HUNTING Gemsbok

Shot gemsbok at 250 yds w/ 375 H&H, 250 grn Hornady GMX. Shot at an angle in the crease, angling toward the opposite shoulder, with exit through the shoulder. The gemsbok ran a few yards up hill, staggered back down and fell. The 250 grn Hornady is really a hard hitting, flat shooting round.

Yes, the .375 is a hard hitting, flat shooting round.:D

Looking through my log, I have shot 20 Oryx...all in Namibia.

Ranges from 80 - 270 meters, all animals shot with .375H&H. Bullets used was 270 grain Rem. core locked, 260 grain Nosler Accubond and 235 grain Barnes X, all performed well..

I also used 250 grain Trophy Bonded on a couple of animals (also on blue wildebeest..) , very dissapointed, the bullets expanded to early and did too little damage ...premium bullet my ass..!

270 grain Remington factory work very well on Oryx....they expand nicely and normally rest against the skin on the far side of the animal..

Best bullet performance..? I am torn between the 260 Nosler and 235 Barnes X...both are exemplary..

Barnes Vortex performed very well for me and my buddy (300 Win Mag & 338 Win Mag on large plains game). Well placed shots on animals resulted in tracking of a few feet to ~ 75 yards. We recovered one of my buddy's bullets from an eland from under the skin opposite shoulder. Perfectly mushroomed - looked like the picture on the box.

IMG_1832.JPG
IMG_3440.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
image.jpg

Shot this guy with a 300 win mag at just 100 yards. Used Winchester Ballistic Silver Tips 180 grain rounds. One shot in the middle of the chest and he sat down on his ass before getting up and running just a few yards and falling over.

took this guy last October at 65 yards with Federal Premium 300 Win Mag 180 grain Nosler Partition. We did not know at the time but the back lower right leg had a compound fracture and gangrene had set in. He just stood there and I hit him in the left shoulder, he turned and fell where he was standing. Both of his back quarters were wasted away.

Attachments

• IMG_0405.JPG
    7.8 MB · Views: 230
MD you didn't have to track him and you did him a favor!

I've taken one bull and one cow each of gemsbok "on license" or however you say it plus, one gimpy bull culled, all three in Namibia, 13 or 14 years ago.

These I shot with a '98 Mauser in .300 H&H / 180 grain Nosler Partition, at just a little over 2800 feet per second - extremely accurate.

The cull shot was a bit over 400 meters/yards, according to the PH's Leica range finding binoculars.

He was facing us and my bullet struck at the juncture of throat and brisket, he dropped to the shot and was quite finished before we got to him.

The other two were somewhat closer, but at this stage, I do not recall their specific distances.

That culled bull was one of the very few spent projectiles that I was able to recover on that hunting trip, as most of the others passed clear through most animals / species I shot.

This cartridge and bullet combination worked so well for me that, I would merrily use same again for gemsbok and / or similar sized game in any open areas, where somewhat longer shots are common.

And although I would prefer a bit more bullet weight if I was hunting 2,000 pound eland, nonetheless I wouldn't be too surprised if this combination can cleanly bag an eland (of course presuming proper shot placement).

The .300 H&H is usually over-looked by hunters today, but this is a mistake, as it seems to have that strange property of remaining accurate, almost no matter what you feed it (the .222 Remington is another one like that IMO).

The original H&H version feeds and ejects smoothly, due to it's slow tapered shape and burns less powder than the other .30 magnums.

The others (various "younger" .300 Magnums) that followed it's introduction (1920 ?) don't make anything "more dead", they just kick harder and make more noise.

El Finito:
Admittedly, the Swift A-Frame is a tougher bullet than the Noslers are and, I believe it (A-Frame) is the best of the best premium softs however, the good old Nosler Partition is still a very fine "Plains game" bullet, one of the better choices, even after all these years.

Last edited:
I've taken one bull and one cow each of gemsbok "on license" or however you say it plus, one gimpy bull culled, all three in Namibia, 13 or 14 years ago.

These I shot with a '98 Mauser in .300 H&H / 180 grain Nosler Partition, at just a little over 2800 feet per second - extremely accurate.

The cull shot was a bit over 400 meters/yards, according to the PH's Leica range finding binoculars.

He was facing us and my bullet struck at the juncture of throat and brisket, he dropped to the shot and was quite finished before we got to him.

The other two were somewhat closer, but at this stage, I do not recall their specific distances.

That culled bull was one of the very few spent projectiles that I was able to recover on that hunting trip, as most of the others passed clear through most animals / species I shot.

This cartridge and bullet combination worked so well for me that, I would merrily use same again for gemsbok and / or similar sized game in any open areas, where somewhat longer shots are common.

And although I would prefer a bit more bullet weight if I was hunting 2,000 pound eland, nonetheless I wouldn't be too surprised if this combination can cleanly bag an eland (of course presuming proper shot placement).

The .300 H&H is usually over-looked by hunters today, but this is a mistake, as it seems to have that strange property of remaining accurate, almost no matter what you feed it (the .222 Remington is another one like that IMO).

The original H&H version feeds and ejects smoothly, due to it's slow tapered shape and burns less powder than the other .30 magnums.

The others (various "younger" .300 Magnums) that followed it's introduction (1920 ?) don't make anything "more dead", they just kick harder and make more noise.

El Finito:
Admittedly, the Swift A-Frame is a tougher bullet than the Noslers are and, I believe it (A-Frame) is the best of the best premium softs however, the good old Nosler Partition is still a very fine "Plains game" bullet, one of the better choices, even after all these years.
The 300 H&H is a great caliber. I would use it for Eland Paul, I just go to a 200 grain Swift A-frame bullet and I think it would be lights out buddy .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg