226.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg