How many is too many?

Here’s the part where I question my own sanity-I have a different die set for each favorite bullet and rifle in .30-06. The bullet seating die permanently set for my favorite bullet in each specific rifle. I buy the dies used so maybe $20 each-fortunately lots of -06 dies kicking around. I have six currently-lmfao!
i haven't gone that far yet. i have binders full of load data for all my rifles. i have a perfect load for each one. i have reloaded for so long i have gotten good at replicating the exact same load every time i need more ammo. although now i have run into a new issue. it would see they have discontinued H-414 powder and i have a lot of load data using it. now i have to start over with every rifle that I'm using it in. i have about 5 pounds left and then i have to start over

out of curiosity which do you like better? the 9.3x57 or the 9.3x62? they have both always topped my list of curiosity and i have always wanted to get one of them

Honestly, it's the 9.3x57 and it isn't particularly close:

The rifles (Husqvarna sporters are abundant, available for a song) are gorgeous, and it's so easy and mild to shoot, and can do just about anything.

There isn't a whole heck of a lot the 9.3x57 can't do, or I wouldn't trust it to do outside of DG.

The 9.3x62 is perhaps more practical if you are visiting African countries and want to use it for buff if it's legal, but aside from that, it's plenty of gun for everything else out there at reasonable ranges.

Not a Georgia bean field cartridge, but as far as I'm concerned, it's the best versatile calibre out there. (45-70 coming in second or third, with 6.5x55 in that mix as well).

Then again, I'm antiquated in beliefs:
I don't worship at the altar of speed, I like my heavy bullets, and I like my low recoiling, iron sighted rifles. Your mileage may vary!

Ammunition availability is a thing as well: Norma Alaska's are around, and some Oryx, but that's about it. Much easier cartridge to get into if you reload.

9.3x62 is around. 9.3x57, the Internet and online ordering is your friend.

Honestly, it's the 9.3x57 and it isn't particularly close:

The rifles (Husqvarna sporters are abundant, available for a song) are gorgeous, and it's so easy and mild to shoot, and can do just about anything.

There isn't a whole heck of a lot the 9.3x57 can't do, or I wouldn't trust it to do outside of DG.

The 9.3x62 is perhaps more practical if you are visiting African countries and want to use it for buff if it's legal, but aside from that, it's plenty of gun for everything else out there at reasonable ranges.

Not a Georgia bean field cartridge, but as far as I'm concerned, it's the best versatile calibre out there. (45-70 coming in second or third, with 6.5x55 in that mix as well).

Then again, I'm antiquated in beliefs:
I don't worship at the altar of speed, I like my heavy bullets, and I like my low recoiling, iron sighted rifles. Your mileage may vary!
all my favorite rifles go for weight over speed. in my 30-06 i run 180gr because i have so many of them. even in my 308 i run the same 180gr sst. my 458 socom i run 525gr hard cast. they are super accurate and hit like a freight train.

This post is so timely. I have some calibers that I am going to sell:
CZ550 9.3x62 because it is too close to my 375HH.
Remington Mohawk 308 Win. Too close to my 7RM.
Savage SRT-10 Tactical 308 Win. Too close to my 7RM and I'm not shooting matches anymore.
Marlin 1895 44mag.
MRC American Legend 30-06. Too close to 7RM.
That leaves me with a pretty good spread:
5.56/223. 6.5CR. 7RM. 375HH. I figure they will handle anything I might want to hunt. Of course, if something jumps right up in front of me I might pick up another something.
We ended in virtually the same place with only one difference.
5.56/223, 6.5CR, 300PRC, 375H&H
Support those with rimfires in 22LR and 17HMR and I have zero regrets for anything I got rid of.

We ended in virtually the same place with only one difference.
5.56/223, 6.5CR, 300PRC, 375H&H
Support those with rimfires in 22LR and 17HMR and I have zero regrets for anything I got rid of.
I have an old Mossberg 152 22LR and a Ruger 10-22 and a Single Six LR/22 mag.

Whether you are talking caliber, cartridges, chambering or total we each have different requirements and priorities. As long as the family are taken care of first then enjoy your interest .

