Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASA, CHASA
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Namibia,Zambia
So I am working on completing my African rifle battery.

All rifles will be on Brno ZKK actions.

I have:

500 Jeff custom ZKK602
375 H&H standard ZKK602(pop up peep sight)

375 H&H custom ZKK602(pop up peep sight). This one will be rebarreled to 404 Jeff to complete my DG rifle set.

Need a 300 H&H custom on a ZKK602 action currently shopping for a donor action/rifle.

30/06 ZKK600(pop up peep sight)to convert to 7x57mm
243 WM ZKK601(pop up peep sight) to convert to 260 Rem

Main headache now is to deside on the 243W conversion.....

I love classic calibers but am not advers to modern.

The 243 W although a classic in its own right shoots too fast the bullets are too light for caliber and it is a meat waster....
I need an ideal caliber that will fit the short action fire a bullet with .3 or better SD at about 2750fps max.
I think the 260 Rem is ideal and ticks the box but I have no experience with it

I might add the the 260 Rem will be a dedicated Springbuck Blesbuck rifle for open plains hunting out to a max of 350 yards but it needs the ability to take a Black wildebeest and also double as a mountain rifle for Mnt reedbuck and Vaalie.....and leave me the opportunity to eat what I shoot that the 243WM does not....

Helo me decide...thx

Since you will be installing a new barrel anyway, get a fast twist 260 barrel so you can use the 155-160 grain bullets. I think the 269 fits the bill pretty well.

Since you will be installing a new barrel anyway, get a fast twist 260 barrel so you can use the 155-160 grain bullets. I think the 269 fits the bill pretty well.
Rhino bullets make a controlled expansion bullet in 150gr and that is what I want to use target velocity will be 2700 to max 2750fps

500 Jeff 600gr @ 2250fps
404 Jeff 420gr @ 2300fps
375 H&H 340gr @ 2350fps
300 H&H 200gr @ 2700-2750fps
7x57mm 170gr @ 2350fps
260 Rem 150gr @ 2700-2750fps

These are my targets

What a great set of rifles, to keep old school/classic wouldn't the 6.5X55 do the job nicely, plenty of components & ammo in SA compared to the 260Rem (also a very good cartridge) ?

What a great set of rifles, to keep old school/classic wouldn't the 6.5X55 do the job nicely, plenty of components & ammo in SA compared to the 260Rem (also a very good cartridge) ?
It would but it does not fit the ZKK601 action it needs a ZKK600 action

I am a huge Brno ZKK fan and have a couple of my own . You have a nice collection of Brno's and some solid ideas . Being in SA you shouldn't battle too much to find pre-owned ZKKs if needed just certain calibers are sometimes scarce , like the one I am looking for - 7x57 . Good luck with your project !

I am a huge Brno ZKK fan and have a couple of my own . You have a nice collection of Brno's and some solid ideas . Being in SA you shouldn't battle too much to find pre-owned ZKKs if needed just certain calibers are sometimes scarce , like the one I am looking for - 7x57 . Good luck with your project !
Thats why I will convert the 30-06...had my hands on a 7x57mm but it was butchered....

I would personally go 6.5C over the 260, but I also don't find the 243 to waste any more meat than anything else. We shoot heavier bonded bullets, if that helps. Nice collection of pop up sight actions!

Great collection. Have you considered 7mm-08 Rem with heavier style projectiles? I've no direct experience with it, but know several people who like it.

You considered a .338 Federal ?

I like all of your choices. Good look with your endeavor.

I would personally go 6.5C over the 260, but I also don't find the 243 to waste any more meat than anything else. We shoot heavier bonded bullets, if that helps. Nice collection of pop up sight actions!
6.5C does not fit the short action...

Great collection. Have you considered 7mm-08 Rem with heavier style projectiles? I've no direct experience with it, but know several people who like it.
No have the 7x57mm for that

Good battery. The 260 Rem is a great cartridge and has it all over the 6.5 Crudmore because of more capacity. But to take advantage of that, the chamber throat needs to be long enough so those 140 gr and heavier bullets don't impinge too far into the case thus negating the greater powder capacity. And the longer bullets will likely require a faster twist than for the standard 260 which is usually about 9 or 10".

Last edited:
Why 260 Remington? As you know 6,5 x55 has been doing it better for over 100 years. Then the 265 Winchester or 6.5 PRC comes to mind for old and new flavor. And the new tomato stake would be 6 5 creedmore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roll_the_Knob!

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.