Screen Shot 2022-11-07 at 7.45.10 AM Large.jpeg
    212.5 KB · Views: 246
  • Screen Shot 2022-11-07 at 7.45.11 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2022-11-07 at 7.45.11 AM Large.jpeg
    189 KB · Views: 229
  • Screen Shot 2022-11-07 at 7.45.12 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2022-11-07 at 7.45.12 AM Large.jpeg
    161.3 KB · Views: 311
If I would pick out my own double, that one would definitely be close to fitting the bill.

If I would pick out my own double, that one would definitely be close to fitting the bill.
I feel the same. My heart wants a double but in all sense of practicality I don’t need one for any application.

Nice, but about 1 lb. to light.

Was just reading their "New Gun Notification" email on this one today. Beautiful rifle. Going to be a while before I am in the market for a double it seems, but that is essentially what I am looking for, I agree with @Tokoloshe Safaris that an extra pound or so seems to be what folks say is ideal for that caliber.

Reactions: RTG
I agree. This one would catch one's attention.
Put a pound of gel shoulder pad in your shirt, might be more effective than ruining the balance of the rifle by adding more weight.

Standard weight in a .450-.400 88b is 10.86 lbs.
Standard weight in a .470 89b is 10.51 lbs

That said it one hell of a nice rifle.

If you flinch when you pull the trigger, it might as well weigh 25 pounds.

Put a pound of gel shoulder pad in your shirt, might be more effective than ruining the balance of the rifle by adding more weight.
Would sure ruin the balance of my shirt.

If one can’t learn to shoot a double that’s .75 lbs lighter than standard via some practice, perhaps a 375 bolt gun is just what the doctor ordered.
For almost all my African hunting I do prefer a .375 to my .470 or 500/416. Recoil has nothing to do with it.

For almost all my African hunting I do prefer a .375 to my .470 or 500/416. Recoil has nothing to do with it.
Might be nice to have a shoulder cannon--but why? They can't do anything a good 375 can except pound the piss out of you. And cost a helluva lot more for gun and ammo.

@tygersman1 and @ET1775 There’s been a 470NE double on this forum for many, many months for half the price of this one that is also 1-1.5 pounds too light.

If you’re enthusiastic about underweight large bores you could buy them for about 1/3rd less, clearly an indicator that the demand is less than the supply.

That is a Beautiful Heym, readily available.

I still prefer that 88, over the 89, imo.

I would never advise adding weight to a double. The weight should be built into the rifle. I do not want to get into “the .375H&H is the best “, but I do not know of a Zim PH who would like to move to a smaller caliber for his or her stopping rifle. Fit, balance, proper weight for caliber is essential in a DG rifle.

I would never advise adding weight to a double. The weight should be built into the rifle. I do not want to get into “the .375H&H is the best “, but I do not know of a Zim PH who would like to move to a smaller caliber for his or her stopping rifle. Fit, balance, proper weight for caliber is essential in a DG rifle.
For sure. But I also don’t know a PH who doesn’t want his client to put the first shot on a dangerous game animal in exactly the right spot. Unless the client is very experienced, normally usually most of the time that is best accomplished with something other than a stopping rifle however much it weighs.

But you are correct, we are both straining this thread. I would simply say a .470 requires commitment to master (any double for that matter). Starting with one that is guaranteed to recoil significantly is probably not the place to start.

@tygersman1 and @ET1775 There’s been a 470NE double on this forum for many, many months for half the price of this one that is also 1-1.5 pounds too light.

If you’re enthusiastic about underweight large bores you could buy them for about 1/3rd less, clearly an indicator that the demand is less than the supply.
Been there done that with my first DR that was a 470 and underweight. Miserable to shoot. I sold it bought appropriate weight and never looked back

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grat

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.