I need Kynoch Wads

Does anyone have any spare Kynoch 40-50 caliber wads? (For a .450 and .470 NE)

Trader Keith is out of stock. I need four bags total to regulate two rifles, build their loads, etc.
There was a newer member to the forum from England that had lots of old ammo and Kynoch wads, even with shipping it wasn't a bad deal and I'm trying to find his post.

The other option would be this in 1/2" if you can find it.

Dacron won’t suffice?
Dacron produces higher pressure
 
I make my own using 2”x2” square lightweight foam insulation that you put around a window AC unit. For the punch I take a ruined case and cut the case head off as well as cutting the case just below the shoulder, then I sharpen one end with a round file. I’ll post a photo of the square form when I get home. I cut the foam about an inch in width and punch away. Each plug weighs about 2-3 grains.
 
Dacron won’t suffice?
Dacron produces a bit more pressure, but that doesn't bother me. It does create different regulation, however. If I'm regulating two rifles and loading up 100 rounds each for them, I need to know I have enough kynoch wads to handle that task or it isn't worth starting with Kynoch. Changing wads later will require building a new load.
 
Dacron produces a bit more pressure, but that doesn't bother me. It does create different regulation, however. If I'm regulating two rifles and loading up 100 rounds each for them, I need to know I have enough kynoch wads to handle that task or it isn't worth starting with Kynoch. Changing wads later will require building a new load.
I was always afraid of packing dacron too tight especially in bottleneck cases below the shoulder. I like wads or foam better.
 
I was always afraid of packing dacron too tight especially in bottleneck cases below the shoulder. I like wads or foam better.

The proponents of dacron are using 3031 and RL15 at low pressures, just enough to get regulating velocity. They are then meticulously weighing their dacron for 1gr or 1.5gr to ensure they are not allowing variances in pressure.

Dacron should be treated with the same respect as powder. .5 grains variance in either can create an unsafe condition.
 
I've used both Dacron and Kynoch wads in my double rifles. Mostly using 3031 (470) and
RL15 (450-400). I really don't like the Dacron and wads are impossible to find. Just starting to regulate
with open cell backer rod. In 500 NE the Dacron actually works well with 2.0 gr over H335.
 
Buffalo Arms has wads has felt and veg fiber wads. Circle fly has all kinds of card and fiber wads. Might check them.
 
Yes I was always very meticulous when measuring Dacron. Moved on to foam wads or backer rod in probably 08-09’ and never looked back. Now I just cut the backer rod to the same length. Much easier and quicker than Dacron and a hell of a lot mess when you fire the rounds.
 
I wrote Surgeon1 a PM that says about this:

What you use for a wad or stuffing doesn’t matter that much, what matters greatly is prefect uniformity and consistency. Have enough to use the rest of your life for that given rifle.

As to which wad is best, there is no such thing. I’ve had scenarios where Dacron worked better, or worse, or different. My personal preference is to get regulation with low pressures using 3031 and RL15. Before I go off the deep end and try other powders, I would definitely change the wad and if that doesn’t work, I’d change the primer. Anything you can do to keep the recoil curve of original cordite is good, anything you can do to keep recoil down is very good.

All wads are just another tool to get good regulation.
 
I use this fiber wads 20 ga and 28 ga for reloading the cartridges 577 Nitro Express and 600 Nitro Express. Work well.

IMG_0001 (24).jpeg
 
Here the stuff… a package of this (about $6) will make hundreds of the lightest plugs and they don’t collapse. I’ve used these for years. I personally think backer rod is too stiff and heavy but I’m sure it works.
IMG_4091.jpeg
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,299
Messages
1,572,040
Members
169,481
Latest member
PhillisChi
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top