Hunting Opportunities in the Caribbean?

Daktari

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Hunted
US: FL, ME
Hello what hunting opportunities are you aware of in the Caribbean of any bird species or small game? From my research I've found:
- Iguana on various islands.
- Possum in Saint Vincent.

I spent 2018 and 2019 Christmas in Puerto Rico and a smaller island Culebra. I tried to book an iguana hunt but called too late. It looks like an interesting experience while in the islands! There are a couple iguana hunting groups. If you check on line and call them, I bet they will know of other options.
There are whitetail deer on Culebra, but I don’t know if they are huntable.

Mona Island has a feral goat and pig season, I've not been but read an article about it.

I've done the iguana hunt in Puerto Rico. Had a blast. We killed about 50 in 4 hours.
It's more of just a walk and shoot with air rifles though

IMG_20180303_095650937.jpg

Anyone aware of opportunities not yet mentioned?

Cuba for birds and rabbits.

Isn’t there hunts for oscillated turkeys and a few other things in the Yucutan area of Mexico?

We’ve considered a combo iguana and fishing package in Puerto Rico... very affordable.. and a few days on the island in late winter would be a nice break from the cold...

I took pictures of red billed pintails on the beach on on St Thomas. Don’t know about hunting tho. Check with getducks.com maybe they have some information that you can use

Last edited:
I lived in Jamaica for a couple of years, They have some great wingshooting and many Jamaicans are bird shooters. There are 5 or 6 species of doves/pigeons. BUT, there are no outfitting operations - you have to know someone who is a member of a 'shoot' (club) that has rights to shoot on private ground. Firearms restrictions are typical of a former British colony - very tight.

Cuba has some very good dove/pigeon shooting and bobwhite quail. There are outfitters who can get you into birds. I cannot recommend anyone in particular since it has been a number of years since I was involved with the sporting scene in the Caribbean.

It is the other, other, other white meat. :) I was born in Nicaragua, and we hunted them when I was a kid. You'll never know you are eating iguana, it is very mild in flavor and does look like shredded chicken breast. Iguana soup is very good also to get your energy back and to help you get rid of a bad cold/hang over. :)

Too bad you didn't get any of the meat. I wonder if there would be issues importing it into the US?

PR is part of the US (a territory) but it may have tight restrictions for export/import like Hawaii does.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg