Hollywood PR Firm Will NOT Defend Botswana’s Proposal to Allow Elephant Hunting

Bailey Vinac

AH member
Reaction score
Articles
Source: https://www.prweek.com/article/1586209/42west-drops-botswana-elephant-policy-account

No one can figure this out. Reports circulated starting almost a week ago that Hollywood PR firm 42 West had taken on the country of Botswana as a client specifically to defend their new law allowing elephant hunting. According to reports, they were being paid a pittance to do this dirty work: $125,000.

But now I am told exclusively by sources that 42 West did not sign on to do any such thing. And they will exit an agreement that was called “misunderstood” by those I spoke to.

Indeed, I can’t imagine 42 West’s Leslee Dart agreeing to do such a thing. She’s an animal activist. So are are clients like Meryl Streep and Nicole Kidman. They would have cows (just an expression) if such a thing happened. In 2014 Streep called the sale of ivory a “product of horrific cruelty to elephants, who could very well become extinct within decades if we don’t act now.”

Ironically, Streep and Kidman will be on a red carpet tonight for HBO’s “Big Little Lies.” The timing couldn’t be worse.

According to the Associated Press five days ago, 42 West had filed as a foreign agent to represent Botswana for developing talking points and a communications plan that “articulates Botswana’s policy on elephant hunting” that will be delivered to “key U.S. and other Western audiences.”

But my sources say the almost instantaneous blowback made the firm realize it could not fulfill the agreement. I’m told it will be nullified within a day or so.

Botswana is home to the largest elephant population of any country– about 130,000. Elephant hunting was prohibited. It was literally a safe place for this endangered, beloved species.

But recently the country gave in and proposed a change to the law that would elephants to be prey to big game hunters. Their goal is not just in the sick glee of murdering a defenseless animal. They’re after the ivory tusks, which are worth millions.

I’ve visited Botswana twice. When they announced this new plan I wrote on Twitter, to them, that I was horrified. Any thinking person would be. And I say this also in the memory of Mark Shand, the late brother of Camilla Parker Bowles, who devoted his life to rescuing elephants. All sport hunting should be banned, in my opinion, especially in Africa where all species– including ours– are endangered.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-01 at 8.53.55 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-01 at 8.53.55 AM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 95
  • Screen Shot 2019-06-01 at 8.53.57 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-01 at 8.53.57 AM.png
    1 MB · Views: 88
  • Screen Shot 2019-06-01 at 8.53.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-01 at 8.53.59 AM.png
    629.4 KB · Views: 98
This post may take the prize for the most arrant nonsense in a single post by anyone on AfricaHunting.com, ever. But we have to start somewhere, so here goes.

Botswana is home to the largest elephant population of any country– about 130,000. Elephant hunting was prohibited. It was literally a safe place for this endangered, beloved species.

The first statement is true. Elephant hunting was not prohibited. There was a moratorium put on hunting, including elephant hunting. There was no discussion at the time that this would be permanent.

Was Botswana a "safe place"? Well, it was certainly safer for elephants than it was for those who have to live alongside them. I assume that Bailey Vinac does not live beside such animals . . . nor do I expect he would want to. I note that a Botswana minister recently offered to send some elephants to the UK, provided they were allowed to roam freely. He was not taken up on his offer. Can you imagine the outcry if elephants were let loose on the English countryside? And wandered into towns and villages, perhaps in search of a snack . . . on someone's thatched roof house?

As for the elephants, Mr. (?) Vinac might consider a few things. First, the carrying capacity of elephants in Botswana has been estimated by scientist to be around 54,000. There are now almost three times that (about 130,000). As they eat themselves out of house and home, they will effectively destroy any semblance of a balanced ecosystem, destroying not only their own future but that of so many other animals which have just as much right to exist as elephants. Elephants will then begin to die of starvation or thirst, or become easy targets for poachers. They won't be safe for long.

This enormous number of elephants has also resulted in an ever-increasing number of human-elephant conflicts. Apparently the only solution to these conflicts for this of Mr. Vinac's ilk is to say elephants win every time. Even if this made sense to you, even a simpleton can understand that people will address the matter in their own way if nothing is done to compensate them for the human and economic costs of excessive elephant populations. Are you prepared to provide funding to rural people in Botswana Mr. Vinac? No, I didn't think so.

Endangered? The African elephants is not endangered, at least not in southern Africa and certainly not in Botswana or Zimbabwe. The fact that elephants may have been extirpated in other countries has nothing to do with what's going on in Botswana. Mr. Varic might cast his eyes north, to Kenya, where elephant populations have declined dramatically, notwithstanding a complete ban on hunting in 1977. Kenya has less than one-third of the elephant population of Botswana, and it continues to decline.

Now, the best word of all. "Beloved." Beloved by whom, exactly? By Meryl Streep and Nicole Kidman? By people like these who live in bubbles where their every want is catered to instantly? Or by those who have to live with these behemoths? The answer is obvious. You and yours want to maintain Africa as a natural history museum for your pleasure while you live your lives of pampered luxury, at the expense of those who can least afford it. What does that make you, Mr. Vinac? Certainly not a humanitarian. Hunters are the true humanitarians, who are there, on the ground, creating employment and providing much needed protein to local populations. You and your ilk? You do nothing for these people.

Their goal is not just in the sick glee of murdering a defenseless animal. They’re after the ivory tusks, which are worth millions.

"Sick glee"? There may be people who feel that way when they hunt, but I certainly don't know of any. But if it makes you feel better to attribute those sorts of feeling to people you have likely never met, well, feel free. But don't fool yourself into thinking that you actually know how hunters feel.

The goal of (most) hunters - including me - is to challenge oneself against the elements and with some luck, find the right elephant to kill and succeed in doing so. The tusks are indeed a "trophy" in the sense of a reminder of the hunt. But you are happy to assume that hunters are only after the monetary value of the ivory. I know that you're aware (because you can't be a complete idiot, can you?) that none of us can legally trade in the ivory we take home, so the monetary value is completely irrelevant to us. We are law abiding people, Mr. Vinac. We have to be in order to own firearms and to hunt. So this comment is intended only to cast aspersions on a group of people, knowing as you do that it is entirely without foundation. Perhaps you will think before you close to slander an entire class of people? Actually, I doubt it. Truth and facts matter not a whit to you and those like you.

Let's be very clear. The scientists behind CITES who allocate quotas to different countries do so in a scientific way to ensure no decrease in overall local populations. Giving elephants an economic value gives local communities an incentive to live with these animals, rather than to actively or passively work with poachers who are more than happy to remove a risk to life and livelihood. Quotas are set at sustainable levels. It's likely that for every legally taken elephant, (many) more than one does not fall to poachers because those involved will protect their source of income. It's currently estimated that the elephant quota for the re-opened hunt will be about 400 per year. This will not make even a small dent in the population (so more besides hunting will need to be done, but that's for another day). I have no doubt whatsoever that losses to poaching will decline by more than 400 per year as a result of hunting alone.

I could go on, but I will end with just one more comment. Why not focus your efforts, Mr. Vinac, on those countries with declining elephant populations, such as Kenya? Wouldn't that make more sense than going after countries where populations are increasing? The elephant population in Botswana has been estimated by the government to have increased from 50,000 in 1991 to over 130,000 today. It did that without your "help." Or is it not the populations you care about, but just the hunting?

Perhaps we could start a thread about most uniformed posts on the site and use this one as a start? Just a thought . . .

@Hank2211 your post is spot on but your aim at @Bailey Vinac is off.

He just posted the article that was written by some idiot reporter named Thomas Moore.

https://www.prweek.com/author/5107/Thomas-Moore
I see that you're right @Royal27. It can happen, of course, just like it can happen that I'm wrong!

So I hereby apologize to @Bailey Vinac for letting the steam get in the way of my reading. If Wayne will let me, I could perhaps edit the reply to take his name out of it?

This revelation should not be a surprise as some of the points stated above denote reasons why a Hollywood PR firm might not wish to represent the interests of Botswana. To boot the paltry sum, in Hollywood terms, of $125,000 wasn’t going to go very far. One might say that amount could have been a small down payment for services to be rendered.

I see that you're right @Royal27. It can happen, of course, just like it can happen that I'm wrong!

So I hereby apologize to @Bailey Vinac for letting the steam get in the way of my reading. If Wayne will let me, I could perhaps edit the reply to take his name out of it?
I see how this could look confusing, and that I could have made it more clear the content was from the article. Like Royal27 has said, I just copied and pasted the article's text in, as a few people (myself included), has posted on the thread https://www.africahunting.com/threa...wood-firm-to-fight-elephant-hunting-pr.50647/, and this is an update. The article is extremely biased and has many incorrect statements in it, and your reply would be good for the author, Thomas Moore, or any anti-hunter who reads this. The statement I think that is especially stupid is the last one, that "where all species– including ours– are endangered", which obviously shows how little the author knows.

Thanks for the post. I suspected this would blow up in the PR firm's face. The thread mentioned animal right's activists including Nicole Kidman. Thought you might like to see one of her favorite recipes.......FWB

IMG_5168.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Almost forgot.........Meryl Streep's fav is "casserole roasted chicken with taragon"......hope these stars haven't denied any animals their due process.......................FWB

All I can say is...surprise surprise...... Was wondering when they would start back peddling ....and I do hope I get dinner invite from Nicole Kidman as that looks very tasty......I of course would take her a nice pair of ele hide boots as a gift to say thank you .....;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goldpatnners

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,