How many people have a 35 whelen?

Your just not trying hard enough Spook.
You should be able to get at least 3400fps !

Image1632666367.178711.jpg

This is where I hunt Elk I don’t need 3400 FPS

@Spooksar
What powder are you using and what speeds do you get with the 225s and 250s.
Bob

Just checked my data 2750 with 55.5 grains but load is hot. Dropped a grain for 2720. This is with Reloader 15. Don’t have any of the new powders but would be interesting to see what I can get out of it. Also need to find some 250 grain bullets I have 1/2 a box of 250 Partitions left but need it for my 378/300 RUM

I've got an old 700 with a 24" Douglas Barrel and a M70 Featherweight with a PacNor barrel, both in the Ackley Version. They shoot great with several combos from the manuals, but really do well with 250s. I've also shot cast in them and the occasional Woodleigh 310. The 310s are good for anything in North America - 4' of penetration in water jugs.

I've got an old 700 with a 24" Douglas Barrel and a M70 Featherweight with a PacNor barrel, both in the Ackley Version. They shoot great with several combos from the manuals, but really do well with 250s. I've also shot cast in them and the occasional Woodleigh 310. The 310s are good for anything in North America - 4' of penetration in water jugs.

How for do the 250s penetrate?

You're getting 2700fps in a 250gr bullet from the 35 Whelen?
@PHOENIX PHIL
Yes sir certainly Amanda that's with Hornady spires, speer hotcore and Woodleigh. The 250 Hornady roundnose only runs to 2,,670fps tho.
That load brings the Whelen up to a whole new level and power. 4,000fpe out of a Whelen ain't to be taken lightly. The loads where chronoed as well
@jwp475 has posted chronoed pics of his Whelen doing the same speed in his Whelen.
Bob

My preferred barrel length in a bolt action hunting rifle is 22 inchs I’m getting just under 2600 with a 250 grain Partition in my Whelen so you are right in the ball park
@Spooksar
I'm using a 25 inch tube and get 2,700
Bob

Seems pretty hot from what little I know on the caliber. How accurate are these loads? And are they bullets you’d hunt something big and grumpy with?

How for do the 250s penetrate?
@jwp475
The 250gr Hornady roundnose at just under 2,700fps penetrates real well.
An oryx bull at 120 yards hit in the shoulder and left a golf ball size exit hole on the other side.
The PH said he saw the body ripple from the front to the hams on impact. 15 yard dash and nosedive.
Bob

I just replaced the factory trigger on my 1988 Rem which broke at a creepy 5.5 lbs. I Replaced it with a new Trigger Tech set at 3lbs and tried it out the range today. I was extremely happy with the results as the groups got a lot tighter I,ll get a few pics up next trip as the range was full of AR shooters and guys with muzzle breaks so I got out of there a lot sooner as I planned

Last edited:
Bob,

BTW, who is Amanda?

Bob isn’t baiting. He’s done his homework. I checked into what he’s been saying, and his findings are legitimate. There’s no bull there.
When loaded with the new powders e.g. CFE223, the .35 Whelen outshines the .300 Win & Weatherby magnums, and tops the .338 Win Mag by several ft-lbs.

Like I said, he’s done his homework up, down, left, and right.
Yes, Bob jokes, but not about the.35 Whelen.

Hawk
“Bob isn’t baiting”. He’s a master at it. LOL

Not saying that the figures you are stating on the 35 Whelen are made up. I believe you. Just that you are not comparing these to similar max hand loaded data for the 338.

I assume you are comparing to factory loaded data on the 338. That is where the apples to apples comparison falls short.

You simply can’t overcome the increased case capacity that the 338 has over the 35 Whelen.

Here are the capacities i just looked up. H2O grains of 86 for 338 vs. 72.6 for the Whelen. That is an 18.5% advantage for the .338. And the BC and SD are better for the 338 for same weight bullets.

There is no magic to get around this.
“There is no magic to get around this”. No, but using “modern” math and “revisionary” ballistic data sure helps? Ha! Ha! Ha!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerthaChristopher

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.