Ideas on 30.06 rounds?

Discussion in 'Up To .375' started by Matt224, Sep 8, 2015.

1. lcq

lcq AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA CSSA
    Hunted:
    Canada, RSA
    The 300wsm is identical to the 300wm until you get over 180gr. I must say that last May my 7mm with 160 a-frames flattened both an enormous zebra (pass through) and a monster wildebeest (almost through) with a single shot. I used a 150 core-lokt on the bushbuck and there was no blood and no exit, good thing it died quick. The 160gr Ultras would be used in my 7mm which I might add are the same speed as the 180gr 300wsm. I would use 180 accubonds in the 300 and for baboons would use 155gr Amax @3300 with a relatively mild load of 72gr superformance, should flatten them ;) The following link gives an indication of how the Ultras work on gel in a 30 cal

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/ammo/ballistics-test-best-300-win-mag-loads-market/

enysse and Velo Dog like this.

2. Velo Dog

Velo Dog AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member.
    Hunted:
    South Africa 3 times, Namibia 2 times, USA - most western states including Alaska and Hawaii.
    4 shots espresso and two cups regular brewed coffee.
    I'm still buzzin' like a saw this afternoon.
    "They" say that I have motor-mouth to begin with but, when I over dose on caffeine (Yuppy Meth), I can talk all the paint off any wall.

Royal27 and lcq like this.

3. Velo Dog

Velo Dog AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member.
    Hunted:
    South Africa 3 times, Namibia 2 times, USA - most western states including Alaska and Hawaii.
    Excellent.
    And, regarding baboons specifically:
    Been to you know where 4 times now, (including the third time alone was 30 days boots on the ground) and have not yet gotten a decent crack at a baboon, unless you count the ones I chose to not take because we were trying to stalk something else.
    And one time I had a big shaggy male in my sights at a water dam but, there were some female impala and one female nyala loitering around a few yards past him so, I waited and waited but something spooked all critters present, including the troupe of apes, and they erupted in every direction as though someone had dropped a job application in the middle of them.
    Your 3300 fps .30 load should turn any big mean baboon into about 3 or 4 little squirrel monkeys.
    Baboons annoy me because they like to eat klipspringers (and other pygmy antelopes) so, I see them the same as I see coyotes and wolves here in Alaska.
    In other words I do not think they should be totally destroyed but they surely do need serious culling lately.
    I look forward to reading how your safari turns out with your "ape load".

enysse, lcq and bluey like this.

4. lcq

lcq AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA CSSA
    Hunted:
    Canada, RSA
    I had 1 decent shot at a big old male but Mr. clumsy knocked over a water bottle getting into position. We stalked them forever and nada. That said as I was being driven to the airport a troop crossed in front of us. My PH hit the brakes, rolled down my window and threw me the 9mm, dang no shot as the brush ate them up.

Velo Dog likes this.

5. enysse

enysse AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
    Again the "Core-Lokt Ultra" bullets are really nice bullets, they are compromise bullet, meaning they are not perfect but they do create big holes and I would use them on elk here in the states. I just would avoid that quartering to shot with them because they will not drive through that front shoulder. Broadside shot, they will be super deadly, like the A-Frame.

lcq likes this.

6. gatekeeper

gatekeeper AH Member

Member of:
    NRA
    I have had great success with Nosler bullets. For PG, that would be a 180gr Partition or an Accubond for me in an 06. Depending on your rifle and barrel length, you should see 2700-2800fps. Several factory loads are available. That's a mighty good combination for any non dangerous game the world over.

7. Doug375

Doug375 AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    U.S., Namibia, Zambia
    I used a .30-06 on my first trip to Namibia. I killed 5 PG animals ranging from Warthog to Mountain Zebra. All were 1 shot kills. I used the Barnes 180 grain TSX. I'm a big fan of the Barnes TSX because they have always been more than accurate enough for anything I've hunted, and they perform well on game.