Gatorhunter1313, I didn't see a 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser in your battery. Since you handload, you can load that caliber to respectable velocities and energy levels. When properly loaded the old Swede doesn't leave much on the table compared to the latest 6.5 caliber hotshots.

I’ve got too many guns and it’s a product of not really thinking that much ahead rather buying guns that were good deals and having been given plenty.

I occasionally have what I call “That old fashioned feeling,” where I want to sell everything I have and replace them all with matching light, medium, and heavy rifles, a shotgun, a .22 and never look at another gun.

This post is so timely. I have some calibers that I am going to sell:
CZ550 9.3x62 because it is too close to my 375HH.
Remington Mohawk 308 Win. Too close to my 7RM.
Savage SRT-10 Tactical 308 Win. Too close to my 7RM and I'm not shooting matches anymore.
Marlin 1895 44mag.
MRC American Legend 30-06. Too close to 7RM.
That leaves me with a pretty good spread:
5.56/223. 6.5CR. 7RM. 375HH. I figure they will handle anything I might want to hunt. Of course, if something jumps right up in front of me I might pick up another something.
"Fear the man with one gun...he probably knows how to use it." Clint Smith
Although I believe he was talking about pistols, I think it applies here as well.

This is what we did, thinned the herd so to speak.
Down to 4 calibers with a R8 for each of us.
I like that the stock & trigger feel the same no matter what caliber we use.

@Newboomer
Weren't you planning on a 404J not too long ago?
Whatever happened there?

How many it too many?
That's a question only you can answer.
Everyone else's opinion (including mine) just doesn't matter.

Last edited:
Gatorhunter1313, I didn't see a 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser in your battery. Since you handload, you can load that caliber to respectable velocities and energy levels. When properly loaded the old Swede doesn't leave much on the table compared to the latest 6.5 caliber hotshots.
I don’t have anything in a 6.5 caliber. I will say, if things ever go back to somewhat normal I want to start working on some new purchases in calibers I haven’t owned yet

Here’s the part where I question my own sanity-I have a different die set for each favorite bullet and rifle in .30-06. The bullet seating die permanently set for my favorite bullet in each specific rifle. I buy the dies used so maybe $20 each-fortunately lots of -06 dies kicking around. I have six currently-lmfao!
Micrometer head die and a notebook is an option that would save you some money. It's my m.o.

Although I believe he was talking about pistols, I think it applies here as well.

@Newboomer
Whatever happened there?

How many it too many?

i agree on the opinion theory. I wasn’t asking this question because I am going to change my caliber collection in any way. I was just curious what others though on having many calibers vs very few.

the 9.3 has been on my watch list for a while. i have dies for a 9.3x62 but never had a rifle for it. i hate to ask how much you want for it because i have 5 rifle builds in the works right now but i must know.
I'll take $875.00 shipped to your FFL. It has a VX-R 3-9x40 on it. $200.00.

@Newboomer
Whatever happened there?

How many it too many?
I had a 404 ordered from MRC but when they shut down it kind of killed the deal. I talked to CZ at the SCI show but the guy who did their work retired and there was no one else available.

My wife will kill me but I have a couple side jobs next weekend and if I get paid right away and you still have it I might take you up on that

There is certainly a practicality to limiting the number of calibers to only those most important for certain tasks and being intimately familiar with their trajectories and capabilities as well as having fewer types of ammo to keep up with. That said, variety is the spice of life and the more the merrier. As long as you know your zero and holdovers when hunting, you don't have too many.

There is certainly a practicality to limiting the number of calibers to only those most important for certain tasks and being intimately familiar with their trajectories and capabilities as well as having fewer types of ammo to keep up with. That said, variety is the spice of life and the more the merrier. As long as you know your zero and holdovers when hunting, you don't have too many.
I run Nikon scopes for almost all my rifles and use the app. It’s not perfect but it keeps me close on ranges. I have load data and speeds for all my rifles and main ammo used. I print out a ballistics table and tape it to my rifles when I am hunting.

Too many? Never enough is my thought process. I'm freeing up a couple slots by actually selling a couple (375 & 264) and feel confident I won't be below 70.
I enjoy the Christmas feeling every time I go digging around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kurpfalzjäger

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber