Heym 89B

Hi Lon, according to their brochure it does indeed have the Greener bolt, which is the strongest reason for me to be considering it. Yes please share that email with me, i would like to get all the info I can.
Kevin

Hi Kevin, a few pictures. From Top to bottom.
-88 .470 NE
-89 .450/400
-88 .375 H&H

IMG_4287.JPG
IMG_4288.JPG
IMG_4289.JPG

I had/have(used/fired both kind of that rifle.
They are great rifles, the best in the range up to 40.000 euros.
They start - with some extras - ca. 15.000 euros, and for 20.000 euros you get some nice extras.

Both have the greener bolt, with is not the prettyest, but the easast to build, "regulat" and later re-fixed.
They are Heym 88 doubles, with had over 30 years in africa, in the field, and fired over 2.000 rounds without real problems.

The different is "only" the design. The 89 is more english, the 88 is more german (in german we have doubles for hunderts of years).
And - this is important -:

a.)
The 88 had the better "wood to metal line".
Then you look - maybe on the Heym DVD from 2016 - you will see older Heym doubles, from 1900 to the end of the 1920thys (sometimes build for the maharadschas of India), witch are simular to the Heym Mod. 89 b.
Then Heym planed to build doubles (on an regulary basis, sometimes they build some special ords n the 1950 and 1960tyhs also) in the middle of the 1980thys again, they test all the possiblitys and create the action, "where the metal goes into the stock". This is stronger and helps to neutralise the impact of the recoil.

b.)
The 88 have the cocking indicators.
You can see it above in the post (picture in the middle).
This is an masterpeace of german engeniering and great in the field.
(But this is not trad. english, so it was not build in the 89).

Also, one of the reasons I chose the Heym double for DG is their interrupting sears. I know a PH that had his older double fire when it fell over after being leaned up against a tree. While nothing will prevent an accidental discharge due to an inadvertently pull trigger, the interrupting sears will prevent a jar off due to a fall, dropping the rifle, falling out of the truck rack, etc. To be honest, at this point I do not remember if the Chapuis has interrupting sears or not but that might be consideration.

Intercepting sears would most likely stop an ND due to the rifle falling down etc. when the safety is OFF. However, VC or Chapuis will not fire if the safety is ON and the rifle is dropped. If the safety is OFF then it just depends on the jar.

I call it a non-issue for me as I release the safety while shouldering the firearm whether it is a double rifle or a shotgun.

Hi Lon, according to their brochure it does indeed have the Greener bolt, which is the strongest reason for me to be considering it. Yes please share that email with me, i would like to get all the info I can.
Kevin
Hi Kevin, You are correct on the cross bolt. When I first got interested there was not much info at the time. At the time that it was first announced we were doing a buffalo hunt for a German who was doing promo work for Heym using one of their bolt guns. We discussed the virtues of 88b against 89b at that time. I was thinking he was telling me it did not have a crossbolt my mistake.

Please send me a PM with your e-mail address and I will forward you the e-mail I have on the 88B & 89B.

Cheers, Lon Denney

The big different between the 88B and 89B is the design with the latter looking more like a British rifle as others have said. Whether that is worth a $10K or so premium over the same rifle in 88B is up to the buyer. I doubt a buffalo or an elephant will know the difference.

After finally getting my covid shots I got to Johannesburg last week, then counted off the hours until Andrew the Heym agent was able to see me this morning in Pretoria. He brought out the three 450/400's he had and the standard one was perfect , right pull, right drop, right cast - looks like I am a 'standard'. The one with the longer lop was way off. This is the 4.5kg Africa frame which I found very comfortable. No engraving, no colour, just plain quality is enough for me.
So, my friends, order is in, deposit is paid, and now the unbearable wait begins. Couldnt be happier!

After finally getting my covid shots I got to Johannesburg last week, then counted off the hours until Andrew the Heym agent was able to see me this morning in Pretoria. He brought out the three 450/400's he had and the standard one was perfect , right pull, right drop, right cast - looks like I am a 'standard'. The one with the longer lop was way off. This is the 4.5kg Africa frame which I found very comfortable. No engraving, no colour, just plain quality is enough for me.
So, my friends, order is in, deposit is paid, and now the unbearable wait begins. Couldnt be happier!
Congratulations sir!

Has anyone got one of these that you can report back upon? Any problems or second thoughts? I am thinking about it, probably in my favourite 375 H&H flanged magnum or 450/400. I would want the lighter framed model.

That's a really good question @Kevin Peacocke , not enough thought these days about the significance of Frame Size for carrying a double in the bush, is there?

I don't have the answer you need, but I do have another variable to add to the equation. Why more people are not ordering Heyms with a set of 20 gauge barrels, I have no idea. The cost of shooting NE rounds is so high the idea of building muscle memory by using that gun for 10,000 shots a year seems like a really good idea. So then on to the variable: which of the frame sizes is compatible with 20gauge barrels?

I love my Heym 470 but every time I look at it languishing in the gun case I can't help but long for shotgun barrels so I could take it out and shoot it every month at the gun club.

One more anecdote that suggests maybe frame size doesn't matter though My 470NE was built as a true "client gun". Somehow, my 88 was lightened to a very svelte 9.5lbs instead of the standard 10.5lbs. It has german claw mounts and when you add the S&B 1-6x illuminated dangerous game scope to it, it is absolutely ideal weight for a 470NE. So somehow, Heym was able to make the gun weigh exactly what it should 10.75lbs, with scope as they normally weigh without a scope. That raises the question, does frame size matter? It seems like you could order a standard frame and get it to weigh the same as a small frame, or you could order a jumbo frame (577-600) and get it to weigh that of a standard frame too?

Yes @Daniel Carry, 89b Africa frame.
@rookhawk, i agree frame size is important. Apart from checking the lop, drop and cast this morning I was also checking whether I could handle the weight and balance. The Africa frame at 4.5kg was at the top of my tolerance but doable, and although I have never fired one in 450/400, I am told it is mild. I can carry this double all day on a sling and hold it on stedy aim for about 10 seconds free standing. My little Verner in 375Flanged Magnum is like a feather at 7.75 pounds and I can hold aim for maybe 20 seconds. But the recoil is a bit lively, like a 375 H&H in a Ruger No1.

What is the added cost of a set of shotgun barrels at time of purchase?

Not sure, but after the fact to make ejectors, forend, and barrels it's $8000. Devastating news for me.

WIth the initial order, they can probably do it for a lot less.

Based on their latest price list, 4760 euros. Multiply that by about 1.51 and you have a sale price in USD, including exchange rate and excise tax.

So, that is about $7,200. One would be able to use the action/barrel for economical practice and gain experience with the trigger. How does overall weight with shotgun compare with rifle? I would think less. It would be convenient. You could shoot over 2,000 rounds of reloaded rifle ammo instead.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrittGibb4

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross