AfricaHunting.com

Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.africahunting.com
Media
Articles
Giraffes are among wildlife species adversely affected by increased illegal poaching in Botswana. This follows the banning of legal hunting there several years ago.

The information was included recently during a presentation to the International Wildlife Conservation Council by Joseph Mbaiwa, Professor, Tourism Studies, Okavango Research Institute, University of Botswana. More details were included in Prof. Mbaiwa's written report that was published a peer-reviewed journal, the South African Geographical Journal.

"It is obvious to me that a lack of hunting is a cause for the decline in giraffe numbers," said Safari Club International President Paul Babaz.

"Illegal hunting incidents are reported to be on the increase in most parts of Northern Botswana," Mbaiwa's longer written report stated, adding that "one of the possible explanations for the recent estimated declines in the populations of some medium and large herbivore species (such as impala, tsessebe, zebra, kudu, giraffe, and lechwe) is increased pressure from illegal hunting by inhabitants of villages and settlements in and surrounding the Okavango Delta.''

"SAIEA (Southern African Institute for Environmental Assessment) argues that it is conceivable that 4000 wild animals are being harvested illegally each year in the Okavango Delta," the paper continues. "Illegal hunting for meat may be the most significant factor to account for the recent declines in herbivore species in the Okavango Delta. Therefore, there is need for poaching to be prevented to maintain viable populations of targeted ungulates in Northern Botswana."

Prof. Mbaiwa's written report also outlined how illegal poaching decreased after hunting was instituted in that country during the past century – before the hunting ban several years ago.

Source: Safari Club International (SCI)

I haven’t heard what has happened since but I think it was June 22 that Parliment votes to reinstate hunting in Botswana. I also heard that those that are going to be outfitters there this time have to be Botswana residents. I.E. no foreign outfitters/ph’s

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Henryedulk

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.