I'm a .391

tarbe

AH ambassador
Joined
Jan 26, 2014
Messages
5,004
Reaction score
9,830
Location
Romance, MO
Media
121
Articles
1
Hunting reports
Africa
1
Member of
NRA Life, Handloaders Anonymous
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Zimbabwe
Ok - this is kinda silly....trivial...useless.

But while logging some loads into my spreadsheet tonight (yes, I am a good German and I keep good records! :) ) I found myself wondering what the weighted-average caliber of all my loads over the past 44 years is.

So three dozen or so formulas later.... .391 it is!

With all the 45-70, 450-400 and 470 Nitro I am loading theses days, my average ought to be above 40 cal pretty soon. Then I can officially join the ranks of the "big boys".

Those 22 Hornets, 220 Swift and 223 Rem are killing my average!

:)
 
Wow Tim, I’m an engineer and you just out geeked me by a wide margin.
 
Ok - this is kinda silly....trivial...useless.

But while logging some loads into my spreadsheet tonight (yes, I am a good German and I keep good records! :) ) I found myself wondering what the weighted-average caliber of all my loads over the past 44 years is.

So three dozen or so formulas later.... .391 it is!

With all the 45-70, 450-400 and 470 Nitro I am loading theses days, my average ought to be above 40 cal pretty soon. Then I can officially join the ranks of the "big boys".

Those 22 Hornets, 220 Swift and 223 Rem are killing my average!

:)

Interesting spreadsheet man!
 
Yeah, when it comes to this stuff I am definitely a geek!

I used to have spreadsheets for all the maintenance on my cars...decided all that effort was a waste of time.

If I ever abandon geekedness when it comes to guns and loading you'll know I'm about to check out and cross the river!
 
I wouldn't say geeky. I just see you revelling in the sheer enjoyment of your hobby. It reminds me of the enthusiasm my dog has when he rolls in something stinky - sure it looks fun for him, but it's kinda odd:D;)
 
Surely someone out there is wondering...”what’s my number”?

:ROFLMAO:
 
:E Rofl: Thanks for the laugh buddy!
To be honest, when I first saw the post I thought, “Has Tim been dreaming of being a bullet again? My God, he has calculated his own personal Ballistic Coefficient!”
 
:E Rofl: Thanks for the laugh buddy!
To be honest, when I first saw the post I thought, “Has Tim been dreaming of being a bullet again? My God, he has calculated his own personal Ballistic Coefficient!”

Sadly, that is more like my sectional density than my B.C. :A Banana Sad:
 
What's the formula, is it weighted for the relative number of rounds loaded for a caliber, :D :rolleyes:or just straight averaging?
 
Weighted average....as stated in the original post. :whistle: :LOL:
 
Is this also accounting for all the 45 acp loads?
 
If he used a progressive he'd be over .400 already! ;)
Hah! You know that is...
NEVER GONNA HAPPEN
He’s way too old, stubborn, ornery and set in his ways. :A Outta:
 
I keep telling you guys....I don't have a progressive bone in my body!
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,454
Messages
1,576,598
Members
170,606
Latest member
duka
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Hornedfrogbbq wrote on Rhoyland4's profile.
Do you mind me asking what auction you are referencing? I'm not in the market for any of those rifles...just curious.

Frosty in Fort Worth
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top