How far do you have to travel to even hunt?

About 45 min. My best friend's in-laws own about 250 acres and that is where we hunt. My wife wants to move in the country, and she keeps looking for us to purchase land, and it's going to happen soon. They are not making any more land. :unsure:

We live on a small farm, about 75 acres, and I hunt whitetails there. We also have an abundance of racoons, squirrels, and wild turkey. I shot a coyote 50 yards from the house, standing on my front sidewalk last year. I know for certain there is a black bear within 1/2 mile of us, but I've never seen him or had a pic on the trail cam.

My local hunts are 10-15min away. My Ohio spot is 6.5hrs. I think the travel has to depend on several factors such as how good the opportunity is and how adventurous you are. I enjoy hunting trips where I stay days at a time, but if I had to commute over an hour each way for local hunting, I'd be looking for alternatives. I'd do it if there was absolutely no other way, but I'd always be looking for something closer.

About 45 min. My best friend's in-laws own about 250 acres and that is where we hunt. My wife wants to move in the country, and she keeps looking for us to purchase land, and it's going to happen soon. They are not making any more land. :unsure:

You need to jump on that before she changes her mind.

You need to jump on that before she changes her mind.
Oh no, not her. She is my biggest fan, and she tells me how cool it would be to hunt in the backyard, and then come home for a hot breakfast. LOL!!!! I won the Lotto with her. :ROFLMAO:

"50 yards. Actually out the window if the need arises."
At the edge of town ands country, Nearest formal shooting range is 10 miles and reservoir lake property less than that. We have horses, dogs, cats, chickens, coyote, varmints, etc. Around the house we only shoot skunks, snakes, dillers, etc. Cougar have recently been shot within 10 miles

Yep, act while you can. Like the old saying goes- “don’t know what you’ve got ‘til it’s gone.”

I can hunt out the back door for several species- deer, turkey, black bear, elk, mountain lions, small game and doves. But no desire to kill the locals except rock squirrels and p-dogs… then it’s operation extermination! I pretty much leave the bobcats and gray foxes alone but coyotes are in trouble all year :) Elk generally come through just after season then stay off and on all winter. I haven’t hunted elk in 23-24 years but did see a herd of about 250 day before yesterday about two miles from the house. With the deer, come these of course:) Pic is just out my back door. I still can’t convince my little dog to be careful, even in the back yard.
183687D3-50A6-4802-BFB3-0C6FE79FA502.jpeg
4CE45971-7DF8-425C-9B45-26E8CC136B50.jpeg

Oh no, not her. She is my biggest fan, and she tells me how cool it would be to hunt in the backyard, and then come home for a hot breakfast. LOL!!!! I won the Lotto with her. :ROFLMAO:
It is fun to hunt in the backyard but the older I get the more I just watch the deer, ducks, geese and dove that frequent my back yard. Since we moved into our house and 80 acres in 1999 I’ve only shot 3 does a 10pt and a 9pt along with quite a few birds but now I travel about 5 miles down the road to our bay property to collect my meat. Plus when hunting that close to home there is always something you think you need to be doing around the house, that is why I try to make some sort of hunting trip every year so I can just have fun and concentrate on hunting.

My deer lease is an hour drive from my house. I could hunt closer. One of the best deer areas in the state (Jefferson County) is about 15 minutes away. Missourians are fortunate in having good hunting just a short drive from even the center of our most populous cities.

dove: 5 minutes.
deer, turkey, quail and sandhill cranes: 30 minutes
downside: I'm 3.5 hours away from a metroplex with a decent airport.
priorities: straight.

Reactions: WAB
Takes me about 6 minutes to walk down the bottom of the hill for deer.
2 1/2 days to get to my annual bear hunting camp...

Reactions: WAB
According to HuntStand. 144.7 yards from where I am working in my room right now to my deer stand where I killed this buck this year.
Nearest airport. 1 hour.
nearest city 20 mins.
Nearest dog club is 5 minutes and has 8,000 acres and I can hunt with them any time I want to.

C98197DF-22C8-486F-8A24-D04C6FAEBFB1.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so deep in a metroplex that I feel like I have to travel about an hour in any direction (or more) to get off concrete and into the woods! How are prospects for you?
I live in suburban area, of local town. I have my local hunting area 15 minutes by car. But options are limited, and not overwhelming, and sometimes disappointing with local rules.

So, my next option is to go to rural areas of the country where options are better. It is 200 - 300 km, by car. It means loosing at least 48 hrs, but bringing something home.

Finally, my passion is African safari, 7.500 km.

Life is not perfect.

When considering good hunt, I came to conclusion it is best to consider all variables, and go to the better place, with better chance of success, rather then to waste time on cheap dime, for mostly poor result. Then it is waste of time and money.

Fact: About 90% of venison that I brought home was taken at more then 200 km from home.

Side note: I live in Europe, not US, but I believe this applies world wide.

Good gal!

Only 40 yards to make it to the woods.

Had to shoot a feral canine from the bathroom window a few years ago, but that wasn't hunting.

I have to drive about 30min for Coyote, Javelina, Quail and Dove. We also have Bobcat and Fox out here as well. I'm hoping to get an Elk and Pronghorn tag next season for here in Arizona!

Attachments

• received_3095000527431552.jpeg
    received_3095000527431552.jpeg
    387.4 KB · Views: 61
  • 20211023_131927.jpg
    23.9 MB · Views: 47

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ga179sale

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you