Hornady seating stem

francois_458

AH member
Joined
Apr 15, 2017
Messages
31
Reaction score
38
Location
Limpopo
Hunted
South Africa, Mozambique
Good day all
I have previously loaded nosler 140gr ballistic tip bullets for my 6.5x55 using lee dies. I tjen switched over to 130gr rdfs and got new Hornady custom grade dies. The first few rounds I loaded went fine, the the other day I loaded 10 additional round. These last 10 I noticed that the tips of my bullets were being slightly flattened during the seating process. Does hornady make a seating stem that would accommodate 130gr vld style bullets?

TIA
 
In the past I have used 6mm seating steams to allow for this problem. Hornady does make seating stems for their A tip line of bullets that are very sleek. If you happen to a 6mm seating die you can borrow the stem out of to try. I would start with that, some 7mm stems will work also. The 7mm class of bullets seem to need alot of clearance do to their high BC bullets.
 
In the past I have used 6mm seating steams to allow for this problem. Hornady does make seating stems for their A tip line of bullets that are very sleek. If you happen to a 6mm seating die you can borrow the stem out of to try. I would start with that, some 7mm stems will work also. The 7mm class of bullets seem to need alot of clearance do to their high BC bullets.
Thanks
I will see want I can get my hands on
I was pretty happy with the seating stem on the lee dies, but was just not able to get anny consistency in my seating depth
I've got a good friend with 6mm dies, perhaps I'll try his seating stem
 
So I've not yet been able to get my hands on a different stem (working on it), but was wondering wat impact the slightly flattened tips would have on poi?

20240407_190825.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
If you have a vise just drill out the seating stem.
 
You are basically closing the tip. Good chance that it will not open up. It will change the BC some. I'm sure it will be minimal, when point bullets, we would see 1/2 moa at 1k.
 
Good day all
I have previously loaded nosler 140gr ballistic tip bullets for my 6.5x55 using lee dies. I tjen switched over to 130gr rdfs and got new Hornady custom grade dies. The first few rounds I loaded went fine, the the other day I loaded 10 additional round. These last 10 I noticed that the tips of my bullets were being slightly flattened during the seating process. Does hornady make a seating stem that would accommodate 130gr vld style bullets?

TIA
Yes Hornady do have seating stems for their 6.5 VLD BULLETS they are on their web site
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,300
Messages
1,572,090
Members
169,493
Latest member
CortneyRen
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top