Hunting dogs

My GSP X Springer spaniel pup. I'm so excited to start training her for blood ! She's only 7 weeks old and super intelligent
Both her mom and dad are excellent hunting dogs so I'm excited to see how she'll perform in the field

View attachment 464887View attachment 464888

Beautiful little girl, Caitlin. Love her eyes.

Was the GSP/Springer cross an accidental or intentional breeding?

We are a spoiled Llewelyn Setter family. 3 year old Rusty is my current birder. Duke in the middle passed last November at 14. Best dog I have ever known . It was a privilege to have known him . The far right is my sons dog Rowdy. Pure spoiled rotten bed warmer.View attachment 464834Rusty is also learning the finer points of beer drinking in the off season!

2393493845772052478.jpg

Beautiful little girl, Caitlin. Love her eyes.

Was the GSP/Springer cross an accidental or intentional breeding?
we always wanted to breed the mother and father and we consulted our veterinarian before doing so. they were both such excellent hunters and both super intelligent. Some of my fathers polish clients had this cross breed and they are just such beautiful dogs. They have the GSP coat and size but the beautiful fluffy springer ears.

Here is a pic of my hunting companion, she has to always be right by my side everywhere I go and hates to be left at home. But she is a hunting fool, loves to find birds! Although she is 9 years old now and starting to slow down.

View attachment 464187

Heartbroken this week to report that my best hunting buddy Maggie passed away unexpectedly this past week from a ruptured spleen due to hemangiosarcoma. Had never heard of this cancer which is the most common form of cancer in larger dog breeds and dogs between 9-12 years of age. It is a very aggressive cancer mostly striking blood rich areas like the heart and spleen. Only way to diagnose it is thru imaging until it ruptures causing massive internal bleeding and a very poor prognosis by that point. Fortunately it isn’t associated with pain and she seemed good until the very end. Hope none you all ever have to see this horrible illness hit your hunting buddies.
IMG_0778.JPG

Oh my, I’m so sorry for your loss. These dogs are not they are part of our family. I feel your pain. Cherris the great memories.

Very sorry to hear that Pat. I hope you are able to find a pup deserving of the spot she has left.

Coincidentally, my GSP is named Maggie as well. Here is a pic of her locked up solid on a woodcock during the last week of our quail season.

Image1678154703.399206.jpg

She is doing well, she is probably teaching me more than I'm teaching her. She absolutely loves to hunt, if you pick up a long gun she is at full attention ready to do work. She is a cross between a GSP and a GWP. We have been very impressed with her and the people that bought her litter mates have been just as pleased.

Screenshot_20230306_223440_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230306_223405_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230306_223336_Gallery.jpg

Heartbroken this week to report that my best hunting buddy Maggie passed away unexpectedly this past week from a ruptured spleen due to hemangiosarcoma. Had never heard of this cancer which is the most common form of cancer in larger dog breeds and dogs between 9-12 years of age. It is a very aggressive cancer mostly striking blood rich areas like the heart and spleen. Only way to diagnose it is thru imaging until it ruptures causing massive internal bleeding and a very poor prognosis by that point. Fortunately it isn’t associated with pain and she seemed good until the very end. Hope none you all ever have to see this horrible illness hit your hunting buddies.View attachment 521168
Sorry to hear that news. Adog is a special friend.

Our new arrival, Hugo the Magnificent. At this stage no indication that he will hunt anything more than biscuits.
Sorry for your loss pat.

KP - My GSP opened and polished off an entire pack of biscuits (aka 'cookies') while I was out of the car for about 1 minute last week (n)

Sitting on the back seat as though nothing had happened.

...She absolutely loves to hunt, if you pick up a long gun she is at full attention ready to do work. ...

I heard of an Elkhound that is terrified of thunder and fireworks - but loves gunshot. Gunshot means "we got our prey".

(The main purpose of an Elkhound is to find a Moose, and hold it at bay until the hunter(s) arrives.)

I heard of an Elkhound that is terrified of thunder and fireworks - but loves gunshot. Gunshot means "we got our prey".

(The main purpose of an Elkhound is to find a Moose, and hold it at bay until the hunter(s) arrives.)

My Yellow Lab Savannah was like that. Hated thunder and fireworks, but loved the sound of gunshot. :ROFLMAO:

This is a great pod cast series on different types of hunting dogs.

By the look on his face, Tono wants his name on the back of that shirt :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

3D65D1BE-13F7-4584-80DF-5C2C91D040F8.jpeg
I’ll say simply, dogs are the best. We’re lab people because I’ve always hunted waterfowl and they’re pets 95% of the time and are awesome family dogs. She’s hunted dove, ducks, pheasant and quail and of course food scraps (which we do NOT allow but labs soooo food motivated).
4A4EE765-9F4B-433F-8961-1BA38B962C16.jpeg

6FE41028-4841-416F-BB96-7CDBD4EB9CCD.jpeg

Here’s a couple of pictures of my old Chesapeakes. The one with the goose was everything you hear about cheesiest, mean as hell, tough but loyal. He had a couple thousand retrieves. The one with the brant who’s name is Brandt shot in New Jersey was a loyal protective but sweet dog and roughly 5000 retrieves. He was fortunate to come along with liberal duck and goose limits and we took full advantage of it.

ACBBF63A-48F2-46A9-9590-2C682108158D.jpeg
7A6AC1D7-0468-49A6-B520-57E1367A08BF.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JannEarle

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois