Heym Model 89 in 500 NE

I talked with the Heym guys today at the Houston Safari Club expo and told them that Heym was getting a lot of good PR on AH from @matt85

Very nice rifle Matt.

So, did you get to shoot your rifle yet?

So, did you get to shoot your rifle yet?

sadly not, i have no idea when it will show up... hopefully this year.

communication is not one of Heym's strong points... least not in the USA.

-matt

I think firearm industry has a problem with communication in general. In fact I was only ever happy with responsiveness of one Sydney store (Safari Firearms). Otherwise according to my experience shops, importers and distributors both in Poland and Oz need to learn a thing or two about customer service, especially when one buys somewhat expensive products from them. Anyway, hang in there, it will happen!

sadly not, i have no idea when it will show up... hopefully this year.

communication is not one of Heym's strong points... least not in the USA.

-matt

Hi, Matt.

I'm sorry that you feel like we weren't communicating. I thought we were clear in our email exchanges regarding our travel schedule with shows and when we would be back in the office.

Again, sorry if something wasn't clear.

Chris

update, ive got the rifle now and she looks fantastic. ive only fired a couple rounds so I'm going to have to hold out further review until I can get this puppy to a proper range.

-matt

Hi, Matt.

I'm sorry that you feel like we weren't communicating. I thought we were clear in our email exchanges regarding our travel schedule with shows and when we would be back in the office.

Again, sorry if something wasn't clear.

Chris

Merkel USA doesn’t communicate well either until you email the head office in Germany........then you get return emails and personal phone calls. Come to think of it......Ruger didn’t communicate well until I sent an email to the President and CEO.
Just because people are attending “shows” doesn’t mean nobody responds to reasonable communication! When a guy plunks down thousands of $$$$ on a rifle somebody should communicate by the end of the next business day......to do otherwise is just poor business practice.

Matt at least you got some email exchanges without having to raise heck! That is better than what I have received in the past from at least two rifle manufacturers!

update, ive got the rifle now and she looks fantastic. ive only fired a couple rounds so I'm going to have to hold out further review until I can get this puppy to a proper range.

-matt

Look forward to your report!

What a handsome work of art! I can give it some antiquing for you on my next Africa trip:ROFLMAO::LOL::rolleyes:?

You really need to add some character scratches on it:D!

-matt

So, any updates?

sadly i still havent been out the shoot the rifle :(.

i tried to arrange something last weekend but plans fell apart. weather has been pretty bad and work is very demanding but im hoping some time in the next couple weeks.

-matt

sadly i still havent been out the shoot the rifle :(.

i tried to arrange something last weekend but plans fell apart. weather has been pretty bad and work is very demanding but im hoping some time in the next couple weeks.

-matt

Is there an indoor range up there that will let you shoot?

Is there an indoor range up there that will let you shoot?

there isnt even an outdoor range that will let me shoot. only nearby range that will allow this rifle wants me to shoot from the bench... im not doing that! i dont have a day off of work this week but next week ill try and go out into the woods.

-matt

only nearby range that will allow this rifle wants me to shoot from the bench...

:LOL: Get them to shoot it of the bench themselves and post a video here, good to have a laugh every now and then.

:LOL: Get them to shoot it of the bench themselves and post a video here, good to have a laugh every now and then.

funny you should say that, when i went there with my 505 Gibbs they demanded i only shoot from the bench. my response to them was that they should show me it can be done before i was willing to try it.

-matt

Oh it can be done alright, at least ones anyway

there isnt even an outdoor range that will let me shoot. only nearby range that will allow this rifle wants me to shoot from the bench... im not doing that! i dont have a day off of work this week but next week ill try and go out into the woods.

-matt
WOW! That is unfortunate!

I finally got around to shooting the new rifle a little at my neighbors backyard range. The range paced out to only 27 yards so it wasn’t an ideal test but it was better than nothing. Ill rate the rifle on a 1-5 star basis and give my thoughts on each aspect of the rifle. Please keep in mind that this is just a first impression and my opinions could easily change with more trigger time.

Accuracy/Regulation: Stars (****). Given the limited range I was shooting at, I cant be 100% certain of the rifles performance but at this range the rifle grouped and regulated very well with its regulation ammunition (Federal loaded with hydrostatic solids). With this ammunition it put both right and left barrels right next to each other with maybe a .25" gap between them. Windage was perfect but sadly the elevation was 3" low which is why I only gave it 4 stars. The elevation isn't a crisis since I plan on putting a red dot on the gun but ill be interested in seeing how it shoots at longer ranges. I also tried Barnes, Norma, and Hornady ammunition to see if any other factory loads regulated and I’m pleased to say the Barnes regulated quite well (which didn’t surprise me). The Norma loads also sort of work albeit they print about 1.5-2 inches apart, they would probably work in a pinch if nothing else is available. The Hornady loads did not work at all with one barrel hitting near point of aim while the other barrel hit about 12" away.

Fit/Finish: Stars (*****). The fit and finish of this rifle is flawless! The wood meets the steel perfectly with no gaps and the gun locks up like the finest made vault. You actually can’t be too gentle when opening and closing the rifle because the tolerances are so tight it’s a bit stiff (I’m sure use will make it easier).

Triggers: Stars (***). I have mixed feelings about the triggers. On one hand they aren’t overly heavy and don’t creep when pulled. On the other hand there is a first stage you have to get past before you hit a wall and then it fires. If you’re not prepared for it then the first stage will be a bit of a surprise. My first couple of shots with this gun were not great until I got used to the triggers. Keep in mind this review is from a trigger snob... if it were up to me this gun would have a 2 pound single stage trigger in the front with a 4 pound single stage trigger in the rear. Most of my hunting rifles have 1-2 pound trigger pulls and I'm very fond of set triggers.

Weight/Balance: Stars (**). This is where the rifle fails pretty badly considering its price point. The rifle is more then a little heavy at 11 pounds 11 ounces and the point of balance is about 3/4 of an inch forward of the action. This means that any gains in recoil reduction you might get from the gun being extra heavy are canceled out by the slightly muzzle heavy design. This is sort of a double edged sword, on one hand being muzzle heavy causes the recoil to dump strait into your shoulder. But on the other hand being muzzle heavy means you have almost no muzzle flip and your second shot is much faster.

It's still a little early for an overall final conclusion but at this point I have very mixed feelings about the rifle. After some more trigger time ill have a better formed opinion.

-Matt

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwoody

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross