Ideal expanding bullet for thin skinned game (416 Rigby)?

I was thinking along the lines that some of these partitions might be "tougher" than others considering the game they are designed for. Looking for open that will open up and expand adequately on "smaller" game like moose and bear.
Fair enough.

I’ve shot a number of plains game with TSX out of my 404. Hit them harder than my 30-06 ever hit anything.

The one bullet I recovered was opened. Not sure if it matters. A big bullet is kind of pre-expanded. I hear lots of people talk about them zipping right through but I’ve never seen a thin-skinned animal take a 40+ caliber bullet do anything other than drop dead.

I'll bet that almost any expanding bullet will work well on a moose - they're not armour plated.

I've never hunted any kind of bear, and from what I understand they can be fairly 'soft' targets, but I guess that there could be situations where you'd want to drop them quick-quick. So in that case perhaps some bonded, but still soft-ish type of bullet would be good (e.g. Woodleigh or NorthFork PP) - or some bullet designed to shed petals/lead (perhaps Nosler Partitions or CEB Raptor).

I haven't been able to find any of these 350 grainers but I just picked up a few more boxes of 416 Rigby.

2 Boxes of Sako's soft points
1 Box of Federal TBBC
1 Box of Norma Solids

Obviously not a 416 Rigby but I’ve had tremendous success with 200 grain TBBCs out of my 300 win mag. I’ve killed moose, black bear and brown bear with that set up. I’m sure the 400 grainers out of your 416 will be more than adequate for whatever you encounter. Take plenty of pictures and share a hunt report.

I plan on hunting the majority of Canadian Big Game with my 416 Rigby over the next two years.

Looking for the ideal expanding bullet for the task. I know they are all plenty of gun for the task but I'm looking for the partition that will expand the most on light skinned game.

White tail deer, black bear, elk, caribou, moose and bison are all on the menu.

Last edited:
I haven't been able to find any of these 350 grainers but I just picked up a few more boxes of 416 Rigby.

2 Boxes of Sako's soft points
1 Box of Federal TBBC
1 Box of Norma Solids

The Sako is loaded with A-frame bullets.......and a bit of a side track, but looked on the sako website and can't see any mention of the aframe ( they call it the twin head) , or loaded ammunition in 416 rigby..or the same load in the 500 jeffery which I like....seems they stopped making it...biggest I could see was 9.3x62 in the hammerhead i think....if that's the case not good

Last edited:
The Sako is loaded with A-frame bullets.......and a bit of a side track, but looked on the sako website and can't see any mention of the aframe ( they call it the twin head) , or loaded ammunition in 416 rigby..or the same load in the 500 jeffery which I like....seems they stopped making it...biggest I could see was 9.3x62 in the hammerhead i think....if that's the case not good
Yeah it was the Sako Twinhead II that I picked up. Loaded with swift A frames.

I'm not seeing any of the big bore Cal's listed on the Sako site either, they top out at 375...not good.

Might have to go back to the store and clear them out of that Sako ammo if this is the last of it.

Is there any difference in felt recoil with 50-100fps less velocity?

By and large it looks like most 400 grain factory loads are doing 2,400 fps, however it looks like Federals A-Frame load is doing 2,350 fps and their Trophy Bonded Bear Claws are doing 2,300 fps.

Would this difference be perceivable on the shoulder?

Is there any difference in felt recoil with 50-100fps less velocity?

By and large it looks like most 400 grain factory loads are doing 2,400 fps, however it looks like Federals A-Frame load is doing 2,350 fps and their Trophy Bonded Bear Claws are doing 2,300 fps.

Would this difference be perceivable on the shoulder?
I would say "Not really", especially not in a hunting situation. Perhaps you can feel the difference if you really concentrate on it when pulling the trigger, but why should you? There are so many things that affect felt recoil, and bullet velocity is just one of them. Of more importance I would rate shooting position, how well you shoulder the rifle, frame of mind (i.e. do you anticipate to get hurt). Of even more importance - but maybe not relevant in this case, since you have the rifle already - is gun weight and stock shape.

Also, advertised velocities may not be accurate in your rifle.

Side note but was anyone else surprised how similar in length the 416 Rigby is to the 375HH? Standing them side by side they appear to be virtually identical in length, despite the "Magnum length actions"

Side note but was anyone else surprised how similar in length the 416 Rigby is to the 375HH? Standing them side by side they appear to be virtually identical in length, despite the "Magnum length actions"

The 416 Rigby is a considerably longer cartridge if I'm not mistaken. Max COL for the Rigby is 95.25 mm (3.750"), and for the 375HH it's 91.4mm (3.600"). The empty case is not that much different in length, though. So I guess that it would be possible to build a 416 Rigby rifle on an action/magazine that just about handles a 375 HH, but you'd might have to seat your bullets deep (or use lighter/shorter bullets), and there would probably be problems with some/most factory ammo.

The 416 Rigby is a considerably longer cartridge if I'm not mistaken. Max COL for the Rigby is 95.25 mm (3.750"), and for the 375HH it's 91.4mm (3.600"). The empty case is not that much different in length, though. So I guess that it would be possible to build a 416 Rigby rifle on an action/magazine that just about handles a 375 HH, but you'd might have to seat your bullets deep (or use lighter/shorter bullets), and there would probably be problems with some/most factory ammo.
Those are the same specs that I read but when standing them side by side I can't honestly tell the difference...I'll post a picture shortly.

Unless for some reason PPU 375HH are unusually long or Hornady 416s are shorter than standard?

I think you will have pass through on both if broad side hit

Like you can see in the photo here, the 400 grain Rigby does not seem to be perciebably longer than a 300 grain 375HH. Also shown is a 230 grain 338 WM for reference.

I had to double check the headstamp at first to make sure it wasn't 416 RemMag.

PXL_20240310_142701233.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Like you can see in the photo here, the 400 grain Rigby does not seem to be perciebably longer than a 300 grain 375HH. Also shown is a 230 grain 338 WM for reference.

I had to double check the headstamp at first to make sure it wasn't 416 RemMag.

Interesting, but anecdotal so to speak. These particular ones are almost the same length, but either the 375 is loaded longer, or the 416 shorter, than allowed by CIP/SAAMI specs. It is quite possible that a 375 with a long bullet, but still within spec, is longer than a 416 loaded with a light/short bullet that is seated 'calibre deep'.

For me, a Barnes TSX. Your .416 Rigby is a great round, a bit overkill for moose but will know one flat for sure. Have fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeMo

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you