Hybrid Buffalo?

gi jane

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Greetings All!
This picture is a screen capture from that live safari project I always post about. I thought this buffalo looked almost Asian. This is from Sabi Sands, SA about a month ago. Any thoughts?

Screenshot (447).png

Last edited by a moderator:

Bsums

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Hunted
USA, Africa
It has the color of Afrikaner or N'Dama cattle. To me it doesn't look much like an Asian buffalo as the asian buffalo has a dark color similar to Cape Buffalo and the horns are angled back more without the curl like the cape buffalo. If it was a mix of the two I don't think it would give the orange color. I wonder if cattle and cape buffalo could successfully interbreed?

PHOENIX PHIL

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
I've seen pics of horns on cow Cape Buff's that were extraordinary, so the horns on this one don't surprise me too much. The brown color though has me puzzled. Big bellied cow, perhaps pregnant? Could pregnancy cause the hair to change color? I don't know, but I did know a female Labrador Retriever who would go completely bald when she was carrying a litter, strangest thing I've ever seen.

Mr. 16 gauge

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
. I wonder if cattle and cape buffalo could successfully interbreed?

I was wondering the same thing; American bison were bred to create the "beefalo", a hybrid that was considered because it was able to use poorer grazing areas......however, IIRC, they were sterile, so either this is something different or it's just fat! It does not look like an asian water buff to me; as Bsums stated, the horns on the asian buffs curl back more sharply. I'm thinking either this is a hybrid cow/buff, or a genetic mutation that gives it a reddish coat (we see that from time to time here......I got a squirrel running around in the neighborhood that looks "golden"; usually they are a reddish orange color, but this one almost looks like someone hit him with a can of spray paint!!)

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
Horns like that aren't that unusual. Suspect the color is just an issue with the late afternoon or early morning sun. Note the long shadows.

joester

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
No. Amer. Moose Foundation, Mule Deer Found; RMEF (life Member), SCI, NRA, RGS, NWTF, PF, DU, Izaac Walton League, Nat'l. Trappers Assoc.
Hunted
US / Canada/Namibia/Moz/Zim
Note the buff on right side of photo with horns curling up and back - also unusual...

Jono Joseph

AH veteran
Reaction score
Member of
PHASA , SA Hunters, SA Wingshooters, WRSA, SCI , DCS
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, Zambia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe
looks like a wide cow...how is the scrum cap on the animal next door it also looks like a cow.
Beauty and the beast...

Shot Shot

gi jane

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Horns like that aren't that unusual. Suspect the color is just an issue with the late afternoon or early morning sun. Note the long shadows.
Thanks, that's what I was thinking too but I took this pic from a live feed and as the cow moved, she still looked the same. Anyway, probably the light for sure. Thanks!!!

gi jane

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Thanks for the input all!!!! There's some amazing oddities on this drive sometimes. Always like to share with you..

siml

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
SOUTH AFRICA, BOTSWANA, NAMIBIA, ZIMBABWE, MOZAMBIQUE, ENGLAND, U.S.A
Gi, that is sure a mixed bag of buff, talking horn variations.

ChrisT

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
SCI, DSC, PHASA, DWWC
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe Mozambique, USA
looks like a wide cow...how is the scrum cap on the animal next door it also looks like a cow.
Beauty and the beast...

Shot Shot

They're both cows (that's if we're talking about the same two buffalo - which I suspect we do...)

If the sun hits them right - buffalo (especially younger ones and females) can appear to be red in colour. I suspect this is what happened in this photograph (angle of the camera vs angle of the sun).

No disrespect, but just as a matter of interest - the term "scrum cap" is usually reserved for old dagha boys with tips worn right down... Something like this:

Females with broken/worn horns are not normally referred to as "scrum caps" but it of course your prerogative to use whichever terminology you prefer.

Attachments

• image.jpg1_zpsoalpssud.jpg
    image.jpg1_zpsoalpssud.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 181

Jono Joseph

AH veteran
Reaction score
Member of
PHASA , SA Hunters, SA Wingshooters, WRSA, SCI , DCS
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, Zambia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe
I am sure a scrum cap can be perceived in many ways bulls or cows.
If you take it literally which i am sure was how the term was composed would be the scrum cap from rugby they have the same look a very close fit.
At least that is how i understand it about bulls and cows not sure?
Is this where it comes from ?

Shot Shot

Patrick R

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe, South Africa
I am NO Zambian, but they all seem like cow's...or bulls...don't know...all buffalo...:D:D

siml

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
SOUTH AFRICA, BOTSWANA, NAMIBIA, ZIMBABWE, MOZAMBIQUE, ENGLAND, U.S.A
@PHSC_Jono , yes the term comes from rugby, scrum cap. You also correct the scrum cap is a female, you can see the female look to her face, but no boss is the give away.

WildRose

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Website
www.texasquail.com
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
AKC, GSPCA, SCI, NRA
Hunted
Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, Oklahoma, Kansas, N/S Dakota, Montana, Idaho, Washington, Africa
The horns are not that unusual and red is just the product of a broken black color gene. It's the same way we get red Angus cattle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShelliBren

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Pondoro wrote on Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS's profile.
Hello...could you please pm me regarding what species available on this fly-camp offer....can cape buffalo be taken for instance..? Trophy prices..?
matt vejar wrote on kevin masters's profile.
Kevin,
Played rookie league for the Yankees in Paintsville after winning the College World Series at Fullerton State, in1979. All I could think about was the movie “Deliverance”- lived up in a hollow with some other players. Refused to go on a moonshine run because it was a dry county-no way. Met some of the nicest people on the planet there! Van Lear the home of Loretta Lynn was highlight of summer LOL.
Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.