I need boots for my first safari

Good advise. I have two pairs of Courteney Selous boots and one pair of Courteney Warriors. They work great in mountainous terrain or when it’s cold - that means 15 *C in KZN. I have done many many hunts in vellies or running shoes, and they work perfectly well. On even terrain I would venture to say they work better than a heavy boot.

Someone mentioned strengthening ankles. You can not really strengthen the joint, but you can strengthen the supporting muscles, and most importantly improve your proprioception, so that you do not loose balance easily and sprain an ankle. The best start to achieve that is to see a good physiotherapist and religiously adhere to the exercises that they give you.
Exactly right. Too much is made of substituting various design attributes of footwear for strength and conditioning of the legs, ankles and feet. Matter of fact doing so becomes counter-productive very quickly.

I work, walk, hike, and hunt in these Timberlands. They come in wide which helps my wide food. Waterproof, but not hot… Little to no break in. I brought a new pair on my Safari to the Waterberg Mntns last September and left them for someone that could use them and wore my Merrell slip in shoes home…

IMG_9848.png

IMG_9849.jpeg

My PH on this last trip made a comment the second day we were in the field that surprised me. "I knew right away you were an experienced hunter." How's that? "Your boots. They're well worn and functional." Interesting. Not my battered and scarred WWII Springfield rifle, but rather he deduced a history of hunting experience by looking at my choice of footwear.
1696232622396418277797747502892.jpg

About the third day in as we finished up and were approaching the vehicle at dusk, he asked my age. I'll soon be 71 (this week in fact). "You certainly don't have any trouble keeping up." I gave him a tip. "Did you notice my gun cross slung across my back? That allows me to swing my arms. Pendulum effect conserves about a third of the energy needed to walk out." It's something I learned a LONG time ago tracking big game in snow. Learning to conserve energy in our harsh Canadian winters is essential ... especially when hunting alone. But of course that tip didn't help him much because like any style conscious PH he has to carry his rifle slingless and balanced on top of his shoulder.

Last edited:
You don't need anything special. One of the most well-known PHs wears crocs without socks, and he walks over a thousand miles a year.

View attachment 557894
I wore crocs while hunting hyena… they work well. Like mentioned already, North American boots have too soft a sole, my Oboz were tore up in 12 days. Comfortable shoe but won’t last a second safari.

I wore crocs while hunting hyena… they work well. Like mentioned already, North American boots have too soft a sole, my Oboz were tore up in 12 days. Comfortable shoe but won’t last a second safari.
I envy you guys that can wear crocs and other open footwear in sandy terrain , for me I just can’t stand the feeling of sand , dirt and other debris on my feet. I tried wearing my Keen water shoes on some of my daily walks but my tender baby feet just couldn’t hack it. Too many seeds and other nasties would get in there and I couldn’t shake them out. I would be walking shaking my leg as if I peed down my leg and was trying to shake it off.

Shoes/Boots are difficult .. Red Wing non insulated
View attachment 558751
Rugged & Comfortable Boot's/Footwear are really difficult to suggest, subjective.
We require a certain boot for work. However, when you look @ $275 "Red Wings", North Face Insulated Pants, Helly Hansen, Conterra, Down Work Jackets to socks. That's a $1000 of Apparel .. Made in China.

Some lines are, real redwings are not. The Irish Setter by red wing are just about junk.
Unfortunately some red wing brand boots are made in China and other Asian countries. You can look on their website. Heritage line will tell you at top made in USA other lines you will see they don’t say made in USA but when you scroll further down it will say globally sourced.

Unfortunately some red wing brand boots are made in China and other Asian countries. You can look on their website. Heritage line will tell you at top made in USA other lines you will see they don’t say made in USA but when you scroll further down it will say globally sourced.

Darn. I was just going off what the man at the Red Wing store told me. He said if all it said was Red Wing, and not “fill in the blank” by Red Wing that they were made in America.
At least the one tied to my left foot is American.

