Hunting SA or "Wild" Africa - Which is Better

One thing I have mentioned before is that if one is after DG (for example elephant) then trophy fees become pretty close to RSA and even cheaper. Here is what I paid last year at Zimbabwe and RSA trophy prices from the web site of one of the advertisers here. Also, I was at Nyakasanga which is more expensive.

Zimbabwe Pricing:
Buffalo - $6,500 ($5,500 at Dande)
Baboon - $90 ($60 at Dande)
Grysbuk $350 ($450 at Dande)
Hyena $750 ($550 at Dande)
Kudu $1,750 ($1200 at Dande)
Warthog $600 ($450 at Dande)
Zebra $1,500 ($1,250 at Dande)

Total Trophy fees in Zimbabwe: $11,540 deduct 2 animals not listed for RSA for comparison purposes: $10,440

RSA Trophy fees:
Buffalo from $9,500
Baboon $150
Grysbuk N/A
Hyena N/A
Kudu $2,800
Warthog $300
Zebra $1000

Trophy fees RSA: $13,750

Yes, if one adds the daily rates for Zimbabwe then Zim is more expensive however one is already at Zim for DG and paying those daily rates regardless. So, the PG is just an optional add on to the main course. I don't know that many guys that go to Zim just for PG except maybe for roan.

So, in my case hunting the PG listed above and the buffalo was not only better than RSA experience (totally wild area), but less expensive than doing the same hunt as a separate PG trip to RSA.
Time to try Mozambique I’m definitely more expensive ;) Seriously though Africa and Southern Africa is a big place and if you pay your due diligence there are good safaris to be had in.
MOZ
Zambia
Zim
Tanzania
RSA
Nam
Bots
The safari offerings and outfitters are just too vast to tar any country with one brush.
As to why go here or go there, I hunt with many clients that hunted throughout Africa some up to 38 safaris and they hunt with us in SA and MOZ.
Each to its own, in every country including ALL the ABOVE there are crappy areas and commercialized/dodgy operators.
That’s all there is to be said.
Live well, hunt hard.
Jaco

I'll remember to give you a call when the time comes. ;)

One thing I never checked for Mozambique is lion. How is lion hunting there?
The reserve has some good cats, good density but they are not super maned cats…... We get allocated one tag a season by the Reserve.
Buff, Leopard and plains game on unique species is exceptional.
My best always.

Last edited:
Time to try Mozambique I’m definitely more expensive ;) Seriously though Africa and Southern Africa is a big place and if you pay your due diligence there are good safaris to be had in.
MOZ
Zambia
Zim
Tanzania
RSA
Nam
Bots
The safari offerings and outfitters are just too vast to tar any country with one brush.
As to why go here or go there, I hunt with many clients that hunted throughout Africa some up to 38 safaris and they hunt with us in SA and MOZ.
Each to its own, in every country including ALL the ABOVE there are crappy areas and commercialized/dodgy operators.
That’s all there is to be said.
Live well, hunt hard.
Jaco

Thanx Jaco this thread needed your input and common sense.

After reading this thread I think I'm more confused than ever about what and where I'd like to hunt in Africa.

Start with: What do you want to hunt?

After reading this thread I think I'm more confused than ever about what and where I'd like to hunt in Africa.
No one can dictate your wants and needs.
It’s about personal preference and what you expect from your safari.
This encompasses all factors of a safari.
Including:
-Logistics, linked to remoteness
-Your available time frame
-Your main target species
-What your hunting party looks like, -is it you and your spouse?
-Is it you and your son?
-You flying solo?
-And without a doubt budget comes into play.
-Are you use to hunting white tail exotic ranches in Texas, Michigan etc.
-Are you a die hard Alaska, BC, mountain hunter.

You sir are the only one that can make this decision.
what I can say is there are terrible, unethical, commercialized outfitters in every country.
Whether this be South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique any of the countries mentioned in this thread.

Trick is to be honest with yourself and those you have discussions with and to tell them what you expect.
Best as always.

No one can dictate your wants and needs.
It’s about personal preference and what you expect from your safari.
This encompasses all factors of a safari.
Including:
-Logistics, linked to remoteness
-Your available time frame
-Your main target species
-What your hunting party looks like, -is it you and your spouse?
-Is it you and your son?
-You flying solo?
-And without a doubt budget comes into play.
-Are you use to hunting white tail exotic ranches in Texas, Michigan etc.
-Are you a die hard Alaska, BC, mountain hunter.

You sir are the only one that can make this decision.
what I can say is there are terrible, unethical, commercialized outfitters in every country.
Whether this be South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique any of the countries mentioned in this thread.

Trick is to be honest with yourself and those you have discussions with and to tell them what you expect.
Best as always.
Thanks for that reply.
What I am learning is that there are almost too many options.
Logistics - I'm hoping that the outfitter can take care of most things other than me getting there (my commercial airfare)...CITES, taxidermy arrangements, etc..

I'm retiring this year and will hunt Africa next year, 2024.
I don't have a schedule so, I would prefer to go whenever is considered ideal.
My main target would probably be Cape Buffalo and I would also like to hunt Zebra, Sable, Wildebeest, Impala and maybe a worthog or two.
I will most likely be alone.
The budget part is another thing I find confusing and intimidating. As I stated, I'm retiring and I feel that I can definitely "afford" the hunt. I'm just having a hard time calculating exactly what I should expect to pay.
Most of my hunting experience has been on my own farm and do it yourself whitetail hunts on public land. Some remote locations some not so remote. I've never hunted on a ranch. I'm in excellent physical shape and would almost prefer a physically demanding hunt.
One of the final things you mentioned worries me the most that "there are terrible, unethical, commercialized outfitters" . I hate thought that one of the most memorable experiences in my life could turnout to be a disaster.

Both are more gooder than the other.

I like RSA because I can get there easy the hunting is generally less expense, mostly Malaria free.

I like the adventure element of the other countries. Loved my hunt in the Kalahari in Namibia. Want to hunt Caprivi for Buffalo. Long to hunt Zimbabwe and Zambia for Buffalo. For some reason I am not dying to go to Mozambique even though I am sure it is great.

Am dying to go to Tanzania.

Not really a bad option. Just different options.

Last edited:
I hate thought that one of the most memorable experiences in my life could turnout to be a disaster.
I understand completely.

If you do your research, and look at that as part of the fun (much like getting the gear, picking the rifles, bullets, etc), it isn't really work. Check references, and check this site.

There are also plenty of great outfitters which are sponsors here and with which members have a great deal of experience. You could also contact, through the site, members who have hunted the countries you're looking at, or who have been to Africa many times. Over time, you begin to figure out the system and understand what sounds like a scam and what doesn't,, and most members are happy to share their experiences - it helps us to relive our own experiences!

The odds really are heavily in favour of you having the hunt of a lifetime.

Thanks for that reply.
Logistics - I'm hoping that the outfitter can take care of most things other than me getting there (my commercial airfare)...CITES, taxidermy arrangements, etc..

My main target would probably be Cape Buffalo and I would also like to hunt Zebra, Sable, Wildebeest, Impala and maybe a worthog or two.
The budget part is another thing I find confusing and intimidating. As I stated, I'm retiring and I feel that I can definitely "afford" the hunt. I'm just having a hard time calculating exactly what I should expect to pay.
Most of my hunting experience has been on my own farm and do it yourself whitetail hunts on public land. Some remote locations some not so remote. I've never hunted on a ranch. I'm in excellent physical shape and would almost prefer a physically demanding hunt.
One of the final things you mentioned worries me the most that "there are terrible, unethical, commercialized outfitters" . I hate thought that one of the most memorable experiences in my life could turnout to be a disaster.
We had the same concerns. If you read or hear enough bad news, you can end up locking yourself in a bunker. That is why we seldom watch or read anything but local news.

Talk to the well-respected outfitters on here. They earned their reputations and will be glad to help you out. Read the reports on here and reach out to the fine members here. That is what we have always done and it has worked out well for us. You only get one first safari.

Safe hunting

I understand completely.

If you do your research, and look at that as part of the fun (much like getting the gear, picking the rifles, bullets, etc), it isn't really work. Check references, and check this site.

There are also plenty of great outfitters which are sponsors here and with which members have a great deal of experience. You could also contact, through the site, members who have hunted the countries you're looking at, or who have been to Africa many times. Over time, you begin to figure out the system and understand what sounds like a scam and what doesn't,, and most members are happy to share their experiences - it helps us to relive our own experiences!

The odds really are heavily in favour of you having the hunt of a lifetime.
Odds are almost 100% that you will have a great trip if you book one of the Sponsors of this site.

An operator that flat out screwed you would get destroyed on this site and have to go in hiding and never show their face here or at SCI or DSC if they flat out treated a person booking with them badly.

I would book with any sponsor of this site without even talking to them except for the fact I would need to confirm they offer what I want to hunt and when I can/should go with them and to confirm that the lodging situation expectations are set so I know whether or not my wife would join me. Anything without flush toilets would mean I am doing a guys trip even though I prefer my wife's company.

But I would have almost 100% faith that a sponsor of this site would deliver what he/she promised to the best of their ability.

All that said...some things are just out of an outfitters control and you have to understand that.

Force Majeure is a real thing

I am not an expert on hunting in Africa as last year was my first time. A very good friend recommended Omujeve Safaris and I am glad he did. I had a great hunt and it was what I would call wild Africa. I hunted the Caprivi out of their Ivory camp. I took my first buffalo (hard horned) with large drops. I also took a fine Sable, zebra, Impala and spring buck. The food and wall tents were great. The four ph's were great. I am going back this July and plan on staying for 25 days. My only regret is i didn't start hunting Africa forty years ago when i was healthy.

Thanks for that reply.

That’s why you are doing your research. Keep reading and asking questions. Reach out to outfits. Reach out to members.

No matter what site outfitters are on or where you found out about them. DO YOUR DUE DILIGENCE. Not every company on this site or any other site would/should be considered honest because they are advertising and want your deposit. All are first and foremost a business, NOT your relative/friend/buddy. Until after your a repeat a booking.

Deciding and knowing what you want on and from safari long before planning makes it much easier to organise, plan and book.

As @KWALATA SAFARIS stated, honesty when booking is very good, honesty from outfitter is also a must. Verify, verify, verify every point of your safari long before any $$$ are sent.

That being said, any time on Safari even the worst is better than staying at home working. Being on Safari has made some of life's greatest memories. Just beware if reports sound too good to be true, fairies, unicorns and every thing perfect? These mostly come from outfitter references, I will spend more time talking to previous hunters from outfitters who are not a reference next time.

This site is a great wealth of info for investigation.

MB

Well, if trying to get all in ONE hunt I think you have to go to RSA or Tanzania (expensive) mainly due to Wildebeest. In Zim the only place I have seen wildebeest has been at Hwange National Park, I think they have been hunted out everywhere else. Not sure about Mozambique maybe @KWALATA SAFARIS can pipe in regard to that.

Now, one thing you can do is do an RSA hunt for the PG and then fly to Zim for your wild buffalo. Get it done in two weeks or slightly more. Logistics is easy. There are Zim outfitters that advertise here for reasonable costs for buffalo.

Well, if trying to get all in ONE hunt I think you have to go to RSA or Tanzania (expensive) mainly due to Wildebeest. In Zim the only place I have seen wildebeest has been at Hwange National Park, I think they have been hunted out everywhere else. Not sure about Mozambique maybe @KWALATA SAFARIS can pipe in regard to that.

Now, one thing you can do is do an RSA hunt for the PG and then fly to Zim for your wild buffalo. Get it done in two weeks or slightly more. Logistics is easy. There are Zim outfitters that advertise here for reasonable costs for buffalo.
In Zimbabwe all those species would be available in bubye valley conservancy or the Caprivi in Namibia as well.

The Wildebeest wouldn't be a deal breaker...I guess I just assumed they were plentiful. They seem lower on the list as far as trophy prices.

I hunted buffalo last summer. My first dream was to hunt the "wild" Africa. After looking at various opportunity, I realised I just did not have the money for a hunt in Zambia, for example. So I made a 180 and turn back my view to SA. I went with Ken Moody Safaris in SA. I did shot a buffalo. A really good bull that was NOT where it was supposed to be and who knows where he was going. My point is, is it considered "wild" when the buffalo is on the wrong side of the fence? ;)

While there, I also hunted a Blue Wildebeest, a Zebra and two Impala Rams. We also spent 4 days going after Elands but in the end I did not connect with an Eland, I just got a glimpse of one at 420 yards. All these animal were "wild" by any aspect.

Compared to any other hunt in the world, SA is probably the cheapest destination an average Joe like me can afford to hunt outside my province and have a good chance to don't come back empty handed.

@Duke1966

Working up a spreadsheet is a huge help. Add things as you think of them.

At a minimum you need:
Daily fees
Trophy fees +add several animals not in your original budget (amhik)
PH tip at ~10% (10% of what, you say - see related thread for 0.1% clarity)
Additional tips for tracker(s), skinners and staff
Airline cost (busness vs cattle car class)
Taxidermy or dip and pack in country + US Taxidermy
Shipping cost of finished Taxi or dip and pack to US
Ground freight after animals arrive in US
Cost of US import agent

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stitchcart

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg