Blaser R8 multi-barrel cases

I’m trying to get 2 rifles, barrels, and scopes in the smallest case possible.

HH
This is another option but it's a tight fit. The bolts would stay installed on the stocks and there's plenty of cushion in the top foam to allow them to stick up a little bit.

After looking at the picture, I might be able to move the scopes further from the edges to protect them a little more.
1714825970588.png

This is another option but it's a tight fit. The bolts would stay installed on the stocks and there's plenty of cushion in the top foam to allow them to stick up a little bit.

After looking at the picture, I might be able to move the scopes further from the edges to protect them a little more.
View attachment 603483

That’s the problem I saw as well. Not enough padding on the top and bottom for my comfort.

HH

Scopes are going in the carry-on.

My problem is transiting through Frankfurt and don’t want to leave the airport with scopes in my backpack. I would anticipate problems coming back through security that I’m trying to avoid. I have the larger case configuration as a fall back.
Image1714827892.681087.jpg

HH

This is what I have used with pick and pluck foam. An R8 and a K95 with two moderators.
I am very keen to find a better type of foam.

BA66DE7C-2F73-48FB-B607-6FE61B8F6356.jpeg

My problem is transiting through Frankfurt and don’t want to leave the airport with scopes in my backpack. I would anticipate problems coming back through security that I’m trying to avoid. I have the larger case configuration as a fall back.
View attachment 603495

HH
If I mount the scoped on the barrels and stand them upright, I can get them to fit easily. The issue then becomes clearance between the scope turrets to the case...one direct hit and it's over. I'll keep screwing around but it looks like the scopes are going in the carry-on. It's just a better plan and not that big a deal for us.

Why would there be problems with a scope going through security in Frankfurt, Germany?

If I mount the scoped on the barrels and stand them upright, I can get them to fit easily. The issue then becomes clearance between the scope turrets to the case...one direct hit and it's over. I'll keep screwing around but it looks like the scopes are going in the carry-on. It's just a better plan and not that big a deal for us.

Why would there be problems with a scope going through security in Frankfurt, Germany?

I’m just unsure about how it would be seen at Frankfurt airport security. Maybe some other forum members have done it and can provide input.

HH

I’m just unsure about how it would be seen at Frankfurt airport security. Maybe some other forum members have done it and can provide input.

HH
I put optics in my checked in luggage through Frankfurt last year. Going out no issues, coming back, the padlocks had been removed and there was a letter inside the bag saying that the batteries had been removed from a red dot scope and a set of range finding binoculars

I cut the foam to fir in my Pelican. Not terribly happy with it. IMHO, you need a more dense foam.

I looked on case builder but did not see anything that they already had a drawing of.

As far as carrying stuff through security, a few years ago I was headed to a National Championship (pistol). I forgot to put my holster in my suitcase so I threw it into my carry on. It caused quite a stir as a "gun part". Finally found someone that truly understood what it was and it turns out ok, but lesson learned.

I cut the foam to fir in my Pelican. Not terribly happy with it. IMHO, you need a more dense foam.
What I've found is that the foam that comes with the Pelican case is a little flimsy, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. First, let's talk about foam.

Polyurethane foam (commonly called PU foam) is what is typically sent in a Pelican case. This is also what they use with the "pick & pluck" foam inserts. This is an open cell foam that will hold on to water, doesn't react well to solvents and has a squishy feel. Think of it like a sponge that you would use to wash a vehicle. This foam is also relatively inexpensive and easy to shape with an electric knife. This allows the end user to have several cutouts for one case for not too much money. I believe replacement foam for a Pelican 1700 is around $30 on Amazon for just the middle piece. PU foam usually looks like this.
1714909235465.png

Polyethylene foam (commonly called PE foam) is what many aftermarket companies use to fill a Pelican (or similar) case. This foam is stiffer, closed cell, doesn't absorb water and reacts well with mild solvents and oils. It's also expensive to buy and if you don't know what you are doing, you can end up ruining that nice piece you just paid for. The alternitive is to pay someone like MyCaseBuilder to do it for you. Just keep in mind that YOU are the one responsible for the design and if you make a mistake and it doesn't fit...not their fault. Prices can be astronomical and exceed the price for the case it's going in depending on the options chosen. PE foam usually looks like this.
1714909279843.png

I'm not saying that the PE foam is better or worse that PU, I'm saying it's a choice. Be informed and make a decision that best suits your needs and budget.

Full disclosure - I just sold two Pelican 1700 cases that had custom PE foam cutouts for a Blaser R8, two barrels, two scopes and all the accessories. Why did I sell them? They did not meet my current needs, which are to travel with two complete Blaser R8's in one 1700 case. And if I really want to travel with just one again, I'll pay $30 for another foam insert.

For now struggling with how to accurately cut the PU foam for the 1700 case I just bought. I know from prior experience with the PU foam on my 1750 that it is quite flimsy without the firearms installed, but when they are in there...nothing is moving. My plan is to go slow and not make big cuts. I might even try to use a friends scroll saw to do the job to keep the edges straight. Results to follow.

Last edited:
What I've found is that the foam that comes with the Pelican case is a little flimsy, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. First, let's talk about foam.

Polyurethane foam (commonly called PU foam) is what is typically sent in a Pelican case. This is also what they use with the "pick & pluck" foam inserts. This is an open cell foam that will hold on to water, doesn't react well to solvents and has a squishy feel. Think of it like a sponge that you would use to wash a vehicle. This foam is also relatively inexpensive and easy to shape with an electric knife. This allows the end user to have several cutouts for one case for not too much money. I believe replacement foam for a Pelican 1700 is around $30 on Amazon for just the middle piece. PU foam usually looks like this.
View attachment 603691

Polyethylene foam (commonly called PE foam) is what many aftermarket companies use to fill a Pelican (or similar) case. This foam is stiffer, closed cell, doesn't absorb water and reacts well with mild solvents and oils. It's also expensive to buy and if you don't know what you are doing, you can end up ruining that nice piece you just paid for. The alternitive is to pay someone like MyCaseBuilder to do it for you. Just keep in mind that YOU are the one responsible for the design and if you make a mistake and it doesn't fit...not their fault. Prices can be astronomical and exceed the price for the case it's going in depending on the options chosen. PE foam usually looks like this.
View attachment 603692

I'm not saying that the PE foam is better or worse that PU, I'm saying it's a choice. Be informed and make a decision that best suits your needs and budget.

I'm currently struggling with how to accurately cut some PU foam for my 1700. I know from prior experience with my 1750 that it is quite flimsy without the firearms installed, but when they are in there...nothing is moving. My plan is to go slow and not make big cutouts. I might even try to use a friends scroll saw to do the job and keep the edges straight. Results to follow.
Best method of cutting for me was a sharp utility knife to start then use an electric carving knife, it works fast and easy

Best method of cutting for me was a sharp utility knife to start then use an electric carving knife, it works fast and easy
That's probably what I'll do. It's the Kraut in me trying to make everything perfect, even when I know it won't be. Appreciate the input.

I have the KoR and really like it. Probably not as good as closed cell foam but very versatile

Hand cutting foam with an electric knife was never good enough to satisfy this German. Case builder works so much better.

That's probably what I'll do. It's the Kraut in me trying to make everything perfect, even when I know it won't be. Appreciate the input.
I suspect what you do will turn out really nice. Those electric turkey carving knives are really useful for this job. Might as well buy one since you are going to do more than one foam set for the Blaser parts in your future.

Hand cutting foam with an electric knife was never good enough to satisfy this German. Case builder works so much better.
The German perfectionist in me is battling with my frugal Scottish upbringing and I'm not sure who's going to win.

I suspect what you do will turn out really nice. Those electric turkey carving knives are really useful for this job. Might as well buy one since you are going to do more than one foam set for the Blaser parts in your future.
My neighbor has one that she said I could borrow. Just me being cheap I suppose. ;)

The German perfectionist in me is battling with my frugal Scottish upbringing and I'm not sure who's going to win.

My neighbor has one that she said I could borrow. Just me being cheap I suppose. ;)
Bosch also makes a jig saw blade for foam. About 6”long

Scopes in carry-on can raise eyebrows 1) if illuminated, and 2) if 'tactical' (military) reticles are present. BDC could be considered tactical.. Germany can be such a place. Pull the battery.

Scopes in carry-on can raise eyebrows 1) if illuminated, and 2) if 'tactical' (military) reticles are present. BDC could be considered tactical.. Germany can be such a place. Pull the battery.
We always take the batteries out. Appreciate the reminder.

Does anyone have an outline saved on case builder?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FB88cs

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?