I am not sure who needs to see this...

Chicken prawn & sausage are my basic ingredients for Cajun gumbo, I don't shred the chicken, just chop it up and throw it in. I use Spanish chorizo sausage because of the stronger flavour and add a few cubes of smoked bacon to boost that up. For my version of Creole gumbo it's all seafood, no meat, as seafood is relatively cheap here in Australia, prawns, mussels, clams, scallops and a firm white fish like cod or shark. Adding a good sprinkling of red chili flakes warms it up. The one essential vegetable that is sometimes hard to get fresh in Oz is okra. When I go hunting or trout fishing during the winter I take frozen gumbo in my pack and by eats time it's thawed and ready to heat up over the fire.

The proper sausage for gumbo is Andouille. I can get it here in Houston, but the selection is usually a bit thin, so I just end up using regular Chappel Hill (local in Texas) pork or pork/venison sausage.

Some Cajuns swear that no self-respecting chef would ever use okra to thicken gumbo. Okra is so bad, they say, even hogs won't eat it. While that's true, hogs will also eat their own turds. I don't base my culinary habits off of what hogs eat. Those Cajuns say that the only proper thickener is gumbo filé powder (ground up sassafras leaves).

The chicken, I usually boil with an onion and a couple stalks of celery, plus Toney Chachere's seasoning. I reserve the broth and use it in the gumbo after the roux, onions, celery, and okra have been cooked down.

The proper sausage for gumbo is Andouille. I can get it here in Houston, but the selection is usually a bit thin, so I just end up using regular Chappel Hill (local in Texas) pork or pork/venison sausage.

Some Cajuns swear that no self-respecting chef would ever use okra to thicken gumbo. Okra is so bad, they say, even hogs won't eat it. While that's true, hogs will also eat their own turds. I don't base my culinary habits off of what hogs eat. Those Cajuns say that the only proper thickener is gumbo filé powder (ground up sassafras leaves).

The chicken, I usually boil with an onion and a couple stalks of celery, plus Toney Chachere's seasoning. I reserve the broth and use it in the gumbo after the roux, onions, celery, and okra have been cooked down.
I prefer jambalaya to gumbo. I guess if one was desperate they could swap cicadas for mud bugs

can't lie, I love me some jambalaya. but after a frosty evening hunt, nothing warms like some gumbo and Bourbon.

What do Cajuns know !. okra is the glue that thickens and binds gumbo. After being taught to live off the land by the local Indians, Cajuns weren't fussy about what went into the pot e.g. bits of ghar, alligator, herons, low-flying hang-glider pilots et al. Without the Indians they wouldn't have survived. I think we can be a bit liberal (if you'll excuse the term) with the ingredients. In Creole gumbo I add a half cup of cream at the last moment, how disrespectful is that !

Not so fast.......LOL.

A study by an insect control company stated, that the average person consumes 140,000 pieces of insect every year.
In parts of Africa, locals consume 140,000 pieces of locusts per minute when they are darkening the skies. Big hoppers are a great source of protein and I wouldn't hesitate to eat them, fried crispy and had as beer-time finger food as one poster wrote.

you'd have to dig any of the pre-adult stages out of the ground. adult is probably all we can really eat.
Yay, you can have my share.

can't lie, I love me some jambalaya. but after a frosty evening hunt, nothing warms like some gumbo and Bourbon.

I make my own seafood stock from simmering fish heads and prawn bodies. Will keep in the fridge for a few days. Lot of folk still don't know how to make a proper dark Cajun roux, no patience I think.

If the current administration has their way you'll either be on an insect diet or soylent green hamburgers (no wait, hamburgers are going to be banned as contributing to climate change).
Until some " indian hindu fascinated radical vegan ara" scream bloody murder of that its unlikely if even grass will be a viable option.

If the current administration has their way you'll either be on an insect diet or soylent green hamburgers (no wait, hamburgers are going to be banned as contributing to climate change).
well, since green soylent is "green", there shouldn't be any problems

Eat any meat sold in the meat market, without asking questions caused by reproaches of conscience, for "the land and everything in it belongs to the Lord." If an unbeliever invites you and you decide to go, eat whatever is put in front of you, without asking questions out of remorse. (1 Corinthians 10: 25-27)

I'm not allergic to shrimp and don't intend to eat a cicada but I am planning to road bike 5 miles this weekend. I'm still a little out of shape from the winter layup so I might accidentally eat one while biking, out of breath with my mouth draped open...

well, since green soylent is "green", there shouldn't be any problems
It 'aint the colour Vashper, it's the source material. Which reminds me of the movie Snowpiercer when the cattle class passengers found out the blocks of food they were issued with every day were made from bred insects like grasshoppers.

I'm not allergic to shrimp and don't intend to eat a cicada but I am planning to road bike 5 miles this weekend. I'm still a little out of shape from the winter layup so I might accidentally eat one while biking, out of breath with my mouth draped open...
Shades of a me myself and Irene motorcycle trip

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warpig602.0

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross