How do you afford Africa?

My reply is within the quote
Sounds like you are being very reasonable.

@rookhawk offers very great advice, most of which you seem to do great at.

My way was to work hard and as smart as possible but for myself. I was never good at "saving" because there are always better options. So I re-invested heavily. Borrowed money always went into business first. Took a long time before I borrowed for a really nice house and then just for the solid base, waiting for frills like expensive flooring until more recently.

The biggest thing is you need to "pay your dues"... as Loretta Lynn put it;) Young guys need to be patient. Although I freely admit I was way to patient waiting until I was 50 before my first trip. But when I did go, my budget was as open as I wanted it to be.

As for extra money making ideas, through the years I've done a lot including scrapping out junk cars, first was when I was 8 years old. Selling sweet corn roadside, started at 9. Pedding firewood in the Twin Cities door to door through high school, not sure how many 16 year olds would spend their winters cutting and splitting wood all week after school, skip out at noon on Fridays and drive 100 miles each way then do it again on Saturday and Sunday.... or be allowed too! But I usually deposited $1000 in the bank Monday morning.. In the late 70's and early 80's. I don't think mom and Dad realized I was probably making more than them;) I had a classmate who ran a trap line throughout jr and senior high and made real decent money.

When the economy tanked because of the housing crisis I bought houses, flipped 6 in a year and a half, still renting 3. At that time flipping houses was a nice $100,000 per year bonus for nights and weekends.

One brother started trimming trees and jockeying hay at a young age. The other had a Chevy Luv pickup he'd drive to the Cities and would rent things like a lawn aerator or stump grinder and go door to door. He could clear $300 cash in a day, again many years ago....

Once the big things paid for then you can save for hunts and be ahead of the pack

I haven’t been to Africa but I have been dreaming about it and have a plan. I drive a Prius to work, paid $6 k for it and will drive it until it breaks. Bought a suburban and the payment is kicking butt now but hopefully 4 years from now it will be paid off and my wife will drive it until it breaks. (She only puts 6 k miles a year on average on it) School loans, mortgage, power, satellite, WiFi, land payment, credit cards, etc. most of my higher bills will be paid off in 4-5 years. Then I can really set some money aside for a while but for now I get $50/wk direct deposited into the “hunting fund”. I also started a club on my property and have 1 member and I use his dues for corn, planting, cameras, stands, etc so that I don’t have to pay it out of pocket. I guess I have too many different places I want to go though because I generally go in a duck hunt in Arkansas every two years and I turkey hunt out of state every other year. I now buy pref points for antelope, deer, and elk so that eventually I can go out west. I find that it’s a lot easier to save hunt money by direct depositing money into a savings account that you don’t notice. But anyway Africa is my dream and I am planning to go 2025 or so. Even if I have to take out a 401 k loan, I am going at that point. But I hope to deposit more and more money each year into savings so I don’t have to do that. It is what is.... I am 36 now but dang it by 41 I will have my safari booked. The good news is that I know what animals I want and where I am going to hunt. I know about how much I am going to spend and i ain’t flying all the way over there to skimp on animals. When I go it’s going to be atleast for 10 days and for atleast 10 animals if I can and I am getting them all shoulder mounted. In the meantime I am planning on spending some spare time learning taxidermy. Contemplating hanging out at the local taxidermist shop a few days a week so I can learn...we will see how that goes cause taxidermy work is pricey. Think I have rambled enough.....lol

