Heym 89B

So, that is about $7,200. One would be able to use the action/barrel for economical practice and gain experience with the trigger.

Or you can get a SxS shotgun with double triggers to get used to the trigger at a much reduced cost. That was the very valuable advice @Red Leg gave me about a year ago. The downside of course is that if you get hooked into shooting shotguns then they tend to multiply. I went from zero to five in a matter of months.

I would also think there would be stock dimension issues as well. If you think about it, the stock on a rifle is dimensioned so that your eye lines up with an elevated rear express sight. I would think a set of shotgun barrels mounted on a stock meant for a rifle would place your eye too high, causing you to lay your face on the stock, which, as I’ve found out, will smack your cheek all day long!

That being said, I know close to nothing about stock fit, someone correct me if I am wrong!

I would also think there would be stock dimension issues as well. If you think about it, the stock on a rifle is dimensioned so that your eye lines up with an elevated rear express sight. I would think a set of shotgun barrels mounted on a stock meant for a rifle would place your eye too high, causing you to lay your face on the stock, which, as I’ve found out, will smack your cheek all day long!

That being said, I know close to nothing about stock fit, someone correct me if I am wrong!

As I have mentioned elsewhere I had aJeffrey 9.3x74r double with 20 bore barrels...no problem shooting either

I thought about it when at one time I was considering the same thing. A solution is to have a high rib on the shotgun barrels. Still couldn't justify the extra cost.

I thought about it when at one time I was considering the same thing. A solution is to have a high rib on the shotgun barrels. Still couldn't justify the extra cost.

Makes sense to me! I agree, you can probably buy a very nice SxS shotgun for that kind of money.

Has anyone got one of these that you can report back upon? Any problems or second thoughts? I am thinking about it, probably in my favourite 375 H&H flanged magnum or 450/400. I would want the lighter framed model.
Kevin, I absolutely have found my dream caliber in the 450-400. I have the Chapuis but love the caliber.

Or you can get a SxS shotgun with double triggers to get used to the trigger at a much reduced cost. That was the very valuable advice @Red Leg gave me about a year ago. The downside of course is that if you get hooked into shooting shotguns then they tend to multiply. I went from zero to five in a matter of months.
I attest, the shotguns started trending respectively, yikes!

No disrespect intended, but no, not really.

For point of aim, you want a shotgun to pattern so that your shot is high, for a game gun you want 60% to 65% of your pattern above point of aim for rising shots. When you have a perfect double rifle with front and rear sights and you swap it out for a shotgun barrel with only a front bead, you're looking down the bead and it should cause you to shoot high slightly, which is what you want.

As for fit and balance overall, it will be like carrying a pig on a shovel because a game gun should be around 6.5lbs and such a double rifle with shotgun barrels will probably be 7.5lbs, so its not going to be a nice british double shotgun in its mannerisms. Nonetheless, most modern shotguns are overweight turds that are overbuilt to avoid warranty issues, so this configuration on a heym would have that same feel.

If I were to get a set of barrels made, I'd make sure to mail them the chokes to be threaded and I'd positively get a scope mount installed on the barrels too. Thus, I'd be able to put screw in rifled chokes in the gun and have a decent 80-100 yard slug rifle to use when not acting as a double rifle or scatter gun.

When you're spending $20,000-$50,000 on a rifle that gets shot maybe 10-20 rounds a year, anything you can add to it to provide more regularly utility is a good investment, especially if it helps you gain confidence in the weapon.

No disrespect intended, but no, not really.

For point of aim, you want a shotgun to pattern so that your shot is high, for a game gun you want 60% to 65% of your pattern above point of aim for rising shots. When you have a perfect double rifle with front and rear sights and you swap it out for a shotgun barrel with only a front bead, you're looking down the bead and it should cause you to shoot high slightly, which is what you want.

As for fit and balance overall, it will be like carrying a pig on a shovel because a game gun should be around 6.5lbs and such a double rifle with shotgun barrels will probably be 7.5lbs, so its not going to be a nice british double shotgun in its mannerisms. Nonetheless, most modern shotguns are overweight turds that are overbuilt to avoid warranty issues, so this configuration on a heym would have that same feel.

If I were to get a set of barrels made, I'd make sure to mail them the chokes to be threaded and I'd positively get a scope mount installed on the barrels too. Thus, I'd be able to put screw in rifled chokes in the gun and have a decent 80-100 yard slug rifle to use when not acting as a double rifle or scatter gun.

When you're spending $20,000-$50,000 on a rifle that gets shot maybe 10-20 rounds a year, anything you can add to it to provide more regularly utility is a good investment, especially if it helps you gain confidence in the weapon.

Thanks rook for the explanation! I learn something new every day...

I’m very close to buying one myself. I will go with the 450/400 too.

Don't forget, you can always get a two rifle barrel set as well. A 450-400 is a great "do-all", but a two barrel set of 375 and 470 might give you even more flexibility...for a price.

As I have mentioned elsewhere I had aJeffrey 9.3x74r double with 20 bore barrels...no problem shooting either

And in a moment of pure insanity you sold it!

Yes sir that is the plan. I went to the Heym shop recently and had a great conversation with Chris Sells (that man knows his stuff) and I was sold on Heym!
I don't think we will be disappointed with our choice Martin, I spent quite a long time with the South African agent Andrew Tonkin taking a very close look, they are first and foremost mechanically superb - lockup, metal to wood finish, etc. But they also balance beautifully. I was considering the light frame originally, you can get a 450/400 in that too, but It is a better balance with the Africa frame at 4.5kg. That is the one Phil Masaro used filming those Heym videos in Mozambique. Anyway, please keep me abreast.

I don't think we will be disappointed with our choice Martin, I spent quite a long time with the South African agent Andrew Tonkin taking a very close look, they are first and foremost mechanically superb - lockup, metal to wood finish, etc. But they also balance beautifully. I was considering the light frame originally, you can get a 450/400 in that too, but It is a better balance with the Africa frame at 4.5kg. That is the one Phil Masaro used filming those Heym videos in Mozambique. Anyway, please keep me abreast.

Yes sir I will!

@Kevin Peacocke I’m curious as I’ve certainly seen what sweating on a rifle in the Zimbabwe bush does to metal finishes, why not get the case hardened exterior? Yes, the case colors will be gone in a year, but the rust resistance from the colorless case remaining would provide more longevity, wouldn’t it? Or is the standard heym coin finish rust resistant as well?

@Kevin Peacocke I’m curious as I’ve certainly seen what sweating on a rifle in the Zimbabwe bush does to metal finishes, why not get the case hardened exterior? Yes, the case colors will be gone in a year, but the rust resistance from the colorless case remaining would provide more longevity, wouldn’t it? Or is the standard heym coin finish rust resistant as well?
@rookhawk the Heym plain metal finish is also nitride hardened, so it should be ok. The choice was partly financial, and partly I just like the plain metal.

I use nitride hardened rods on hydraulic cylinders I build for my forestry equipment. These outlast chrome coatings, and never seem to rust. These are outside all year. I love nitrided coatings for this application,. I am not sure if what they use on rifles is the same., But if it is I would love that on a rifle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MckinleySv

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.