Idaho Elk Hunt first time

I’ve used a .270 win, 7 mm rem mag, .300 win mag and a 6.5CM for shooting elk. The 7 mag has taken the vast majority, then the .270. I wouldn’t recommend a 6.5CM, it worked but not very well. I also don’t think a big caliber is needed. In Idaho you might be in timber at 50 yards or cross canyon at 400. Practice for both. A very good scope is most important, you should be able to dial elevation. You will definitely want a bipod on the gun.

A DIY hunt there is a multiple year investment, the more time you hunt there, the more your success rate will increase.

Likely the most important thing is being in really good shape. It is possible to shoot an elk from a logging road, but you most likely will be walking, a lot. Be ready for a 1-2 hour hike in the dark in the morning (or more). If you train, it will be wonderful. If you don’t, ouch.

Since you're a hunter, you know what rifle you'll use. Logistics is the real issue. If you know your way around a horse, and want to rent them, simply want one on standby to pack out with, or want to know what unit to apply for in the controlled hunt, PM me. Happy to make a specific recommendation.....FWB

Since you're a hunter, you know what rifle you'll use. Logistics is the real issue. If you know your way around a horse, and want to rent them, simply want one on standby to pack out with, or want to know what unit to apply for in the controlled hunt, PM me. Happy to make a specific recommendation.....FWB
Thank you, I will shoot you a message at some point soon. Going to share the wisdom of these replies with my hunting buddy as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarioWinsl

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?