Hitlist Question

I was 49 before I did my first African trip...we've been 5 times and have a 6th trip planned for 2017. I got all that mountain stuff out of the way early...haha You have plenty of time!

Haha well you give me hope! I do hope to go back with the whole family when the kids are old enough to enjoy it but you know better than me how family trips out of the country add up quick!

If sheep hunting was cheaper, I'd be back to Africa sooner I'm sure haha. I've got the sheep bug BAD and without drawing, Dall is about the only semi affordable one to hunt of the mtn sheep.

I went in 2008 at 55 years of age to get hunting Africa out of my system. I am returning for my fifth safari in October - and God hep you when the buffalo bug bites. I would note, like North America, different parts of Africa have different native wildlife. Shooting that Nyala on some game ranches is akin to taking an elk on a Texas Hill Country game farm. Nothing wrong with it at all, but stalking an Nyala in, say, free range coastal Mozambique can be a very fulfilling hunt. Go. Enjoy the experience of taking any of those animals on those lists. You'll be back.

If sheep hunting was cheaper, I'd be back to Africa sooner I'm sure haha. I've got the sheep bug BAD and without drawing, Dall is about the only semi affordable one to hunt of the mtn sheep.

Ya when you compare the value of a sheep hunt to that of an African hunt...well there really is no comparison but I get the sheep bug. I've hunted them all over the world but, the good news is that you can hunt sheep in Africa in some pretty rugged mountains and they are free-range to boot...plus extremely affordable! The best of both worlds.

I assume you're talking Barbary? I've got that bug bad already haha. I live in NM. We have them freerange here. I've taken one good ewe so far in an OTC area and will be hunting rams in a draw area this Feb. One of my absolute favorite animals to hunt due to the sheer challenge of that hunt.

Ya when you compare the value of a sheep hunt to that of an African hunt...well there really is no comparison but I get the sheep bug. I've hunted them all over the world but, the good news is that you can hunt sheep in Africa in some pretty rugged mountains and they are free-range to boot...plus extremely affordable! The best of both worlds.

List A. Avoid the buffalo bug. I can only afford a safari once every five years because of it!

I like list "A" only because I have spiral horn fever.

@itsheets you might be my brother. The only reason I am not going to Africa in 2017 is because I finally saved enough money over the last 7 years to afford a Dall sheep hunt. I have had the sheep bug for 8 years and have been getting equipment and gear and studying draw odds, lol. My first trip to Africa was in 2015 and I told my wife it was the trip of a lifetime and I was not sure when I would go back...yeah 2nd trip was a year later.

I will disagree with many people here, I have hunted buffalo, I haven't killed one, but I have not been bitten by that bug. But don't hunt elephants, because you will never look at a broken branch the same way, and there is a just a constant longing to start following those tracks...

Well, are you going to make any more trips to Africa? If not, get as many animals as you can. I don't have an Nyala, but I want one, they make an awesome full body mount. (Where I would put that is another story.) They are on my list for next time along with Sable and Buffalo. I would like some other animals too, but I would also like to stay married, divorce can be rather expensive.

nyala.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Lucky you to go to Africa so young. I consider Africa an old man's hunt. I hauled out my 17th elk over 1 1/2 miles of deadfall last year at 69. I only carried 3 trips while my young buddy hauled 2 loads. Then in June I went on my first Africa hunt for plains game, mostly high fenced. The itch is now almost unbearable to return! Heading back in 2017.
I am now up to 12 years waiting on a big horn and mountain goat lottery in Colorado. Don't think I'll make it.
5 trips to Alaska including 3 hunts. Each cost about as much as a plains game hunt including airfare and taxidermy.
Each to his own, but at my age Africa is a blessing to get to hunt. You WILL go back once you have tasted it!

Best of luck while you're young on those sheep!

Ridgewalker, that post really humbled me. I'm very thankful to be going on this hunt. I was lucky to be convinced to bid on it at the RMEF banquet and then lucky to be in a position financially with a wife that also enjoys hunting so I can go.

I wish you all the best on your 2017 Safari and hope you stick around long enough to draw that goat and Bighorn tag!

Itsheets, wonderful to have a wife whom you can share your hunts with. Enjoy every minute of life you can...the good, the bad, all of it. We're only allowed so much time to enjoy it and the closer to the last moments, the sweeter it is! Don't waist an opportunity because it may be your last.

Get in the best shape possible for that sheep hunt!

I will do the best I can Risgewalker. Unfortunately she won't be joining me this trip bc she wants a 3rd baby and will likely be pregnant when I go. It gives me a good excuse to go back with the rest of the family to get the experience. We've elk hunted twice together so far and I wouldn't trade being out here with her for anything.

Go out with an open mind. Look at the animals and decide then. You will be surprised how you can get a liking for something that you never had at the top of your list. Just enjoy it!

I will pawprint. I still really appreciate and enjoy these discussions.

In my limited experience (only been to Africa once so far) I learned pretty quick to let mother Africa make the decision for you. Sure have a wish list but don't be surprised when that gets thrown out the window. You, as all of us have been will be there hunting something and an animal you never dreamed of wanting steps out and immediately fall in love with it. Take what she gives you, have a wish list but don't get too hung up on it to where you pass on something you later wish you hadn't. After all leaving without a wish list animal makes it more fun to go back. Just look at @Royal he's been eleventy dozen times and still hasn't gotten his bmfd. (Blue mother f#%*@$ duiker). But he keeps after it and he'll get one eventually, well maybe idk that may be a stretch. :p

Nyala was the reason I went to Africa the "first" time, hitlist A would be my choice

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois