How to pack pelican case

mitch4570

Bronze supporter
AH enthusiast
Joined
Feb 10, 2014
Messages
422
Reaction score
629
Ok just received my 1750 pelican case. So I am bringing a double rifle and a bolt action. My question is, what's the best way to pack them? Do you remove the bolt from the bolt gun? Do you remove the scope? Do you take the double rifle apart or leave it assembled? Do you remove your red dot from the double rifle. My first safari is approching and I would like some advice before I cut my foam.
Thank you in advance.
 
Agree in cases and take the middle piece of foam out, but I don’t alway take the bolt out. I go back and forth between worrying about it breaking if it’s in and it getting lost by some TSA agents if it is out.

I use the Boyt padded canvas cases for my double and 375.
 
I did exactly like Russ16, traveled with a .416 Rigby and a .375 h&h, both with the Bolt in, Boyt padded canvas for both rifles just took the middle foam out and did not have to carve anything out…

Good luck
 
Here is my pack IMG_3922.jpeg
 
Ok just received my 1750 pelican case. So I am bringing a double rifle and a bolt action. My question is, what's the best way to pack them? Do you remove the bolt from the bolt gun? Do you remove the scope? Do you take the double rifle apart or leave it assembled? Do you remove your red dot from the double rifle. My first safari is approching and I would like some advice before I cut my foam.
Thank you in advance.
@SRvet the expert on this, wish I had followed his advice..
 
If doing yourself, order a set of closed cell foam for the case and lay out as you’d like and cut. Below is my last minute attempt last October when my foam didn’t arrive in time, and had considered taking a 1720 case with the barreled action out of the stock, but things proved tighter than I was comfortable with, so I piecemeal’d the 1720 foam to provide support around the double and barrel end of my Rigby.

And can’t speak highly enough of gunfoam.com if you want truly cush travel for your weapons.
IMG_6558.jpeg
IMG_6559.jpeg
IMG_6556.jpeg


Here is the link to the foam set for your 1750:

 
Here is the gunfoam.com insert for my 1700s cases, used it in April/May this year on the trip to Zimbabwe and Botswana.
IMG_1952.jpeg


And then the newest foam insert I’m dragging back to Zimbabwe in less than two weeks…it fits my 1720s and as you can see, fits the two doubles I’m taking. Next one I order will be for the 1750 and laid out similar to what I hacked out of foam last year, pictured above.
IMG_6907.jpeg


If you take your time, and use a sharp blade, like a havalon, you can cut that foam sheet set pretty cleanly to fit your rifles. The foam in the gunfoam sets are high density, but a softer way nicer type of foam than the factory or the closed cell. It’s really, really nice stuff and 101% pleased with the sets I’ve gotten to date.

Just note***It takes around 3-weeks from order submission until you have it in hand. Both orders I received a call/email from the tech folks wanting additional or different pictures anywhere they had a question to ensure the laser cut fitment was perfect.
 
I use Boyt double long hard case. 2 bolt guns in their in individual soft cases, which you will need over there to protect your guns in the truck. I remove the bolts and put them in lightweight small pistol cases. Scopes off in their own maxpedition case, puzzle it together with no other foam lock it up and go.
 
I have a question for those of you that take scopes off.

If you’re taking them in your carryon I can see the logic from a theft point of view. But if you’re putting it in the same case as the rifle you’re making it easier to steal and I don’t see how being separate from the rifle but in the same case affords any additional protection. The scope is still subject to the same forces and impact as if it was attached to the rifle.

Can you help me understand the benefits?
 
Take out the bolt. No matter what , take out the bolt. The bolt, when left in, provides a poiint of leverage on the stock when the case gets stepped on or stompted on. That leverage will break the stock.
 
Ok just received my 1750 pelican case. So I am bringing a double rifle and a bolt action. My question is, what's the best way to pack them? Do you remove the bolt from the bolt gun? Do you remove the scope? Do you take the double rifle apart or leave it assembled? Do you remove your red dot from the double rifle. My first safari is approching and I would like some advice before I cut my foam.
Thank you in advance.
I just cut the foam using an electric knife and left everything as is.
 
Take out the bolt. No matter what , take out the bolt. The bolt, when left in, provides a poiint of leverage on the stock when the case gets stepped on or stompted on. That leverage will break the stock.
This will break or snap lot of things including the scope and grip of the stock. I leave as is.
 
Bolt out always, but stored in rifle case. Most airlines will require this. My scopes stay on, QD or not.

Simply remove the middle foam, and put your guns inside soft bags. That way, you'll have a soft case to use in the vehicle etc during the hunt. (y)
 
Last edited:
Consider removing all foam and just put clothing and gear in to pad it for flight. Saves a bag, and the odds of an airline losing a gun are MUCH less than losing/delaying standard baggage.
 
I don't take soft cases. My lodge owner has LOTS of them. I suspect many left behind by clients as "tips".
 
  • Like
Reactions: RLP
Consider removing all foam and just put clothing and gear in to pad it for flight. Saves a bag, and the odds of an airline losing a gun are MUCH less than losing/delaying standard baggage.
??? Airlines inspect and lable gun cases as carrying guns. At least every airline I've travelled on. Stuffing it full of clothes won't magically change it into "standard baggage."

Edit: Oops. Misread your post. Maybe a good idea actually.
 
Consider removing all foam and just put clothing and gear in to pad it for flight. Saves a bag, and the odds of an airline losing a gun are MUCH less than losing/delaying standard baggage.
Probably you can, but will this provid as much support and at the right places that a cut out foam and diamond shaped thick foam on top will provide?
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,292
Messages
1,571,859
Members
169,448
Latest member
MichaelMur
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top