How do you do it?!? Deciding your Target list

As for kudu or nyala that is a hard choice as they are both beautiful animals. Kudu is normally a harder hunt and gives you a run for your money to get one.

Waterbuck was one of my favorite animals to hunt as was eland. Good luck and enjoy the trip no matter what you pick in the end

I'll second @billc here. I went into my first safari wanting Kudu and Nyala and ended up getting Kudu and Waterbuck. Kudu is a must and a very special hunt, especially if you can get up into the Waterberg mountains.

I was initially not interested in waterbuck until I saw a living example- a very majestic animal and great fun to hunt- but tough- their gray fur blends right in with the bush.

I'll get a nyala next time!

I may have missed this, but did you buy a "packaged" hunt including the daily rate for lodging, meals, PHs etc. plus a fixed or given mix of animals; some large, some small. Or are you selecting the animals you want and paying a "trophy" fee for each one over and above the daily rate? I bought a "packaged" hunt that included Kudu, Gemsbok, BWB, Impala, Blesbok and Wart Hog. My sons hunted with me and each of us had the same "package." In order to increase the number of species taken, each of us gave up one of the "packagd" animals plus a small fee to upgrade to a different animal. I traded my Kudu for a Waterbuck, my oldest son traded his Gemsbok for a Zebra, my youngest son swapped his BWB for a Red Hartebeest. Most outfitters "packaged" hunts offer a considerable savings over the "roll your own" plus daily rates.

We also used a spread sheet with a fixed number of dollars to see what each of us might take if the opportunity presented itself. If you and your wife are hunting separately, you can also swap amongst yourselves depending on what the Bush offers you. Remember that you have to cover the VAT, tips, taxidermy work, shipping (multiple times) and import fees once the hunting is completed. These added costs can easily double what you spent on the actual Safari.

I second, third or fourth the comment that regardless of your current thoughts on the matter, that after the hunt you will be planning a return trip.

I may have missed this, but did you buy a "packaged" hunt including the daily rate for lodging, meals, PHs etc. plus a fixed or given mix of animals; some large, some small. Or are you selecting the animals you want and paying a "trophy" fee for each one over and above the daily rate? I bought a "packaged" hunt that included Kudu, Gemsbok, BWB, Impala, Blesbok and Wart Hog. My sons hunted with me and each of us had the same "package." In order to increase the number of species taken, each of us gave up one of the "packagd" animals plus a small fee to upgrade to a different animal. I traded my Kudu for a Waterbuck, my oldest son traded his Gemsbok for a Zebra, my youngest son swapped his BWB for a Red Hartebeest. Most outfitters "packaged" hunts offer a considerable savings over the "roll your own" plus daily rates.

We also used a spread sheet with a fixed number of dollars to see what each of us might take if the opportunity presented itself. If you and your wife are hunting separately, you can also swap amongst yourselves depending on what the Bush offers you. Remember that you have to cover the VAT, tips, taxidermy work, shipping (multiple times) and import fees once the hunting is completed. These added costs can easily double what you spent on the actual Safari.

I second, third or fourth the comment that regardless of your current thoughts on the matter, that after the hunt you will be planning a return trip.

We were given a price list to build our own "package". Some of the best prices on nearly every species!

Check out their website to see if they offer any hunt packages. Most outfitters do. Buying one of their packages if offered will be a cheaper way to go.

I looked at their web site, make to you have an understanding regarding animal size. I saw Kudu listed in three different sizes and sable in two sizes. You want to know who is responsible for size errors, based on what you want to spend. In other words if the PH says its good and the animal goes over the inches you purchased who is responsible for the error. If it's you, that could blow your budget.

I looked at their web site, make to you have an understanding regarding animal size. I saw Kudu listed in three different sizes and sable in two sizes. You want to know who is responsible for size errors, based on what you want to spend. In other words if the PH says its good and the animal goes over the inches you purchased who is responsible for the error. If it's you, that could blow your budget.

Yes sir, you don't want to but me in charge of determining size LOL

Fastest growing thread Ive seen in a long time !
You have really hit a problem with all hunts in Africa .
I dont believe you when you say it will be your one and only trip to Africa !!!!
We all said that . Get real .!!
After the first few days you will be trying to workout how you can do a second trip !!
Forget your Sable , thats a trip on its own with TMS or someone similar .
There expensive , alright .
Go and shoot as much as you can afford and double that .
I did and most of us did .
Do some culling , just keep the barrel hot !!!
Im not wealthy buddy by any means but I shot 26 animals on my first trip .
Budgeted for 9 max .
Paid it all off with the bank now , happy as !
I could be dead tomorrow !
Just enjoy it all fk the expenses !
Cheers Dory .:W Revolver::V Bangin:

Good point !!!
Im trying to organise a hunt as we speak !
I will not hunt with anyone who charges for different size trophies !!!!!
Never !!
What you get is what you get .
Bugger them .
Have they brought them in or are they being greedy ?????

Josh, I think @dory is right and you should drop the Sable for the next trip. There will be one.
I think Sable are one of those animals that need to be hunted in big open spaces. (Moz. Zam. Zim)
Make sure you hunt a kudu in the hills. (better than sex)
As for the other species, take it as it comes but do have a priority list.

Josh, I think @dory is right and you should drop the Sable for the next trip. There will be one.
I think Sable are one of those animals that need to be hunted in big open spaces. (Moz. Zam. Zim)
Make sure you hunt a kudu in the hills. (better than sex)
As for the other species, take it as it comes but do have a priority list.
Better than sex ah !!!
Yip your on to it !!
Dont tell the wife !!!!!
Love it .

Thanks, ill give you a better idea of my current situation...
Here is my most up to date list...

Wife: Zebra, Blesbuck, Impala.

Myself: Baboon, Warthog, Kudu, Gemsbuck, Blue Wildebeest, Impala, Porcupine

These animals fit my budget perfectly, but I've talked my parents into booking with us also, so my father will be targeting some of the same species. (plus Giraffe & Eland)
Do I drop the Kudu for a beautiful Nyala since my dad is also targeting Kudu, or drop the Gemsbuck and Blue for a Waterbuck?

Or drop them all and target a Sable? (please don't encourage this)

Since you are bow hunting we all know you have to take what you can get. I would take a Nyala over a Kudu but that's easy for me to say having taken many Kudu and still dreaming of an Nyala! My point being you can get a Kudu most anywhere and Nyala are more regional. I understand that if you are sitting in a blind and a big Sable comes in then what... you must go with your heart on that one.
As far as the list goes you must tell your PH what you are after so he can plan accordingly. Make it clear to him you are flexible but this is your list....
Regards,
Philip

Josh,
I have only hunted in Africa twice. But, what I told both PH's is - here is my 1st priority, 2nd priority, and 3rd priority. Different animals live in different areas and the PHs know where they tend to be - even in the wild open spaces. I was also more than willing to take 2nd and 3rd priority if they came along first. So, be a bit flexible and enjoy the experience - it is awesome.

John

I left for my safari wanting a kudu and my wife was excited about a gemsbok. Everything else would be as it presented itself. We came home with a kudu, sable, zebra, impala, and blue wildbeest. The gemsbok was paid for just not brought home.(Ill let HER tell that story). My point is that if you have something in mind and are flexible with your budget on other animals I would not worry about it too much. Enjoy the time hunting. I was willing to sacrifice everything for a kudu, just so happens I did not have to. I did not kill the kudu til the next to last day. Made it very interesting.

Josh, I'd ask, prices be damned, what are the naturally reproducing, indigenous game that you will be near with Limcroma.

If they state they have some of the rarer members of the "Tiny 10" or some of the less common stuff, you might consider hunting one of those animals. There will be many opportunities on future hunts for an impala or a springbok but there may not be many places to find suni, klipspringer, giraffe, grysbok, tsessebe, sitatunga, reedboks, etc. Consider hunting at least one animal found only in the region in which you are hunting.

Also, have a great time, you're going to really enjoy the experience if the anxiety of "getting all the animals" can be overcome.

Also, make sure to bring a shotgun. Hunting Francolin and Sand Grouse is an amazing experience and it baffles me why more hunters don't bring a shotgun for birds. People in the UK will pay 25,000 pounds for a weekend shooting driven red grouse but people won't shoot the equally challenging Sand Grouse at dusk in Africa when its free or close to it? Does not compute.

By all means have a wish list and a budget, but be open minded about it. As an example both you and your father have kudu on your list. You mentioned maybe wanting to exchange yours for a Nyala. You may go out first morning and have a chance on a 52"+Kudu, pass it up as you decided to let your father shoot a kudu and you will shoot a nyala, and never see another kudu shooter while their.
Rather take what the bush gives you and then fine tune your wish list as the hunt progresses.

Looks like you have enough definites already. Remember it is hunting and not shopping, so if a good trophy presents itself be prepared to take it or pass up, bearing in mind you may not see it again if passed up.

Main thing go and have fun and enjoy it, do not place too much emphasis on "the list", this will sort itself out once your hunt begins.

Good luck, have fun and enjoy!

I think I need to try hunting another kudu in the hills... :whistle::whistle:

I take a slightly different approach than the "go with the flow".

I say stick to whatever personality you have. If you can go with the flow, fine. If you're a planner and want to plan your entire list out, I would let the company/PH know that. You'd be driven crazy otherwise.

This is your first hunt in Africa, so I would advise you to have a wish list, but then be flexible about it and take any good opportunity that arises within your budget. There will be other hunts.

As you take more species, then yes, you get more specific and target animals in different regions.

Then as in my case, you will sadly come to the point where you have to take a tape measure to find out wether the animal you want fits in the remaining wall space of your home :E Cry:.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg