HUNTING Bushpig

Bsto270

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Love this section of the website. Have been pouring over placement on Bushpig and some others. Was wondering if anyone had or could whip up a diagram on some of the species not on here (or could give some insight, as I still don't have a copy of The Perfect Shot) and or give some advice or experience on this? -

Thanks as always!

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, that went above and beyond. Thank you I didn't realize the heart hung as low and far forward as it does. Do they have the shoulder shield I hear so much written about on hogs in the US?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would take a shoulder shot every time on a bushpig.

Wow, that went above and beyond. Thank you I didn't realize the heart hung as low and far forward as it does. Do they have the shoulder shield I hear so much written about on hogs in the US?

I did not notice any type of armour/shield on the Bushpig.
I think a shot into the triangle on the shoulder will do the job every last time. Bow or Rifle.

I brained mine because he was facing toward and uphill with too much company surrounding him. It was effective. :)

Brandon I wish I could help you with this one but I have never put the crosshairs on one yet. :( I have seen them and heard them all around me but no shots. I would say shot them as any other pig though. I was going to an still will one day be taking a shot at one right in the shoulder.

I hope you get one when over on your trip.

I outlined the Elbow and the points of the shoulder.

This photo has the pig facing ever so slightly away and leaning a little forward. I might pull the shot slightly back of the red dot. But, still in the triangle.
High heart lung is always my preferred shot.

MDGC0053.jpg

Last edited:
Love this section of the website. Have been pouring over placement on Bushpig and some others. Was wondering if anyone had or could whip up a diagram on some of the species not on here (or could give some insight, as I still don't have a copy of The Perfect Shot) and or give some advice or experience on this? -

Thanks as always!

Shooting a bushpig looks easy when you are looking at a camera shot, and you have all the time in the world to plan where you'd have put a shot on that particular pig, at that particular time.

The reality of bushpigs is much different.

You will most likely be hunting them at night, likely from a blind near bait, or some existing food source. Once you are ready to shoot, you will likely get a very short time to take the shot - a few seconds at most - and you will have to make do with whatever shot you're presented with.

Like @BRICKBURN, I shot two in the head, just because that's the shot they gave me when the light went on. I was using a .375 H&H, and I don't think I was over-gunned, although I'm (almost) sure that a .300 would have had the same effect.

You might get lucky, but I would say this can be one of the tougher prizes to try for. And one of the tastier ones as well.

The guy I hunted hog with in Florida prefers the base of the ear/brain shot if you have a solid comfortable rest. Otherwise, he said the shoulder shot as shown above was good.

Brandon I wish I could help you with this one but I have never put the crosshairs on one yet. :( I have seen them and heard them all around me but no shots. I would say shot them as any other pig though. I was going to an still will one day be taking a shot at one right in the shoulder.

I am thinking Bill that the shoulder is gonna be the ticket, especially considering I want a nice toothy skull mount for the wall, hopefully sans bullet holes. However, if that's all I get, I take it, back up, and go for a shoulder mount!

I don't eat any of the pigs from our place. I know what we feed them......

yup the horrible stench from the bait convinced me I'd have to be starving before I ate one

Bill one of these trips Pieter will get you on one!

I don't eat any of the pigs from our place. I know what we feed them......
I can vouch for that statement! That's what Marius said when I asked "can we eat him?" Yes the stench from the gut pile he was munching on was horrible but I was still wanting to try a bite or two. I was lucky enough to shoot mine right between the shoulders from an elevated blind........he just pancaked, no tracking required.

yup the horrible stench from the bait convinced me I'd have to be starving before I ate one
Funny. We just used corn . . . fermenting a bit maybe, but still just corn!

I can vouch for that statement! That's what Marius said when I asked "can we eat him?" Yes the stench from the gut pile he was munching on was horrible but I was still wanting to try a bite or two. I was lucky enough to shoot mine right between the shoulders from an elevated blind........he just pancaked, no tracking required.

Yup, and you shot 3 Bushpigs in a 10 day safari with me. Not many hunters pull that one off. ;)(y):D

@Sand Rat , Robert, we have a big boar on bait again at the moment. When we take him, it will be the 7th Boar this year on our bait.
This one is a smart one. He is a big boar like the one that you took with me. I watched him from the blind about a week ago, and seen his tricks.

Going to try and outsmart him in 3 weeks time with a hunter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg