Hitlist Question

ltsheets

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Ok guys and gals, I know I'm beating a dead horse but after watching a show last night where they were hunting Nyala, I'm second guessing taking them off my hitlist for my July safari. I went back into my budget and changed some things around to include Nyala again and wanted to see what you guys who have hunted these animals think about which hitlist I should go with? Note...springbuck and blessbuck are already included to they are on the list no matter what.

Hitlist A

Kudu, Nyala, Black Wildebeest, Impala, Springbuck, and Blessbuck

Hitlist B

Kudu, Black Wildebeest, Impala, Springbuck, Blessbuck, Hartebeest, and Reedbuck or Steenbuck

Lets here those opinions!

Thanks.

Nyala is my personal favorite of all the plains game so you know where I vote. I would say, can you spend the little extra and replace the blesbok with the hartebeest? I think they are a very underrated trophy.

I can't...blessbuck and springbuck were part of the donated package I got in an auction so those animals aren't "tradable."

I'd go with "Hitlist A" and not look back. You can't go wrong with that list of animals!

Hitlist A. If I didn't already have a Red Hartebeest, I'd trade it for the Black Wildebeest, but I do, so I'd stick with your list! Either way you can't go wrong!

I would say let the area help decide and if you think you will go back to Africa or not. The place you are going I had looked into and I don't know that nyala is one of there better quality animals in there area. If you see one you like take it but I would not just take one if I knew I was going back and hunting an area that is know for nyala.
Both list are good and I would go by what happens to be of better quality as I was hunting.

Nyala isn't one of their better ones as the PH said 24-25" is what to be expected with some bigger around. I think one of the reasons I'm considering adding them and taking others off to keep the budget in the same range is that the type of hunt an Nyala hunt is appeals to me and the overall beauty of the animal I love even if the horns are only ave for the species if that makes sense. I also don't know if I'll ever go back and I keep coming back to the spiral horns as my favorite.

I don't know the hunt there will be the same for nyala as you may have seen. It could be right what you want and if you see one you like take it. A big factor would be if you think your going back or not. If your not able to go back and to one of areas with better nyala then take one. I would take a nyala if I knew I was not going back even if the quality was a little smaller then avg.

Thanks billc. That's starting to be my line of thinking. If I ever go back, it will be for a Cape Buffalo as my primary and I don't know how often that lines up with Nyala. Plus I know Cape's are usually more expensive so it's likely it will be a hunt where I'm only taking that and maybe one other animal.

As a paid overthinker (professor) ... I think you are way overthinking this. It will become clear as soon as you see your first nyala or hartebeest! You will have to have it or you won't. I won't worry about what other people think about each list. My variable animal was a second kudu or a ..... black wildebeest or a blue wildebeest or even a cape eland. There was no hesitation once I saw the first kudu ... I was going to shot a second kudu and try like hell not to shoot a third (and if my daughter hadn't been there with me to tell on me, I probably would have!).

Good luck!

Well then I hope you find that perfect nyala and enjoy the hunt. Don't be afraid to pass on some the first few days as you look at other game. You will more then likely see them when after kudu and looking a few over will give you some idea what they have there.

Be warned after the hunt you will be doing everything in your power to go back. I hope you get to go back and chase a buff one day to.

I love nyala, just one of the prettiest there are. But a true Red HB trophy is also special. I'd encourage you to let the hunt tell you what to take. If the PH is going nuts over a Red, take it. If the a nice Nyala shows first, take it then.

Thanks guys...for some reason the Hartebeest hasn't "spoken" to me yet but I'll see how things go as I get closer and the time comes that I have to "reserve" an Nyala or not. They are a species he manages carefully so there is a quota per year. The hartebeest is a common animal so I don't have to decide with them early which is nice.

I would let the circumstances of the hunt dictate which way you go. While I start with a general wish list, I go into the hunt open to taking mature examples of the animals that present themselves - the older the better, even if they aren't the biggest trophy. i prefer this type of flexibility, as it decreases stress and broadens my overall experience.

Good luck, whatever you do. It should be a great hunt.

A Nyala was on the top of my list on my second trip to South Africa. I have a thing for the spiral horned antelopes, and I think that the Nyala is the most beautiful. I had mine done as a half mount, coming out of the wall.

To hunt all of the animals that I wanted on that trip I divided up my hunt with time in Zimbabwe, Kwa-Zulu Natal, and the Free State.

Its only money, and one of your biggest expense is the flight(s) over there. Shots of opportunity at animals not specifically on your "list" will never be easier or cheaper.

I "overshot" on my first South African hunt so I turned down shots at a Zebra and a "great" Red Hartebeest. IMO these animals are icons of Africa, and after thinking about them for several years, they were high on my list on my second South African hunt.

Have a great hunt.

Thanks buffybr for some great advice. Part of why I'm not taking more than 6-7 animals is the sheer cost of taxidermy. I'm a taxidermy snob and can't stand bad work so I take mine to a fantastic (pricey) one here in NM. That being said I have to be careful not to shoot too many and drive that bill through the roof! haha

Hitlist A

Hit list A sir!

You will be going back so I'd concentrate on the best animals or the unique animals the area has to offer so you can experience another area of Africa in the future.

I sure hope you're right but my guess is the return trip will be below other destination hunts on my bucket list i.e. AK Dall Sheep, and NZ Stag and Tahr. The wife is already understanding that I will be planning a Dall hunt by the time I turn 40 (I'm 32) once all my Africa taxidermy is paid for. If/when I return, Cape Buffalo, Eland, and Bushbuck would be at the top of my list, provided I have the wall space by then for a place to put those two giants haha.

You will be going back so I'd concentrate on the best animals or the unique animals the area has to offer so you can experience another area of Africa in the future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kathi6164

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.