AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
Lifetime NRA member, Lifetime SCI Member
I recently purchased two pair of Danner hiking boots. The first is the South rim hiking shoe, the second is a full leather Mountain 600. Given the varying terrain of Namibia and South Africa, how do you think a non leather boot like the south rim would work?

image.jpg

I’ve worn merrell hiking boots that look very similar they work fine. I would be more concerned about the tread than the boot material. A lot of the boots made for hunting in USA have soft treads that thorns in Africa go through really easy.

Good deal! I’m glad you have experience with something similar. That’s definitely reassuring.

These are super comfortable but the leather 600s have a sole that is more stiff, less comfortable. I’ll take them as back up boots.

I’ve worn merrell hiking boots that look very similar they work fine. I would be more concerned about the tread than the boot material. A lot of the boots made for hunting in USA have soft treads that thorns in Africa go through really easy.
Exactly correct. You have not truly lived until you try to extract your foot from a boot with a quarter of an inch of acacia thorn driven into it through your boot sole.

Another thing to watch is that some of the material used on light hikers can be a grass seed magnet. The seeds act like needles and will work their way through the upper material and can really irritate your ankles and upper foot. Gaiters will help, but the softer boot fabrics just suck up seeds.

The Danner material looks like it might shed them.

I'd be OK with them. Tread doesn't look too hard so it should be reasonably quiet and canvas uppers keep them from being too hot. I'd track down some canvas gaiters to help keep debris out of them. They're a neccessity to me, I have a habit of getting rocks,twigs and seeds in my boot without them. Boyt makes some canvas ones.

Exactly correct. You have not truly lived until you try to extract your foot from a boot with a quarter of an inch of acacia thorn driven into it through your boot sole.

Another thing to watch is that some of the material used on light hikers can be a grass seed magnet. The seeds act like needles and will work their way through the upper material and can really irritate your ankles and upper foot. Gaiters will help, but the softer boot fabrics just suck up seeds.

The Danner material looks like it might shed them.
I can honestly say I have not lived then! Im not sure I want to check that off the list of things done.... On a scale of 1-10, how bad does that hurt?
image.jpg

image.jpg

Ironically the soles are the same and I can Indent it with my thumb which may not be good...

I’ll be sure to check those out. I have To get my wife gaiters as well.

I'd be OK with them. Tread doesn't look too hard so it should be reasonably quiet and canvas uppers keep them from being too hot. I'd track down some canvas gaiters to help keep debris out of them. They're a neccessity to me, I have a habit of getting rocks,twigs and seeds in my boot without them. Boyt makes some canvas ones.
Ordered two pair from Boyt. Can’t beat that $ at $16. Thanks!

I’ll be sure to check those out. I have To get my wife gaiters as well.
Try to find gaiters without zippers, zippers break and also get seeds in them. I have one leather pair that just slides over my ankles then I slide them down over boots. I have another leather pair with good buttons.
I haven’t had too much problems with merrell hiking boots in Africa, nothing penetrated to my foot, but I tried using them for an axis deer hunt in Sonora, Texas. I lasted an hour and put on my ariat work boots. They held up much better to the cactus thorns.

Try to find gaiters without zippers, zippers break and also get seeds in them. I have one leather pair that just slides over my ankles then I slide them down over boots. I have another leather pair with good buttons.
I haven’t had too much problems with merrell hiking boots in Africa, nothing penetrated to my foot, but I tried using them for an axis deer hunt in Sonora, Texas. I lasted an hour and put on my ariat work boots. They held up much better to the cactus thorns.
I ordered the Boyt which are just elastic. Appears that it’s a slip on.

Glad you had good luck with the Merrels. Maybe my Danners will work then.

Reactions: WAB
I agree with 375Fox. I wore Kenetrek hiking boots on two SA safaris. Only once did I have a thorn that went all the way through the sole. I stopped and mentioned it to my PH who pulled a multi-purpose knife with pliers attachment out of his pocket and pulled the thorn out. We continued hunting.

I’m typically hunting buffalo which requires a lot of walking but then a very quiet stalk. I find my Merrell’s great for walking but the hard sole is difficult for me to be quiet in. I find my Courteney‘s perfect for that application but not great in the mountains.

I’m typically hunting buffalo which requires a lot of walking but then a very quiet stalk. I find my Merrell’s great for walking but the hard sole is difficult for me to be quiet in. I find my Courteney‘s perfect for that application but not great in the mountains.
I won’t be hunting buffalo on this trip but I don’t want a heavy or loud boot.

The Courtney’s are super nice but it’s hard to spend $400 on boots without trying them on.

I won’t be hunting buffalo on this trip but I don’t want a heavy or loud boot.

The Courtney’s are super nice but it’s hard to spend $400 on boots without trying them on.
If you deal with @African Sporting Creations, they will work with you until you get the correct fit. They are outstanding to deal with.

Every PH I have ever asked about footwear have all recommended a complete leather boot or shoe and recommended that I avoid mesh uppers. I mannage construction for a living and live in Red Wing boots so thats what a wore in Africa. I would not recommend steel toe work boots as your go to "African Boot" but I never worried about ankle support or seeds / thorns in my feet. As I start to think more and more about a DG hunt my choice of footware needs to be a lot lighter than my Red Wings. Currently I am trying a pair of MAC-V1s from GoRuck, all leather lowers with canvas uppers and yes they are high tech jungle boots made for long distance trecking. So far they have been great boots for warm and mild weather on the deer property hopefully they will go to Africa soon.

I wore Meindls that kept the thorns out, they went up enough over my ankle that all the little thorns didn't drop in. My pants went over the boots. Ph had gaiters and wore shorts. My skin and clothes were bloodies and torn, he didn't have a scratch.

Wouldn't trade the experience for anything! I found the wait a minute thorns that looked like fish hooks and I swear were sharper to be more troublesome when trying to slip silently though the brush. Had to reach back for my hat more than once as it hung suspended in the air hooked on the thorns.

I love Africa
Screenshot_20201009-123537.png
Screenshot_20201009-123516.png

Russell moccasin are superb. They have many styles. You can get them custom made to your exact specifications. Often they have instock returns, which are brand new and discounted price. My first pair of instock did not properly fit, they replaced and got ones that fit perfectly. Get taller style to avoid use of gaiters. Best customer service on the planet!

Russell moccasin are superb. They have many styles. You can get them custom made to your exact specifications. Often they have instock returns, which are brand new and discounted price. My first pair of instock did not properly fit, they replaced and got ones that fit perfectly. Get taller style to avoid use of gaiters. Best customer service on the planet!

I love my Russell’s (I have two pair). However, they have a sole adhesion problem with their best stalking sole. Every PH I’ve seen wearing them has done multiple glue repairs to the sole. I actually had a sole come completely off during a safari. In a head to head comparison in the Zambezi valley last year, I chose the Courteney’s over the Russell’s. I alternated boots every day until I was convinced.

I’ve heard nothing but great things regarding the Courtney’s and African sporting creations. I’d buy a pair but I’d have to send a pair of these back.

I do not have experience with whatever the current US issue desert boot is. The boots pictured are what I have worn in Namibia and Botswana during the months of November, December, January, and into February one particular year. It does get warm in those places that time of year. I usually bring two pair and upon leaving put on the fresh pair and give the ones that I have been hunting with to one of the guys in camp. There is always someone that can appreciate a serviceable pair of boots. A thorn will not get through the soles of these. Occasionally you have to pick a thorn out of the side that gets to the meat but I am not sure that what we call snake leggings would stop some of those thorns.

thumbnail_20201009_152702.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theron03S

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!