I haven’t been to Africa but I have been dreaming about it and have a plan. I drive a Prius to work, paid $6 k for it and will drive it until it breaks. Bought a suburban and the payment is kicking butt now but hopefully 4 years from now it will be paid off and my wife will drive it until it breaks. (She only puts 6 k miles a year on average on it) School loans, mortgage, power, satellite, WiFi, land payment, credit cards, etc. most of my higher bills will be paid off in 4-5 years. Then I can really set some money aside for a while but for now I get $50/wk direct deposited into the “hunting fund”. I also started a club on my property and have 1 member and I use his dues for corn, planting, cameras, stands, etc so that I don’t have to pay it out of pocket. I guess I have too many different places I want to go though because I generally go in a duck hunt in Arkansas every two years and I turkey hunt out of state every other year. I now buy pref points for antelope, deer, and elk so that eventually I can go out west. I find that it’s a lot easier to save hunt money by direct depositing money into a savings account that you don’t notice. But anyway Africa is my dream and I am planning to go 2025 or so. Even if I have to take out a 401 k loan, I am going at that point. But I hope to deposit more and more money each year into savings so I don’t have to do that. It is what is.... I am 36 now but dang it by 41 I will have my safari booked. The good news is that I know what animals I want and where I am going to hunt. I know about how much I am going to spend and i ain’t flying all the way over there to skimp on animals. When I go it’s going to be atleast for 10 days and for atleast 10 animals if I can and I am getting them all shoulder mounted. In the meantime I am planning on spending some spare time learning taxidermy. Contemplating hanging out at the local taxidermist shop a few days a week so I can learn...we will see how that goes cause taxidermy work is pricey. Think I have rambled enough.....lol

Sounds like you have a great plan! It is the experience of a life time! I am 47 and see a lot of you in my past. I have a grand slam and a world slam, not in the same year.
But turkey hunting will always be my favorite hunting. I hope to return to Africa but cant be certain. The best advise I can give you is share your passion with your children,
if you have any and find a buddy to share it with if not. I have hunted my entire life and all of my greatest memories include a hunting buddy!

I have been turkey hunting 25 years. Grand slam is on my to do list. Lol. I have a 9 year old daughter that killed her first turkey last year. Have a 2 year old son that knows about every animal sound.lol
Hunting with buddies and family is very special to me. My wife has absolutely no interest in hunting or going to Africa. Hopefully when I go I can convince a buddy to join me. Those buddy hunts for turkey and duck and deer and everything else are always the ones I remember the best.

I have been turkey hunting 25 years. Grand slam is on my to do list. Lol. I have a 9 year old daughter that killed her first turkey last year. Have a 2 year old son that knows about every animal sound.lol
Hunting with buddies and family is very special to me. My wife has absolutely no interest in hunting or going to Africa. Hopefully when I go I can convince a buddy to join me. Those buddy hunts for turkey and duck and deer and everything else are always the ones I remember the best.

sorry not very computer literate. That's my baby two years running with good turkeys! we hunted three years in a row with no success for her but she stayed with it and now really appreciates the outdoors!!!

sorry not very computer literate. That's my baby two years running with good turkeys! we hunted three years in a row with no success for her but she stayed with it and now really appreciates the outdoors!!!

Nice Birds! I hope my daughter can pull the trigger again youth day. I got a Mac daddy stud 7 year old longbeard on my place. And when I say 7 year old it’s no pun intended cause he been on camera since I bought the place 5 years ago! Got a pic of him this past Tuesday.....

C89E2E72-8BD5-41E0-BB77-AAF6AEBF0FC1.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm 51 and will be making my first trip in 2021. I could've gone sooner but got distracted by alaska and other places. Didn't realize the value of an African hunt.
I started really hunting away from home at about 44 years old. My kids are grown and I have very few expenses. I work tons ot and save very well.
I could hunt better animals but I won't go without my son. He can't afford it right now as like you he's young and with a10 month old son of his own. So I save double and pay for most of him as well.
No hunt no matter how grand is as enjoyable without him hunting with me.
Anyway the only plan I've used beyond what others have said is basing but bills on a standard 4 week month. I get paid weekly but every 3rd month has 5 paydays the way the calendar falls.
So 4 times a year is an extra payday not needed for the bills. All saved

It is just like everything else in life. Priorities, expectations and resolve. Assuming one has a decent job and not overburdened with debt Africa hunting is very doable for just about anybody. Plains game hunts in RSA are dirt cheap and still give the African experience. Then, cost goes up from there as expectations rise (e.g. Big 5 etc.).

Balance is key, I think you can save your life away and waiting for one day to come. Dont be scared of some debt, as an old sheep hunter told me, you will run out of health long before you run out of money.

Just got news that a friend of mine has brain cancer, way way way too young, I dont think she is even 40.

Dont take anything for granted, or think you can do something next year, if you really want to do it, do it. You will remember Africa far longer than you will remember paying off your car.

Making my 2nd trip soon. As others for the budget, $150 a month goes a long way and hunting off peak season will save you airfare, got US to Jburg round trip $715 US, there is a peak, shoulder and off travel times and rates reflect that. Also, great deals on here, this site is where I booked my last trip. Headed out next week. Age helps as well to get finances in order, family first but small things add up to saving money for the fire we all have inside to go.

Make a discipline of saving all $1 bills and if you can $5 bills. Put the money in an envelope and go to the bank and swap small bills for $100 bills. When you get windfalls, put the windfall, or X% of windfall, into your hunting account. You can keep the money in your gun cabinet. You will be stunned how quickly this adds up. Also, if your bank permits, participate in programs that round up all purchases and put the amount in a savings account. If you have an appetite for some risk, invest the money in interest-bearing accounts - think 2% or so. If you have more of a risk management mind set, you can earn far more with active management of your funds. If you do any of the latter, you will be headed to Africa or anyplace you desire more often than you can imagine.

You’ve gotten some good advice here. Save save save and set a goal. I was 35 before I was able to make my first trip to Africa. Now I’m a couple months shy of 40 and it’s looking like my 2nd trip will be in September provides no more unforeseen disasters happen. I save every penny I can every where I can and do without things I would like to have and do so I can try and make it happen. It can be frustrating and you get discouraged when you almost have enough for the deposit or airfare or whatever and your washing machine shits the bed and floods the house setting you back 6 months but....... in the end if you stay dedicated you make it happen.

Making my 2nd trip soon. As others for the budget, $150 a month goes a long way and hunting off peak season will save you airfare, got US to Jburg round trip $715 US, there is a peak, shoulder and off travel times and rates reflect that. Also, great deals on here, this site is where I booked my last trip. Headed out next week. Age helps as well to get finances in order, family first but small things add up to saving money for the fire we all have inside to go.
hey what airline and where are you flying out of? I’m getting ready to book my ticket ASAP

Both Qatar and Emeriates have some good prices right now out of DFW to JNB..

Qatar was $1080 for July dates and Emeriates was $1150 a couple of days ago (economy)...

This thread was a really great and informative read for me. My wife and I attend the Great American Outdoor Show pretty much every year so we're current on prices. Sure Africa is expensive but it's also great value in my opinion. The airfare scares a lot of people, I know it's a bit grueling to fly to Johannesburg and then even further to your destination. We saw more game in Africa then anywhere else we've been.

Have you ever looked at what it costs for a nice guided trip to hunt in Alaska with a master guide? Well I'll tell you it's as much or more than we spent on our Africa trip.

Hunting is expensive pretty much anywhere you go we've found. For example, my wife and I paid $1000/night (for the both of us) for a night thermal hog hunt in Georgia USA. That didn't include travel and lodging. Sounds expensive until you realize they supplied the guns, ammo, thermal sights, van with thermal optics and an absolutely fabulous guide.*

Just my 2 cents.

*EDIT: plus we got to keep the hog meat!!!

Gizmo, IAH to Doha to JBG. Mid Feb was $660 by the time I booked $715 economy.

Qatar Airways

for an aussie, its a damn sight cheaper than any other international hunting.

you can do unguided in NZ for less than Africa, but its very hit and miss, if youve never been there before, and know of plenty of blokes who've spent heaps going back multiple times unguided, to still be empty handed. NZ guided is crazy exe for something so close

otherwise, Europe or US hunting is astronomical compared to Africa.

I did Namibia last year, 8 days, 7 animals, flights, taxidermy, everything, for the same cost as my 2020 canada black bear hunt will end up costing all inclusive.

switch to elk/brown bear/moose etc, they are unaffordable, sheep are laughable

Africa offers excellent value for money hunting, at least for us Aussies. I run a small garage business that makes enough to get me a cheapish hunt about every 2 years. after my Canadian trip, ill be heading back to Africa again

Even Water Buff or decent Rusa here in Aus is more expensive than a week in Africa
Out of curiosity where in Canada did you book ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AshleyOyi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg