Captain Munro

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Website
jtwannabewriter.blogspot.com
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
A friend and I are planning a potential 2024 DIY Elk hunt in Idaho. I wanted to see if anyone had any advice, ideas, or tips for going. Best places, gear, tactics, etc. Thanks in advance!

The tag draws have been very difficult for out-of-state hunters. I’d start by calling Idaho fish and game and find an area that has a reasonable chance for getting a tag, then work from there. Their fish and game has been very helpful for me in the past. The regional offices will answer the phone and give you advice on where to go and not go.

We have to apply for tags in Dec. Having hunted Yellow Pine area for black bear, I will say it is rugged. I think the wolves are wrecking things. Got a buddy near Grangeville and will be applying for next year to hunt there. Good luck!

We have called one of the regional offices and they were very helpful. Told us about the OTC tag process. Going to compile a list of questions for them and the other offices.

Thank you!
We have to apply for tags in Dec. Having hunted Yellow Pine area for black bear, I will say it is rugged. I think the wolves are wrecking things. Got a buddy near Grangeville and will be applying for next year to hunt there. Good luck!
Don't mind rugged when I'm still young haha. Any preference for rifle and ammo? I have a 338 win mag I'd think to use.

Thank you!

Don't mind rugged when I'm still young haha. Any preference for rifle and ammo? I have a 338 win mag I'd think to use.
.338 WM is a great choice. Use a premium bullet (Swift/Nosler/Barnes/Hornady Copper in 210 - 225 grains and you're good as far as a responsible sportsman would shoot. I took a nice bull a few years ago in Wyoming at around 200+ yards using my 340 WM and a 210 grain Nosler partition. He was dead before his body touched the ground with a center of shoulder shot. Have fun preparing!

I will say that eastern Idaho had a significant winter kill this last year. N Idaho as well as NE has a wolf problem. One of the Selway units has around 20% of the elk they had pre wolf re-introduction. Hells canyon/W Idaho seems to still produce decent numbers of elk.
Bruce

I will say that eastern Idaho had a significant winter kill this last year. N Idaho as well as NE has a wolf problem. One of the Selway units has around 20% of the elk they had pre wolf re-introduction. Hells canyon/W Idaho seems to still produce decent numbers of elk.
Bruce
Wow. Can I get a wolf tag too? That is a shame. Are the wolves over populated then?

You are off to a good start. IDF&G is a good place to begin your research, both on the phone and on-line. I am sure you already know some of this, but here’s my advice as a resident of the Gem state.
First, accept the fact that you are going to have competition in them thar hills. Unless you draw a good limited entry tag you will probably have plenty of company. I have known people who were discouraged right off the bat because they were not properly prepared mentally. Don’t star your hunt this way! And use the other hunters to your advantage. Let them push game to you and listen to where shots are coming from.
If you have definitely made the decision to come to Idaho, you should consider applying for a limited entry tag and possibly a cow elk tag. Idaho has “extra” antlerless tags you can draw even if you have a limited entry bull tag or a regular season bull tag.
You may want to have a deer tag if there are overlapping seasons and definitely have at least 1 wolf tag in your pocket. Check the regs carefully for details, but Idaho also allows you to burn your deer or elk tag on a bear or mountain lion if you have the opportunity.
Look at the Big Hame Guide Book for maps that show elk population - above objective, meeting objective or below objective for some info in selecting you hunt area.
Check harvest statistics as well for the units you are considering. I would look at 5 years history at least.
A punched tag, especially your first year, should be viewed as a huge bonus. Enjoy the experience and consider it a scouting trip for future hunts and you get to pack a rifle!
Cross reference seasons carefully. Your hunt may overlap with other hunts going on. The more overlap, the more people. Possibly.
Understand in detail! the different tag options, “A Tag”, “B Tag”, Limited Entry Bull Tag, etc. The A Tag is geared to more opportunity for earlier archery and late season spike or “any elk”. B Tag generally is geared toward October rifle antlered elk.
Most elk country in Idaho is rugged. It can be daunting. And you have to get your elk out if you punch a tag. These are not minor considerations. Be prepared! Both mentally and physically. Maybe even look into a Packer service depending where you are hunting. Bring a pack that you can haul a heavy load if needed. You may be bringing it out in many pieces. If you a prepared for this you will be a more successful elk hunter because you will go where you must in an effort to find elk. If you aren’t prepared to do this you will limit your hunting to be near and above roads. This is not a recipe for success.
That’s my 2 bits as a starter, I hope you find some value there.
Good luck and have fun!

There are 3 ways to hunt elk in Idaho.....1. OTC general tag (poorest), 2. controlled hunt tag (lottery) (good) 3. Private Land.....(best.) These are not necessarily mutually exclusive...you can get a controlled hunt tag and still hunt private land, for instance. Decide whether you are foot hunters or horse hunters. It is quite possible for a young, fit man to hunt elk on foot........but getting it out is a challenge. Don't miss the tag quota.....note the application deadlines and be Johnny on the spot.......OTC tags are sold out quickly. Best of luck...........FWB

I have done guided elk hunts in Montana for over 20 years. My hunting buddies and I have pondered doing a DIY, but we concluded we might die doing it. Having access to horses, pack mules, tent camps, cabins, etc are a big deal in the big, big country out west.

Weather is a critical factor on elk hunting. The wind is especially critical in stalking elk. I've been glassing a herd of elk several hundred yards away and if they wind you, they're gone.

DIY elk hunt is quite a challenge. Randy Newberg does a lot of excellent videos on elk hunting.

A 338 WM has been my go to elk rifle for several years. A 225 gr Swift A-Frame is what I load. Get in really good shape as the altitude and steep terrain is tough.

@Captain Munro I admire your pluck!

I haven't hunted elk in Idaho, just pheasants and deer, but I have flown into most of the backcountry strips in search of trout and at The Flying B Ranch (before it became a resort ranch) I saw some hunters headed out and thought "I sure am glad I'm holding a fly rod instead of a gun". And I can't remember ever saying that before- or since.

I love Idaho. Lived in Boise for 2 1/2 years back in the early '80's. In fact that's where I learned to fly.

Have fun and good luck.

Oh, when you go be sure and take an inReach with you. A sat phone wouldn't be a bad idea either.

I have done guided elk hunts in Montana for over 20 years. My hunting buddies and I have pondered doing a DIY, but we concluded we might die doing it. Having access to horses, pack mules, tent camps, cabins, etc are a big deal in the big, big country out west.

Weather is a critical factor on elk hunting. The wind is especially critical in stalking elk. I've been glassing a herd of elk several hundred yards away and if they wind you, they're gone.

DIY elk hunt is quite a challenge. Randy Newberg does a lot of excellent videos on elk hunting.

A 338 WM has been my go to elk rifle for several years. A 225 gr Swift A-Frame is what I load. Get in really good shape as the altitude and steep terrain is tough.

His videos are some that we have been watching for info. I feel good about the 338, though ammo is scarce-ish right now.

@Captain Munro I admire your pluck!

I haven't hunted elk in Idaho, just pheasants and deer, but I have flown into most of the backcountry strips in search of trout and at The Flying B Ranch (before it became a resort ranch) I saw some hunters headed out and thought "I sure am glad I'm holding a fly rod instead of a gun". And I can't remember ever saying that before- or since.

I love Idaho. Lived in Boise for 2 1/2 years back in the early '80's. In fact that's where I learned to fly.

Have fun and good luck.
I'd love to live up in Idaho, my kind of place for the most part!

Where we hunt in S. Idaho hunting elevations are 6,500 - 7000 ft and near the end of October mornings are around 15 degrees F. If you are a valley person find some hills or a stair master now and get in shape.

Oh, and repeat the mantra after me - "I will shoot them at the top of the hill". Trust me...

Oh, and repeat the mantra after me - "I will shoot them at the top of the hill". Trust me...

I've shot elk at the top of the hill, the middle, and the bottom and after I am done packing them out I tell myself never again. But I'll be right back there the next year, you have to go where they are at.

I have however shot 3 in 40 years that I could drive to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarioWinsl

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?