How do you afford Africa?

Thank you; I tent to think she's pretty amazing as well.

Actually, the game plan was for her to go as an observer. However, back surgery put a halt to that. She's fine, but the recovery long. That's another reason I'm hoping for a second trip: so that she gets to go along.
Tundra
I feel for her I know what it's like to have a stuffed back
Hopefully all will be well soon and she can go to.
Cheers
Bob

Im still saving to make my first trip and im hoping to make it happen next year, 2 relatives have mentioned that they would be interested in coming as observers and do some touristy stuff while im at camp looking for plains game. Looking at namibia and have been talking to a few outfitters but if someone has a lead on a good operation im all ears. I try to put a certain amount of money into my "hunting account" each month and it is adding up haha.

What's considered an average temp in the hot time of year?
I hunted in the Omay (Zim) on Lake Kariba in November. It was so hot and humid thatat night I was forced to sleep either in bed covered by a wet towel, or, in the bath with the shower running.

Day time temperatures were unbelievably hot!! On one day's hunt, we'd been hunting for hours and I'd shouldered my rifle, using my right hand to steady the butt as I walked along. After some time I noticed I no longer had sensation in my hand. Looking down I saw that my whole right forearm and hand had become alarmingly swollen!! My forearm and hand was purplish-red and like a balloon!! I recognised the possible first signs of "compartment syndrome" (I'm a nurse, not a doc - so can't diagnose), so I stopped under a tree put my right hand up above my head and allowed gravity to drain the blood. ALL was good after an hour or so.

Later, in that hunt my Dakota hiking boots melted apart due to the heat! The trackers fixed them by making an awl and stripping the steel wire from inside an old tyre and re-stitching them together - 8yrs later I'm still using those same boots!!

Africa can be unforgiving.

Im still saving to make my first trip and im hoping to make it happen next year, 2 relatives have mentioned that they would be interested in coming as observers and do some touristy stuff while im at camp looking for plains game. Looking at namibia and have been talking to a few outfitters but if someone has a lead on a good operation im all ears. I try to put a certain amount of money into my "hunting account" each month and it is adding up haha.
Give Terry Fenn of Chinanga Safaris in Bulawayo a call. He's a damn good PH and can get in to prime areas in Zambia too - a country which has still has masses of game!! I saw herds (Yes! Plural!) of buff 700 strong!! Best of luck! (y)

First, get yourself a good financial planner. I don't mean a stockbroker or anyone else who works on commission, but a fee-based financial planner. It is imperative that you have a clear financial picture of where you are, where you want to be in the years to come and a succinct roadmap for getting there. Let the planner know you are interested in taking trips to Africa every several years and see how that impacts your savings.

Your family comes first. No other if's, and's or but's. I raised two kids, paid for 14 years of private school, sent them to college without any debt and retired with a substantial net worth and I'm just now taking my first safari. Safaris are luxuries - not necessities. When you have paid off all of your debt, have 6-12 months of living expenses saved and have a few excess dollars laying around, then you can think about spending it on yourself.

May sound harsh, but you'll sleep better at night knowing you're not overextended and if you lost your job you and your family would still be OK.

You'll get there. It may take some time but it will make the trip that much sweeter!
This!!! Same situation. Im 51 and just going for my first time. House, cars, all business equipment paid for. No debt. All childrens weddings and college paid for. Tons of money in the bank. I am now comfortable going.

This!!! Same situation. Im 51 and just going for my first time. House, cars, all business equipment paid for. No debt. All childrens weddings and college paid for. Tons of money in the bank. I am now comfortable going.
Yes, that's right. It's about priorities. Of you are wealthy through good luck or good management then great but for the average person most things are possible if you work for it and decide what is priority.

@cjcorlis , this was all sounding good, then I realised there is likely a marriage on the horizon.

The theme of all the good advice on this thread:

”worry about the pennies, the dollars will take care of themselves”

Be frugal every day to save $10 and the average middle class guy can buy or do about anything they want.

Read the book “The millionaire next door” for great insights.

G'day all,

Like many I want to get to africa to hunt after developing a love from books and stories read over the year.

I read lots of hunting books as a kid (never had interest in kids books) but one book my dad bought me when I was maybe 13 that had all types of africa hunting in it struck me. I loved it thoroughly but despite the big five, mrs grey lechwe, sitatunga, bongo and all the other great animals i read of I fell especially in love with LDE. Now a hunt for them is probably the same as my annual salary but their more common cousin down south is something I've dreamt of for years as a substitute.

I'm 28, married with a 10 month old hopefully more to come, a mortgage for our house on 2 acres outside a small town and a loan from my university days (almost got it paid off!).

I've never been one to bathe in the limelight so I've never had a birthday party in my life. My wife (then girlfriend) tried to organise a 21st party years ago. I refused and instead did a hunting trip and managed to shoot at the time my pb fallow, beautiful white buck (around 225DS for fellow aussie hunters). That was a worthwhile birthday celebration to me. My next goal is to do a special hunt for my 30th birthday 2021.

My choice is between a buffalo hunt in NT, diy hunt in the states or an African hunt. I couldn't afford a buffalo hunt in NT plain and simple, I'm just getting into the points game this year so doubt I'll have enough points to draw a good rifle mule deer unit in USA so that leaves Africa for an eland foot hunt.

I know there are fellas on here who have big budgets and I'm grateful to read their hunting stories but I'm interested in hearing from the guys in similar situations to me on how they afford africa

Do guys in a position like me take on a second job, budget differently on some things, forcibly take money out each pay, something else?

Appreciate any advice.

Cheers
Here is what I personally do. I work backwards. For example I select the hunt with animals I want. I factor in tip and travel to get my total. I simply divide that amount over the time between hunts. I go to Africa every other year so my total divided by 24 months will surprise you. For example you can find. PG hunt for 5 great animals many places on her for $5,000. $500 for tips with $1,800 for travel $200 for emergency insurance gives you a total of $7,500. Over 24 months I put away 300 per month and that’s how I do it

The theme of all the good advice on this thread:

”worry about the pennies, the dollars will take care of themselves”

Be frugal every day to save $10 and the average middle class guy can buy or do about anything they want.

Read the book “The millionaire next door” for great insights.
My college professor and mentor who wrote that book is Dr Tom Stanly

I’m in the same spot as Red Leg, family comes first. Our kids were out of college, the house was paid off, and the money was truly disposable income before I went for the first time. Perhaps I waited too long, but that’s where my priorities are.
I am in the same boat. My first Africa hunt came after I became an empty nester with both my childrens great college education completely paid off and only owe for my home which we downsized to and have a ton of equity in fairly new cars paid off. Yet I still budget a little at a time after setting up my hunt plan I outlined in an earlier post

Remember what Smokey the Bear said, "Only you can prevent forest fires". Well, only YOU can truly decide what to pursue or not. All work and no play make Jack a Dull boy! Don't give up on the dream, you are too young for that. How I wish I was only 47 again! You will turn around and be 60 before you know it.
Hey 60 is the new 40

Well my first trip kinda came as the result of covid lol. I work in a machine shop and it slowed down enough to lay me off for about ten weeks during the initial outbreak bullshit. The government saw fit to give me about $950 a week and didn't take taxes out of it. With all the bars shut down I was forced to save the money and voila , my first trip is paid for lol. (Well I think I've paid enough taxes to justify them giving some of it back)

G'day all,

Like many I want to get to africa to hunt after developing a love from books and stories read over the year.

I read lots of hunting books as a kid (never had interest in kids books) but one book my dad bought me when I was maybe 13 that had all types of africa hunting in it struck me. I loved it thoroughly but despite the big five, mrs grey lechwe, sitatunga, bongo and all the other great animals i read of I fell especially in love with LDE. Now a hunt for them is probably the same as my annual salary but their more common cousin down south is something I've dreamt of for years as a substitute.

I'm 28, married with a 10 month old hopefully more to come, a mortgage for our house on 2 acres outside a small town and a loan from my university days (almost got it paid off!).

I've never been one to bathe in the limelight so I've never had a birthday party in my life. My wife (then girlfriend) tried to organise a 21st party years ago. I refused and instead did a hunting trip and managed to shoot at the time my pb fallow, beautiful white buck (around 225DS for fellow aussie hunters). That was a worthwhile birthday celebration to me. My next goal is to do a special hunt for my 30th birthday 2021.

My choice is between a buffalo hunt in NT, diy hunt in the states or an African hunt. I couldn't afford a buffalo hunt in NT plain and simple, I'm just getting into the points game this year so doubt I'll have enough points to draw a good rifle mule deer unit in USA so that leaves Africa for an eland foot hunt.

I know there are fellas on here who have big budgets and I'm grateful to read their hunting stories but I'm interested in hearing from the guys in similar situations to me on how they afford africa

Do guys in a position like me take on a second job, budget differently on some things, forcibly take money out each pay, something else?

Appreciate any advice.

Cheers
An excellent place to start is SCI. There are 1000s of hunts donated each year to the local chapters and many of these hunts are auctioned off for very good prices. Another thing I do is accumulate airline mileage credits. I use these to pay for my airline tickets. I charge everything to my credit cards including monthly utility bills, car insurance college tuition for my daughter, and all food and gas purchases. The miles will add up fast.

As far as working a second job I suggest you start a small side business. A lot of my friends use the income from this to pay for all of their hunting trips.
Good luck.

An excellent place to start is SCI. There are 1000s of hunts donated each year to the local chapters and many of these hunts are auctioned off for very good prices. Another thing I do is accumulate airline mileage credits. I use these to pay for my airline tickets. I charge everything to my credit cards including monthly utility bills, car insurance college tuition for my daughter, and all food and gas purchases. The miles will add up fast.

As far as working a second job I suggest you start a small side business. A lot of my friends use the income from this to pay for all of their hunting trips.
Good luck.

I personally would stay away from any and all auctioned hunts along with hunts that are offered in a raffle.

Stick around here for a while and you will hear stories that might curl your toes about the problems that come up with these hunts. I won't say that they are all bad but you can find a lot better hunt for just a bit more than those hunts if you do some homework.

I have found that a man can go long periods of time not spending money on frivolous things such as food, clothing and gifts for the wife. That money is much better spent on large caliber rifles, optics and ammo. Instead of 18 year old scotch, buy 12! Does the wife really need a nice car when a bicycle with a cart behind it will haul all the groceries home just fine? Bring the bride to your barber, mine costs 12 bucks, the honey badger spends 200 every 2 months or so! That’s 1200 per year or airfare to Joberg!
Certainly I am joking! Set your goal, book your trip and work your butt off, you will be there before you know it!
Cheers,
Cody

I take you are not married anymore :) :ROFLMAO:

My wife actually encourages me to go hunting ... maybe I should wonder why :unsure::oops:

G'day all,

Appreciate any advice.

Cheers

A wise financial guy once told me that "It's not how much you make, it's how much you keep."

Not that I encourage more credit card debt, but get a CC where you can earn points on what you spend. A Cabelas card will let you earn points to buy hunting stuff with. An airline card will do the same.

If you can do direct deposit at work, take out $25-$50/pay check and have it deposited in an account where you have no checking or bank withdrawal card.

Nobody needs a $7 cup of starbucks coffee, ordering out food all the time, a $1000 cell phone.

Try reading the book ... "The Millionaire Next Door" some good perspective on living below your means and how to build financial success.

Saving money is a discipline and once you develop the habitat, you are in a better position to achieve your goals.

I live within/ below my means, drive older cars, don't drink $10 coffees, am happy eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for lunch, don't buy a new bow every other year, etc...Have zero debt but mortgage. It's all about priorities in life. I never cut my kids or wife short, but I'll double question it before buying something for myself.

With that being said, Im a big believer in doing a trip as soon as you can, because you never know when you're health won't allow it. You can make more money, but that money won't allow you to buy time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaI60135

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!