Hunting attire

EDELWEISS

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
US, Canada, Middle East(does that count)
Im sure Im not the first to do this; but I who ever started it I owe a a huge thanks. Im calling it Adventure Hunting; but you could call it Historical or Re-enacting Hunting, or just dress up hunting. Whether its wearing a hunting frock and moccasins while BP hunting with a flintlock or dressing in tweeds and lace up leather knee boots for upland birds, or buckskins for a Buffalo hunt on the western plains, or breeches and a cloak with a Tyrolean hat while stalking Wild Boar; I like it. I have nothing against my buddies who hunt in the most modern camouflage, until that is when they mix patterns--thats just wrong! Its like they guy that wears a Giants hat with a Jets jersey....

If you hunt in camo, enjoy; but for me its boring. For me its like wearing a uniform to work, when you want to wear a Brooks Bros suit. Heck I get it. I get that theres a lot of science behind modern camo, just look at all the patterns, somebody must have gotten something right.....but I also get that hunting in "garb" is fun.

There are pages in the muzzle-loading section of members doing traditional hunts in RSA. On my first safari I dressed like Teddy Roosevelt-just because. Ive got an up coming Wild Boar hunt, Im tempted to wear my red lined cloak (always thinking safety) and a Alpine hat with Ostrich plums OR perhaps my wife and I will wear a matching set of tweeds?

For me its part of the hunt. Its deciding what period, what style, just like what rifle and what ammo.

Go for it brother! Wear what you want to. I have started to take notes of what outfitters and PH wear and it's shorts and a shirt!

I have nothing against my buddies who hunt in the most modern camouflage, until that is when they mix patterns--thats just wrong! Its like they guy that wears a Giants hat with a Jets jersey....

Go for it brother! Wear what you want to. I have started to take notes of what outfitters and PH wear and it's shorts and a shirt!

Some of those short shorts that old PHs like are just wrong............:A Shades:

image.jpg

Pieter in his shorts!

For me its part of the hunt. Its deciding what period, what style, just like what rifle and what ammo.

Tweeds and a cape all the way.
Post pictures mate. Never boring.

Amen. There generally is a reason for the traditional attire whether breeks, tweed, safari bush jacket, etc.

Camo is loathesome for so many reasons I couldn't chance to list them all for if I did, I'd hijack your thread.

I applaud your traditional approach.

Love it, does red and black wool count? I'm sure mine would still be warm enough, but I doubt they would fit!!

Although I may not join in, I find the topic intreaging. If you all could post pictures as examples, I'm sure that I'm not the only one that would enjoy seeing them.

A classic pheasant shoot in England dressed in traditional clothing would be quite the adventure.

I generally wear traditional redneck hunting attire...

bluejeans and a flannel shirt...

or when Im feeling sporty... I'll get fancy and go with a pair of olive drab cargo pants and a tan or brown shirt..

I havent owned/worn a piece of camo while hunting since my old army BDU's wore out in the late 90's..

Im the most boring looking hunter in the woods most days I am sure... :)

I think @Royal27 should share with AH what his choice of attire was for his squirrel hunt today.

I think @Royal27 should share with AH what his choice of attire was for his squirrel hunt today.

I will just say I didn't use any of that there high technology camouflage stuff. :whistle:

:K Moon:

Good thread !
Ive never liked camo .
Infact I feel like a dick if I wear it .

In Washington State we can wear whatever we like, as long as we wear one of those blasted orange vests over it.

I can't be the only one to recall something recently about Blue Shorts.

Attachments

• MVC-035S.jpg
    MVC-035S.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 302
  • 325ed23efb3eaf79a8d7965bdfcf4f43.jpg
    325ed23efb3eaf79a8d7965bdfcf4f43.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 271
  • swedehuntersvisit27.jpg
    swedehuntersvisit27.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 253
Is that Herman Goering in the 2nd pic?

Hahaha yes, GOOD catch! He might have been a monster; but he was a snappy dresser... Of course I dont support any of his war dealings; but the man did love to hunt. Because of him, the Germans were the only country to have a Drilling for a aircraft survival rifle
3482.jpg

ba7a7e99c614.jpg

J.P. Sauer Drilling 12GA/12GA/9.3x74R caliber.

Attachments

• 3482.jpg
    3482.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 294
  • ba7a7e99c614.jpg
    ba7a7e99c614.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 247

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickolasAr

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg