How many people have a 35 whelen?

The .35 Whelen is very rare around these parts. In my whole hunting life I have only known 3 people who had them and that was back in the 90s. Two of them were and outfitter that I guided for and his son. They each had them in Remington 7600s. And the other one belonged to a U.S. gun writer (Bryce Towsley) that I guided. His was a Remington 700. Haven’t seen one since!
I just checked my local gunshop’s website listings and they don’t have one in stock. Seems like for some reason the .35 Whelen just hasn’t caught on around here. Don’t know why. I guess the young hunters are just hung up on speed these days.
35 Whelen was not a popular cartridge when first released due to poor performance of Remington’s bullet choice I believe they tried to download the bullets they used in 35 Rem and also they were worried about all the wildcat rifles out there so factory ammo was low pressure. My son has mine and it loves 225 Accubonds. Mine has neve fired a factory cartridge only my reloads.
shawn

20211107_084537.jpg

The 35 Nelson, err Whelen, strikes again.

View attachment 435378
The 35 Nelson, err Whelen, strikes again.
From what I hear you just put one of the hammer bullets in there and a good amount of powder and you get pulled pork barbecue on the spot. That turdy-phive Nelson could do with a little vinegar and barbecue sauce packet in the second shot and we could have Carolina style right there in the field.

My Whelan was bequeathed to me by my Uncle Allie, on his passing. It looked like a common sporterized Springfield and I couldn't wait to turn it into a 25-06 as I was in my twenties. It came with RCBS dies, 500 bullets and 200 formed cases. P.O. Ackley had bored out the military 30-06 barrel and made it a 35 Whelan AI. It had a light trigger, and that Springfield action was not only smooth, it also holds five cartridges in the magazine, plus one in the chamber. Thus 1,500 grains of bullets get fired before reloading is needed.
By the end of that summer I had learned to shoot this weapon very fast and accurately and knew it would always be a 35 Whelan. It has taken 5 different species of North American game and has never required more than one shot. I have used 250 Speer spitzers for years and know there are better bullets available now, but the Speers have done everything I have ever asked them to do.

My Whelan was bequeathed to me by my Uncle Allie, on his passing. It looked like a common sporterized Springfield and I couldn't wait to turn it into a 25-06 as I was in my twenties. It came with RCBS dies, 500 bullets and 200 formed cases. P.O. Ackley had bored out the military 30-06 barrel and made it a 35 Whelan AI. It had a light trigger, and that Springfield action was not only smooth, it also holds five cartridges in the magazine, plus one in the chamber. Thus 1,500 grains of bullets get fired before reloading is needed.
By the end of that summer I had learned to shoot this weapon very fast and accurately and knew it would always be a 35 Whelan. It has taken 5 different species of North American game and has never required more than one shot. I have used 250 Speer spitzers for years and know there are better bullets available now, but the Speers have done everything I have ever asked them to do.
You sir are a wise man. That rig cannot be improved upon. I hope you have since aquired a proper 25-06 to scratch that itch it is a fine long range varmint critter gitter.

@Gene So
Now all you have to do is load it to Speers specs for the 250gr and 2,700 fps and that will give you 24,000 fpe of muzzle energy on tap to go with it.

You gotta love these Nelsonites! They plain crack me up! Always telling you how many grains they can fire before reloading and always WRONG. You don't fire 1500 grains before reloading you fire 250. Every cycle of the bolt is a reloading action. You may replenish the magazine after 1500 grains has been fired, but you reloaded five times already. Making it out like there's some great grand salvo of destruction being sent down range prior to reloading. Hah! Turdy-phive calibah howitzahs! And the caissons go rolling along...

My .458 fires 500 grains before reloading and if I've got a pocket full of shells I can fire 4000 grains before I go get a cold drink. If I had a R8 I could fire 2000 grains before relo...plenishment of the magazine and if I had a CZ550 I could get maybe 3000 grains if it was one of those special ones with the endless magazine. The one fella swore he could get seven rounds of .375 into his gun. Yet he could never make a video of it.

You gotta love these Nelsonites! They plain crack me up! Always telling you how many grains they can fire before reloading and always WRONG. You don't fire 1500 grains before reloading you fire 250. Every cycle of the bolt is a reloading action. You may replenish the magazine after 1500 grains has been fired, but you reloaded five times already. Making it out like there's some great grand salvo of destruction being sent down range prior to reloading. Hah! Turdy-phive calibah howitzahs! And the caissons go rolling along...

My .458 fires 500 grains before reloading and if I've got a pocket full of shells I can fire 4000 grains before I go get a cold drink. If I had a R8 I could fire 2000 grains before relo...plenishment of the magazine and if I had a CZ550 I could get maybe 3000 grains if it was one of those special ones with the endless magazine. The one fella swore he could get seven rounds of .375 into his gun. Yet he could never make a video of it.
@Forrest Halley
You love spoiling the party don't you with mine is bigger than yours.
If we send 4,000 grains down range at least we will be fine.
Unlike your poor self that would be looking for a chiropractor and a retinal surgeon after doing the same. We won't mention the dentist that is needed to put your fillings back in after rattling them out with the recoil of that Lott.

@Forrest Halley
You love spoiling the party don't you with mine is bigger than yours.
If we send 4,000 grains down range at least we will be fine.
Unlike your poor self that would be looking for a chiropractor and a retinal surgeon after doing the same. We won't mention the dentist that is needed to put your fillings back in after rattling them out with the recoil of that Lott.
Bobbo,
I pause at 8 shots because the world is doubtlessly impressed and the barrel is starting to get hot. Out of respect for the equipment and a distinct lack of armed opposition, I pause. Well I am a fan of SATAN'S toe-mah-toe stake (the 2-4-3) and the thirty aww shucks(.30-06), but I'd have to shoot all afternoon to catch up with salvos of destructive power you magically get by arriving at 0.358".

If you send 4000 grains down range there is either an uprising of some local militia or you've been charged by a herd of elephants. Nothing else in the world is going to wait around that long for you Turdy-Phive lovers to refill your magazines twice. Curiously you lot are seemingly the only ones that are in love with Magazine Granular Projectile Yield (MGPY). It's like some novel way to classify a pseudo tactical capability of one's sub .375 caliber rifle.

I wonder if the .338 shooters do the same...?? @CoElkHunter what do you guys do? Just shoot and kill stuff without compensating for anything? :A Stirring: :A Outta:

Last edited:
Bobbo,
I pause at 8 shots because the world is doubtlessly impressed and the barrel is starting to get hot. Out of respect for the equipment and a distinct lack of armed opposition, I pause. Well I am a fan of SATAN'S toe-mah-toe stake (the 2-4-3) and the thirty aww shucks(.30-06), but I'd have to shoot all afternoon to catch up with salvos of destructive power you magically get by arriving at 0.358".

If you send 4000 grains down range there is either an uprising of some local militia or you've been charged by a herd of elephants. Nothing else in the world is going to wait around that long for you Turdy-Phive lovers to refill your magazines twice. Curiously you lot are seemingly the only ones that are in love with Magazine Granular Projectile Yield (MGPY). It's like some novel way to classify a pseudo tactical capability of one's sub .375 caliber rifle.

I wonder if the .338 shooters do the same...?? @CoElkHunter what do you guys do? Just shoot and kill stuff without compensating for anything? :A Stirring: :A Outta:

338' are inferior to 35 Whelens, just so you know. LOL

Bobbo,

HA! HA! HA! HA! FORREST! The only solution for the .35 Whelen crowd, is to get a pump action (probably legal in OZ?) or semi auto Remington with an 10 round extended round magazine and bang away at anything legal that moves. When you run out of ammo, pop another magazine in. My Browning A Bolt .338 has three round magazines. I keep an extra in my cargo pocket in the event I'm charged by a herd of Wolverines in CO or if in OZ, a herd of Tasmanian Devils. You can't be too careful!
CEH

I shot a whitetail today with a 35 Whelen and was a little disappointed. The shot was behind the shoulder at about 70 yards. The deer ran for about 150 yards through the woods, across a creek, and into the woods on the other side. The exit wound was truly enormous and left a heavy blood trail but I get much more tidy work from a 375 or 416 and I never have to chase them all over the place. I think it will be for sale pretty soon.

I shot a whitetail today with a 35 Whelen and was a little disappointed. The shot was behind the shoulder at about 70 yards. The deer ran for about 150 yards through the woods, across a creek, and into the woods on the other side. The exit wound was truly enormous and left a heavy blood trail but I get much more tidy work from a 375 or 416 and I never have to chase them all over the place. I think it will be for sale pretty soon.
@CD24
IF'N the price is right either @CoElkHunter or @Forrest Halley
Would put in an offer if the price was right

First off sorry to hear that and I'm glad you were able to recover the animal. What's your load for the .35?
@CD24
IF'N the price is right either @CoElkHunter or @Forrest Halley
Would put in an offer if the price was right
I'm thinking that I will shoot one with SATAN'S toe-mah-toe stake (the 2-4-3) just for Bob's benefit. At the ranges I'd get close to home it's more than sufficient.
HA! HA! HA! HA! FORREST! The only solution for the .35 Whelen crowd, is to get a pump action (probably legal in OZ?) or semi auto Remington with an 10 round extended round magazine and bang away at anything legal that moves. When you run out of ammo, pop another magazine in. My Browning A Bolt .338 has three round magazines. I keep an extra in my cargo pocket in the event I'm charged by a herd of Wolverines in CO or if in OZ, a herd of Tasmanian Devils. You can't be too careful!
CEH
We all know you're whipping out that G40 and showing them who's boss, but the thought of seven powerful .338 WM bullets well directed against advancing adversaries is terrifying indeed. Spare magazines for a rifle is just for holding spare ammo. I have a 7400 and I've never changed one in the field. I always had enough in the original loading of 4+1 to get it done. Even with a handgun I've never run past six shots. The availability of onboard ammunition and its haphazard expenditure is what makes for the higher round count during an engagement.
Don't forget about that 2900 fps 225 grain wonder bullet that's defying gravity, physics, and probably a few reloading manuals...

Back in 2008 when I lived in Juneau, AK, I planned a Caribou hunt above the Arctic Circle for the next year. I used that as an excuse to be different and found a NIB 1988 Remington Model 700 Classic 35 Whelen on Gun Broker. Got it, replaced the stock with an all weather black McMillian one, quick release Talley rings, and put a Zeiss conquest 3.5-10x44 on it because it was wide open tundra. Handloaded some Nosler 225 Gr. Partitions and sighted it in for 200 yards. Brown bears were known to be in the area, so I wanted some insurance. Ended up taking quite a few Caribou that trip, one over 200 yards. I have since replaced the Zeiss with a 2.5x8 Leupold and still hunt with it at times in Alabama with that Alaskan load I cooked up. While everyone in camp had their 300 win Mags and 338s, I thought I was the cool guy with a 35 Whelen.

2009.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
First off sorry to hear that and I'm glad you were able to recover the animal. What's your load for the .35?

I'm thinking that I will shoot one with SATAN'S toe-mah-toe stake (the 2-4-3) just for Bob's benefit. At the ranges I'd get close to home it's more than sufficient.

We all know you're whipping out that G40 and showing them who's boss, but the thought of seven powerful .338 WM bullets well directed against advancing adversaries is terrifying indeed. Spare magazines for a rifle is just for holding spare ammo. I have a 7400 and I've never changed one in the field. I always had enough in the original loading of 4+1 to get it done. Even with a handgun I've never run past six shots. The availability of onboard ammunition and its haphazard expenditure is what makes for the higher round count during an engagement.
Don't forget about that 2900 fps 225 grain wonder bullet that's defying gravity, physics, and probably a few reloading manuals...
I can’t relate to needing more bullets as I have never had to use more than one 35 caliber round. Maybe I am just lucky but I give all credit to the round.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swasel

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!