Heym for sale

Depending on where we hunt, at the end of the day. I personally rather train harder and hunt comfortably. If you are in the thick stuff rifle is in hand. Walking from spot to spot is different. Just depends.

Maybe I did not do a good job of explaining, that I do for elk hunting. When you pack in for a week it is a little weight. We are in flat land, so to offset that to the best of my abilities I load up the weight. It never hurt my to put some work in. It is better on my knees than running on top of that.

If someone wanted to train to carry a rifle, kettle bells would be just fine. It sounds like a lot, start light and work your way up. You will be surprised what you can accomplish. I'm not a crazy fit person, 6' - 190. When I was younger, I was the same weight just at 9% body fat. Hahaha not the case now.
I’ve said before I bought a 15 pound aerobic trading bar I carry on my power walks so my 11 pound DR feels just fine. $35 on the net

I believe you, but cant get around the fact that you have to log 120 pounds to practice carrying a 12 pound rifle.

That’s a pretty simple thing to understand. Small things can cause tremendous fatigue. This is why “baby frame” shotguns carry such an Uber premium. I can tell you the difference between carrying an 8 pound Beretta or a 6lb English shotgun all day is the difference of several birds a day. The more tired you are, the worse your ”ready position” and the less game you kill. In dangerous game, the heavier the gun, the more fatigued you get, the slower you are to bring a gun to your shoulder in a surprise charge.

Back in the olden days I used to practice quite a bit of falconry and I knew several people that did workout routines to be able to carry 7-10lb eagles on their glove all day because if you weren’t really fit, you’d have beads of sweat on your brow simply from holding your arm at a 90 degree angle for 20 mins with modest weight applied.

If you don’t believe me, get a 2-5 pound dumbbell and hold it out at your side for 2 mins and let me know how much fun that is.

Ounces matter with guns both if too light and if too heavy, depending on if you’re worried about carrying it or worried about absorbing its recoil.

This thread jump started my curiosity, so I broke out the .470 = 10lbs 8oz unloaded with no sling; now that weight does include the recoil reducer that Ken Owen installed when he did the regulation and triggers.

As for training, I knew walking around the streets of Austin Texas with a rifle would be contrary to my freedom; so I found a 4’ long, 12lbs, padded exercise weight and attached rifle sling studs by way of hose clamps and attached a sling and it worked perfect.

I also started carrying my hunting pack and adding an additional 1 liter bottle of water every week until I was carrying a 20kg pack for 15km comfortably.

Then Covid happened and canceled my hunt….

Depending on where we hunt, at the end of the day. I personally rather train harder and hunt comfortably. If you are in the thick stuff rifle is in hand. Walking from spot to spot is different. Just depends.

Maybe I did not do a good job of explaining, that I do for elk hunting. When you pack in for a week it is a little weight. We are in flat land, so to offset that to the best of my abilities I load up the weight. It never hurt me to put some work in. It is better on my knees than running on top of that.

If someone wanted to train to carry a rifle, kettle bells would be just fine. It sounds like a lot, start light and work your way up. You will be surprised what you can accomplish. I'm not a crazy fit person, 6' - 190. When I was younger, I was the same weight just at 9% body fat. Hahaha not the case now.
More hunters should train before hunting.

More hunters should train before hunting.

Totally agree, I have a five mile loop over the hill behind our farm that I hump with pack and rifle when preparing for a hunt.

As a Safari operator we can always manage the excess weight of a rifle by furnishing a gun bearer the same as we do with water. One thing we cannot do is manage a rifle that is to light or does not fit.

Lon

Honestly after working for The Railroad, between the continuous Hiking, Climbing ..& for the love of God, The Frozen Winter Months, .. The .500 would be a welcome transition.

I would love one of these 4lb Shotguns though, It must feel like a broomstick.

Honestly after working for The Railroad, between the continuous Hiking, Climbing ..& for the love of God, The Frozen Winter Months, .. The .500 would be a welcome transition.

I would love one of these 4lb Shotguns though, It must feel like a broomstick.

Yeah, unfortunately they are almost impossible to shoot well.

That’s a pretty simple thing to understand
Inline6 explained it well, i.e these weights were for Elk hunting where you pack up for week or so. Weight makes a difference and therefore needs practice before real life hunting is common knowledge

Even for those of us that live at elevation, putting time in with a pack and rifle in the off-season makes a big difference when we go to the mountains to hunt. I live at 6050' and hunt at elevations from 8500'-13000'. The time spent hiking in the prairie behind the house, even with my light pack at 20#, and whatever rifle suits me that day, pays big dividends when walking down an elk at 10000'. My expectation is the same will apply walking around Africa, even though it will undoubtedly be at significantly lower elevation. Too many spend time at the range, but no time getting in shape for a hunt that requires traveling by foot.

Does the weight of the bullets and slings (leather ones can add 8 oz or more) factor in?
My 470 weighs in at 10.8 pounds and I feel it is enough weight for me to hold at my shoulder and carry. I'm 6', 200 pounds so not small by any means.
Wonder how someone can lug 13 plus pounds of weight all day long and shoot precisely..
I am 6:2 220 and 11 pounds I can carry for the day after exercising with a 15 pound bar I use on my power walks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarshaBott

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.