Don't over think the boots.

Quite likely if you have a pair of non-insulated boots they will work just fine in South Africa.

Last year I wore a pair of Chrispy Colorado's, but they are no longer available but they have a similar style as a replacement. On my first Safari I wore a pair of Mendi non-insulated hikers.

I have had zero problems with the brush and thorns of the area.
+++ for Meindl, should be ok to get in Sweden. My first pair of Kiruna's is still going after 14 years of abuse. these should fit the bill:

+++ for Meindl, should be ok to get in Sweden. My first pair of Kiruna's is still going after 14 years of abuse. these should fit the bill:
this would be pretty close to a classic summer boot

Attachments

• Sonnblick | Meindl - Shoes For Actives.pdf
    934.1 KB · Views: 28
I have one pair "Assembled US" with imported components, like most everything ..
mfr.jpg
mfr2.jpg

They're Gor-Tex is really water tight.

Last edited:
I’ve been a Union Steamfitter my whole career and adult life. I’ve done my best to buy American, to include Redwing Boots. At some point I switched to Danner…

Now that I manage and supervise Industrial construction, and do not spend as much time in the field, I wear a lighter boot.

Construction Grade/Trade grade boots are expensive! A bit different than a hunting boot, but it shouldn’t diminish your personal goal of supporting the effort that is important to you. Especially if you can afford it…

I still wear Danner boots at times. The made in the USA ones. For both, work, and different types of hunting. I also wear other boot brands that fit my EEE foot comfortably…

From the Danner website:

Made in USA​

This classification of manufacturing is our promise that this product was built from top to bottom in our Portland, Ore. factory. Our USA Made boots are built with the same commitment to superior craftsmanship that we’ve been known for since 1932.

Made in USA / Berry Compliant​

Berry Compliant is a certification that meets or exceeds the most stringent guidelines set by the Federal Trade Commission. Every component of this product, down to the raw material sourced to manufacture each part, is sourced from the United States. This boot is crafted from top to bottom in our Portland, Oregon factory.

**Although, my best guess is not all Danner boots are made in the USA…

IMG_0147.jpeg

IMG_0148.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve been a Union Steamfitter my whole career and adult life. I’ve done my best to buy American, to include Redwing Boots. At some point I switched to Danner…

Now that I manage and supervise Industrial construction, and do not spend as much time in the field, I wear a lighter boot.

Construction Grade/Trade grade boots are expensive! A bit different than a hunting boot, but it shouldn’t diminish your personal goal of supporting the effort that is important to you. Especially if you can afford it…

I still wear Danner boots at times. The made in the USA ones. For both, work, and different types of hunting. I also wear other boot brands that fit my EEE foot comfortably…

From the Danner website:

Made in USA​

This classification of manufacturing is our promise that this product was built from top to bottom in our Portland, Ore. factory. Our USA Made boots are built with the same commitment to superior craftsmanship that we’ve been known for since 1932.

Made in USA / Berry Compliant​

Berry Compliant is a certification that meets or exceeds the most stringent guidelines set by the Federal Trade Commission. Every component of this product, down to the raw material sourced to manufacture each part, is sourced from the United States. This boot is crafted from top to bottom in our Portland, Oregon factory.

**Although, my best guess is not all Danner boots are made in the USA…

View attachment 569300
View attachment 569302
I really like Danner boots. They fit my feet well and require no break in for me, but I think you get what you pay for with everything. I’ve got 3 pairs of Danner boots, two are made in Vietnam and one in China. I think you have to search to find made in USA unfortunately and be willing to pay more (for quality).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HalinaRoug

Latest profile posts

A.A. wrote on Msprenger!'s profile.
Are you still looking for a 375 H&H?
NRA Life, ASSRA Life, GGCA Life
Sable @ the lodge this morning

Buffalo encounter this morning!

here with available dates for 2024/25