How possible would a double lever rifle be?

tigris115

AH fanatic
Reaction score
So I've seen a double bolt-action rifle which allows you to shoot up to 8 dangerous game rounds (10 if you put 2 up the spout)

I also made this thread a while ago asking why lever-action rifles aren't used more in African game fields, especially when there are cartridges capable of handling the local megafauna. I was told that with a double rifle, you aren't reliant on only 1 action so if something goes wrong, you can recover quickly.

So I thought why not include the best of both worlds and design a double rifle that like the double bolt rifle, can be cycled to replace the 2 spent cartridges. Outside of Africa, I'm sure Alaskan guides would give everything to have this rifle in grizzly country.

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
On double bolt actions no one has ever figured out selective ejection. Lots of times we do fire just one shot. With a lever action - barring two levers - it would be just as difficult. Silly gimmickry.

Kenneth McMillan

AH senior member
Reaction score
Articles
Member of
Safari Club International
Hunted
Norway, Scotland
I would love for it to be possible as I love lever actions but in reality I don't think it could be.

Forrest Halley

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
So the Sechsei-Fuchs design is very interesting. Double push feed with the locking lugs at the rear of the action and not on the bolt heads.
As the base rifle was north of $50k when it debuted I think it's out of reach for anyone with a need for it.

I believe a lever action double rifle could be fashioned out of an expanded BLR action or an 1886 action. The problem will be the person over embellishing the design and process and trying to make their fortune off a few rifles. The real thing would be to get a few out for folks to shoot and build a reputation, but who can afford that?

BeeMaa

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI
Hunted
Eastern US & RSA
When hunting DG...it is not the time to make things MORE complicated.

CTDolan

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
A double in anything other than a double (be it bolt action, lever action, falling block, or some other) makes absolutely no sense to me. That said, if the old British cartridges weren't so long they'd be marvelous in a lever action platform. As it is, though, even with a pivoting bottom plate (as with the Winchester Model 94), the lever throw would be excessive.

Newboomer

Gold supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA, SCI, American Legion, Freemasons
Hunted
RSA, Maine, Montana, Colorado, Texas, Alaska, California.
It would take some doing to work just one lever at a time. Right hander, right lever. Then how do you get to the left one? Lefty, just opposite. Nice pipe dream but---.

Ryan

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Outside of Africa, I'm sure Alaskan guides would give everything to have this rifle in grizzly country.

One of the gun shops in Anchorage makes it's business on some lever guns in big bores, but honestly it's a small niche thing. I've never heard of them even considering the logistics of a double lever gun.
Basically I see two barrels and two tubes with one lever to keep things as uncomplicated as possible. Then a firing mechanism that fires one barrel at a time and ejection of both at once, presumably out of opposing sides. This is getting complicated fast for situations that don't need complication. Plus the cost will scare all but a rare few.

As an Alaskan who sees a couple/few bears while hunting, fishing, and hiking I doubt it. Heck, doubles are rare as back up for bear. Guides are often known to take 375's or occasionally 416 or 458 bolt actions for bear back up. A friend who hunts Kodiak island and used to live there has a 375 bolt action for back up in case bears show up to a deer kill. A friend who sees tons of bears while fishing and working on the streams for work as a biologist carries a 12 gauge with a few types of rounds. He now owns a 45-70 lever action for moose hunting but seems to prefer the 12 gauge for bears.

mikecatt13

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
I bet someone that knows their stuff like Wild West Guns could make it happen. Reliably enough to bet your life on? Probably debatable. More expensive than a very very fine double rifle, or 3? Definitely

BeeMaa

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI
Hunted
Eastern US & RSA
Why are all of my ideas so grossly impractical:cry::cry::cry::cry:?
Awwww...I'm sure you've had some great ideas.
Let's just stay away from putting a kick-start on a weed wacker and we'll be good.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

mbogo45 wrote on Jager Waffen74's profile.
Appreciate your info and feedback, I looked at some European websites to try and get info on the value of this particular Steyr. Further input from you on it's value would be appreciated as you have a bunch of them. I assume you collect the Steyr Luxus for a reason ---they are a finely built rifle.
I’ll never hunt Africa, but give me please a Jack O’Connor hunt up high in the Canadian Rockies!
Just came from a hunt and already longing for the bush
JPmbogo wrote on yhc's profile.
I have factory loaded Hornady 450 NE 3 1/4 DGS that I am selling for not much more than the brass itself at $75/box - see my listing for same.