HUNTING Buffalo

Caitlin, my apologies for the flippant reply. The response above is correct. A buffalo’s vitals are further forward than what NA hunters are used to. As mentioned, Kevin Robertson’s work is the best guide for shot placement on buffalo I have found.

As Kevin Robertson has wrote in detail, you want your shot to be in the center of the vital triangle. Idealy you want to shoot the top of the heart , severing any artery’s as well as passing through both lungs. To achieve this shot on a full broad side , you place your shot on the shoulder.
In my opinion, from all of my reading and research, a shot behind the shoulder on a buffalo can decrease your room for error, not increase it. A one lung shot buffalo is recipe for disaster. That said, anyone is open to correct me on my statements , I’m not an experienced buffalo hunter what so ever.
wow okay thank you so much

Caitlin, my apologies for the flippant reply. The response above is correct. A buffalo’s vitals are further forward than what NA hunters are used to. As mentioned, Kevin Robertson’s work is the best guide for shot placement on buffalo I have found.
thank you for the help! i will definitely give it a read

Side on is better as you are likely to take heart and both lungs with a decent shot. 10-12 inches diameter for the lungs and about 6 inches for the heart. Front on is more challenging because you can get heart with no lungs if dead centre or one lung and no heart if you are off centre.

For me, the key is to pick an aim point-talking of area is a bit misleading. You need to get the upper heart aim point in your mind and aim for that. Then there is a margin for error around that. And a single lung shot can result in a long follow up and even loss of an animal. Upper heart (which will usually include a lung or two and maybe shoulder bone if quartering or side on) will put the animal down quick.

Zimbabwean PH's are tested at 75 m with a 7" gong off sticks or a tree rest-two shots to count towards their final score, other tests obviously included. It requires that you know your rifle and your sights a lot more than a scope.
This is correct. Aim for the TOP of the heart, not the heart, not the middle of the heart. In fact, I would advise aiming for the junction between the top of the heart and the great vessels, which is really splitting hairs.

Margin of error is the key to success. Try to make every shot perfect and realize that errors will happen. If you aim for the heart, you've got minimal margin of error on the low side. If you aim for the top of the heart, you've got a good margin of error all around.

This is correct. Aim for the TOP of the heart, not the heart, not the middle of the heart. In fact, I would advise aiming for the junction between the top of the heart and the great vessels, which is really splitting hairs.

Margin of error is the key to success. Try to make every shot perfect and realize that errors will happen. If you aim for the heart, you've got minimal margin of error on the low side. If you aim for the top of the heart, you've got a good margin of error all around.
As to original question- yes, IMO most are pretty anatomically accurate.

And yep ^^ exactly, allowing for the greatest margin for error... that's what I do. Geographic center of largest vital area. Visualize in 3D how to get a bullet there from any direction. That means using a caliber and bullet capable of doing that... as every field angle will be different and some will not be ideal, especially after the first shot. Here's the ideal broadside angle showing (yellow X) where I try to put a bullet on most game for the "geographic" center of the heart/lung vital area. And there is another similar thread on the Forum covering the same ground.

buffalo_shot_placement.jpg

Last edited:
Neck vertebrae on this buff is all wrong....it dips down to the point of the shoulder, much lower than indicated........

Yes, definitely dips down a little farther than what shows on transparency as it passes between shoulders. Driving a bullet along and through a group of neck vertebrae of a heavy animal can test a bullet’s toughness on certain frontal shot angles. Same consideration applies to eland. Just part of what can make frontal shot angles challenging and problematic. :)

I think this is close to the correction @IvW is referring to. (Red lines)

buffalo_shot_placement.jpg

I was under the impression that most African PHs suggest a shot on the shoulder when a full broadside shot is presented on buffalo, not above or behind it.
Interesting statement- I have been told all three and if you ask the guys to point, they all point to the same spot.

Confusing but where exactly is the shoulder as you understand it ? Is it the big muscle mass- that is your on the shoulder description. Is it the shoulder joint-Then behind the shoulder is the correct description for exactly the same spot. And then the most confusing- above the shoulder is actually above the elbow ! The person explaining knows exactly where he is indicating but you may have a different idea altogether. Lastly-The vital triangle is formed by the scapula, shoulder joint and 'elbow' of the buffalo. Again it indicates the same aim point. I think pictures and pointing probably solve this problem.

With any game animal, top of the heart shots when the arrow/bullet pierced both lungs and severe major arteries always resulted in a dead animal in 50 yards or less. I once shot a deer with my bow, only 2-3 inches behind where I would have normally shot it because of a tree limb. I tracked this deer for over 150 yards.

I’m a firm believer in shot placement and proper bullet selection.

I’ve never shot a buffalo but I’ve shot a few moose with precisely placed tiny .277 150 grains Speer Grand Slam bullets. Dead moose. Last one took 4 steps. I’ve shot moose with 270 Win to 338 Win Mag. Never saw a difference in terminal performance. Except that a 250 grains 338 bullet have a better chance to exit, resulting in a better blood Trail.

Forget foot pounds, it’s the bullet and where you put it. ;)

That’s what I’ll keep in mind for my first buffalo hunt in june 2022.

I’ll use a 375 because it’s the minimum legal caliber. But I’m 100% sure my 338 WinMag loaded with 250 grains TSX would also kill a buffalo.

It's hard to use an overkill caliber, ammo or too much care for such as buffalo. Not every first shot is going to be the perfectly posed broadside as seen in diagrams exposing the heart/lung area without inconvenient interference from shoulders, rumen or that most deceptive shot... the frontal shot at a slight angle. A percentage of the time, yes, all the stars and planets will line up and you'll have the ideal broadside first shot at 40-50 yards with a still animal and a good steady rest. But even then, after that first shot, angles will become most unpredictable, far from ideal with all manner of complications- like a running animal, shooting off hand, rear angles, intermittent brush, other animals interfering with clear shots, etc., etc.

Yes, that why we must use a bullet that stay together and penetrate deeply to get to the top of the heart area when these less than perfect broadside shot I.e. quartering toward or away.

Foot pounds will never compensate for proper shot placement. Remember that a lot wounds and lost deers with their 300 « anykind of magnums » rifles.

Any animal will die from a shot that, for example, will go through the liver and one lungs, or by a shot at the rear of the lungs. But prepare for a longer than normal tracking job. Take a rest, brew some coffee and let the animal stiffen a little bit.

Reactions: IvW
I shot this buffalo in the chest with a .375 and the bullet followed the breast bone and exited. It had to be tracked to finish it off. Bullet did not penetrate. I have a .416 Rigby caliber now.

I always advise hunters to shoot/aim in the middle of the vital zone. By aiming for the heart you narrow down your margin for error.

On frontals (not my favorite) I ask hunters to aim 4” below the chin (on normal posture) most hunters tend to shoot extremely low.

Buffalo can suck up a bunch of lead and or even brass shot placement is critical. I would not use anything smaller in terms of caliber but that is just me.

My personal top pick for buff is a 416 (for a hunter) there are larger and smaller calibers that work well though.
My personal carry stoppers would be 500 Jeffrey, 460 Weatherby, 458 Lott, 450, 470 etc something that pushes a minimum 500 grain round down range with correct placement these calibers stop a freight train.

Love the post all be it that I’m late to the party have been hunting buff for 3 months ;-)

My best.

Get the bullet to/through the center of the hear-lung area, generally near the top of the heart. That area has lots of protection from most frontal angles. Any frontal especially calls for the best bullet and adequate caliber. This pic shows entrance hole to get there on a buff at est. 30- 45 degree facing angle. The frontal angles call for exact bullet placement and using enough gun and best bullet. This at about 40 yards, 416 Rem Mag, North Fork CPS. Broke right shoulder/leg, through vitals and recovered near last rib under skin left side

Dagga boy BVC 2 3.jpg

IMG_3574.JPG

Hi Velo Dog . Theres nothing wrong with a frontal shot on a buffalo. I prefer the broadside shot , but its only personal preference and because of one or two bad experiences early on in my career ( early 90's ) with dodgy RWS bullets. No reason not to take a full frontal shot with an adequate calibre loaded with good quality bullets. The DGX's don't work well for me in my 500 NE. They tend to break up , especially when hitting big bones. I now use hand loaded CEB's . A friend of mine loads Rhino soft nose bullets with great success and Dzombo solids in his 500 NE.
You took a beautiful buffalo. Congratulations.
The frontal shot is extremely effective if properly executed, as in saying it is not for everyone other than the more experienced. If the shot rises above the intended POI, it is all good as the bullet is still headed for the boiler room, but not so if it drops and rakes through the brisket area where there are no vitals.

Biggest problem with full frontal is when the shot is pulled left or right.
Also an issue if using a smaller caliber at high velocity eg. 375 H&H with a soft....

If however correctly executed with a proper bullet and adequite caliber it is deadly.....not the ideal shot for the inexperienced

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg